Games you think need more attention

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Dragonheart57 said:
I'll say the main Shin Megami Tensei series. Persona seems to overshadow it tremendously, but I've never found them particularly appealing.
This too. I love the Shin Megami Tensei games. I really wish more people were aware of the main series, rather than just the Persona spinoffs.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009

Ape Escape here doesn't really get the love it deserves. A fun adventure that has you going around with a time net to capture these rogue monkeys that have gained sentience through the use of a stolen special helmet. You get a wide variety of gadgets to choose from that all have their own unique charm. It makes extreme use of the dual analog sticks in such a fashion that was always astounding, and overall just feels great and enjoyable to play.

Poor Sir Daniel Fortesque in MediEvil, who would make me love skeletons for the rest of eternity. A seemingly wonky skeleton embarking on a treacherous quest will always make for a good time

At least Sir Daniel and Spike both made it into that PS3 smash bros game, Playstation All Stars.

Tomba, the freaking pink haired jungle kid that goes around swinging a blackjack (Basically a flail), using it to just pound pigs right in their faces as he searches for his grandfather's bracelet that was stolen by said pigs. The controls feel wonderful, you interact with everything by biting it/them, and you store items in your stomach which include but are not limited to: 6 live birds, a dog, a tornado, buckets, etc.

Just all wonderful wonderful games I grew up with that I'm sad to see overlooked.

Although there are many downsides to games like these being overlooked, we could also take some relief in that fact as well, since they then would not have to suffer the same fates as characters like Crash and Spyro

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The Saboteur

In my mind this game nailed everything it set out to do. However, everyone ignored the involved story, the well rounded characters, the well done humour, the poignant final confrontation, and the absolute MOST fun free roaming and dicking about this side of Just Cause 2, and instead tore it a new one just because it didn't have the budget to make the climbing like Assassin's Creed (despite our protagonist being an untrained regular joe).

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
FLY'N and Noitu Love 2 Devolution

FLY'N is a great puzzle platformer with some excellent artstyle

and Noitu Love is a very unique 2D beat em up, tough it plays more like metal slug

come on, go nuts

FLY'N: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223730/

Noitu Love 2 Devolution: http://store.steampowered.com/app/207530/

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Vault101 said:
I think Wolfenstein: the new order was far better than it should have been
I would almost call that an understatement.

Wolfenstein was like Resident Evil 4 playing it straight... and succeeding. Also giving us one of the most likeable and noble action heroes I've seen in a long time. Though I think it gets enough attention -- nearly every review seems to boil down to "How the fuck can it be this good?!"

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Skies of Arcadia.

I don't have to explain myself do I? Sky pirates and sky ship battles are awesome.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
Section 8: Prejudice. I consider it to be one of the best objective based multiplayer games. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any other multiplayer shooters that have done a Battlefield-esque conquest mode that also includes random additional objectives. Also it's not particularly bloated, there are around 7 weapons or so, and they all have different ammo variants that can affect operation significantly. Plus you could call down various stationary defenses and vehicles.

Overall it may not be the best of games but it had some very, very good and in my opinion well implemented ideas. It deserved to be more than just written off as a bad halo clone.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
I would like to echo praise for Space Rangers and Hostile Waters. I would like to add my tuppence for Gratuitous Space Battles. It's an unusual pure-design game where you design spacecraft (fighters, destroyers and cruisers), set them up like a chess game - you on one side and the enemy on the other - give the ships broad instructions - and then let them go.

After that, all you can do is watch the destruction - but it is beautiful, easy to get into, has a lot of re-play value and is well worth a look.

I do not look as highly upon Gratuitous Tank Battles, which is more tower-defense game and hasn't managed to capture the genius of the original.

SpaceChem is excellent too.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Baten Kaitos (Yes, even the first one), A lot of the Tales games - Symphonia gets constant, well deserved praise but I hardly hear anyone mention any of the others, I'm still not sure why Xillia wasn't the biggest JRPG of the last gen, it was a hell sight better than anything Squeenix was doing with Final Fantasy.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Henry Hatsworth in The Puzzling Adventure is a really great game that makes some of the best use of the DS' two screens I've seen (the top screen is an action platformer and the bottom screen is a Bejewled-style puzzle game, with lots of interaction between the two). Added to that, it has some really charming sprite-work, a great sense of humor and a memorable soundtrack. I recommend it to everyone and I've only ever met one other person who played it.

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber has something of a cult following, but I've still never seen an SRPG that plays quite like it. It really gives you the feeling that you're the commander of an army instead of some kind of super-ghost possessing the body of every individual member of one.

Skies of Arcadia, because who could fail to love an RPG in which one of the playable characters is cyborg Captain Ahab. This game also managed to get exploring the world map right in a way that few other games ever have. Every time I get to a sailing segment in Wind Waker, I wish I was playing Skies of Arcadia instead.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Smooth Operator said:
Hawken is pretty solid but pretty much like you said, it's hard to enjoy a multiplayer game that lacks a large player base. I haven't played in a while but I remember it kind of falling into the same sad state of affairs most dying multiplayer games end up in: You frequently end up matched with super-high level guys who've been playing obsessively since launch day or the odd new players who haven't quite gotten curb stomped enough by said high-level guys to be permanently dissuaded yet. And if you live in somewhere more remote you get to combine that with 250+ ping in a game where every little moment counts. However at least in Hawken's case you can still get a full match pretty regularly. Its a little sad when you remember or hear about all these great multiplayer games over the years that either died too soon or never had enough players to really be alive to begin with. I remember eagerly installing multiplayer Source and CryEngine mods off the discs from PC gaming mags only to find the server browser totally empty or close to it. If only we could grab say, 50% of Counter Strike, TF2, Dota, World of Tanks, etc. - the current 'big' multiplayer games and spread them across the many ones that either don't currently have or never had the playerbases they deserved.

