Games you're going to finish someday, you swear.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I was thinking about it the other day and I realized I have a number of games that I started and maybe made some progress in before stopping and just never got back to. I do have some interest in them or else I wouldn't be even thinking about them anymore but it seems like it's never the right time to jump back in, for whatever reason.

Off the top of my head:

-Dragon Age: Origins. I've started this game 3 times. I've never actually beat it, and I've only gotten a little further each time, the most recently time I finished Redcliff and then the mage tower before stopping. I do want to finish it, since everyone keeps telling me it's good but I keep feeling like I was playing it wrong last time and I'm going to have to start over again next time.

-Demons Souls. I really liked Dark Souls(to my suprise) and Demons Souls feels like Dark Souls 0. Yet I got to the big bridge and just kinda stopped like 3 years ago and haven't picked it back up again. I've played through Dark Souls 2 and BloodBorne in that time but can't seem to bring myself to jump back into Demons Souls. I'm not really sure what it is that's stopping me either other then it's not pulling me in like the other Souls games did.

-Hollow Knight. Okay, this is a bit of a cheat since I've almost completed the game. I've gotten 2 of the bad endings(from defeating the Hollow Knight alone and with Hornet) and I've fought the Radiance. I've just not gotten back into the game to actually BEAT the Radiance. I could probably beat her with like an hour or so of solid attempts, I just haven't gotten myself back in the mood to jump back in and finish the job.

-Octopath Traveler. I finished all the chapter 1s and some of the chapter 2s before....running into a tough boss fight or two and just taking a break. And I'm still on break. I do like the game and I really do want to see the rest of it, but it's mostly knowing just how fucking long this game is and how each boss fight can take something like 30 minutes to beat(or