One of these kinds of games is Neotokyo, a multiplayer FPS that somehow manages to be both quite simple and deeply complex that has in this case thankfully gotten an influx of players with its recent official Steam release (though it still deserves a hell of a lot more.) This is a game that knows that less is more, you choose from 3 classes with a couple different abilities and a primary weapon, not a whole lot of options to go round overall yet every one of them has it's place and can be used effectively. There's a lot of varied maps and a ton of approaches you can take in each of them. It's free and is a relatively small download, there's pretty much no reason not to at least try it.
It also has maybe one of the greatest soundtracks of anything, ever. And its a free mod - furthermore a multiplayer mod.
How does that even work?

StoleitfromKilgore said:
Seconding Ice-Pick Lodge. The Void is the one of the damn few games that has genuinely moved me in some way, and though I haven't played Pathologic its still a game everyone should at least know exists. Rock Paper Shotgun's 3 part analysis of it is well worth reading for just about anyone and I'm eagerly anticipating the upcoming remake which will hopefully feature a decent English translation.

Hadn't heard of Cryostasis or The Cat Lady before but am definitely checking them out now.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Starfighter 3000 was pretty revolutionary. I mean it was kind of a bad game all things considered, but so many people don't even know it existed.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
RandV80 said:
I guess it was a PSP game that not many heard of, but it just came out on Steam and anyone who likes JRPG's should get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I'm only a few hours in but so far I love everything about it.
Speaking of PSP games - Kingdom of Paradise is possibly one of my favorite games ever made.

Also, Monster Hunter is an absolutely fantastic series and deserves far, far more attention than it currently gets.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Squilookle said:
The Saboteur

In my mind this game nailed everything it set out to do. However, everyone ignored the involved story, the well rounded characters, the well done humour, the poignant final confrontation, and the absolute MOST fun free roaming and dicking about this side of Just Cause 2, and instead tore it a new one just because it didn't have the budget to make the climbing like Assassin's Creed (despite our protagonist being an untrained regular joe).

I've been craving a peculiar combination of hitman, assassin, rogue, stalker and possibly free roaming gameplay that primarily involves killing Nazis.

I wasn't sure The Saboteur would be good but this convinced me to give it a chance.

Personally, I think the Godfather The Game should get more attention. It really captures the feeling of being a mobster and very few games make you play as a secondary-character and not the hero who everyone decides will save literally everything.
It's one of the few games where the goal is BEING the villain. It also has sweet character customization and I got really attached to mine in the story. The voice-acting is also great. Sure the animations look crude and primitive, but yet, they are so much more expressive than in other games.

I will acknowledge, however, that the game has many flaws. But I don't consider them significant enough to be a deal-breaker. They're really just little things that weren't polished enough, as if the game was rushed.

If you want a game that gives you a personalized experience of being a shady mob crook, this is definitely the first one to try.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Actually I think Timeshift is something that gets surprisingly little love. It wasn't fantastic or anything, but it was a really solid game.

The time mechanics weren't revolutionary, but they stayed fun and useful the whole time.

Sad they didn't get a second one.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
New Frontiersman said:
Dragonheart57 said:
I'll say the main Shin Megami Tensei series. Persona seems to overshadow it tremendously, but I've never found them particularly appealing.
This too. I love the Shin Megami Tensei games. I really wish more people were aware of the main series, rather than just the Persona spinoffs.
I actually got into the Persona games first, and got SMT 4 on an eshop sale. I'm liking it a lot so far, even if it can be hard as balls sometimes. Is Nocturne as good as people say it is? How does it compare to 4? A local store has it for cheap

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
The Secret World, an MMO that focuses on puzzle solving and riddles instead of go here kill x number of y, don't get me wrong there re missions like that but they're just small missions scattered in between the larger mission hubs so you don't get bored running around.

Instead of a class system you pick two weapons (out of s total of nine) each weapon has its own skill tree, and you can change weapons at anytime so you never get stuck in a class.

TheMightyNaan

Jul 27, 2014
lacktheknack said:
"The Movies" is probably the best thing Peter Molyneux ever did. If there had been a couple small changes to how the queueing works, it would be my favorite game ever.

Get it with the expansion pack, it's well worth the money.
100% this, sunk 100s of hours into this game back in the day

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
State of Decay is one I feel should be mentioned. Open world, no linear bullshit and if your people die, they stay dead.
Adds to the realistic feel. Game takes planning and careful though. Been some time since I had so much fun in a zombie apocalypse.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
TheMightyNaan said:
lacktheknack said:
"The Movies" is probably the best thing Peter Molyneux ever did. If there had been a couple small changes to how the queueing works, it would be my favorite game ever.

Get it with the expansion pack, it's well worth the money.
100% this, sunk 100s of hours into this game back in the day
YES.

I know modding kinda stopped (I think) when the Movies Online went away, but I wish it didn't. I don't even know if they ever released a tool or tools.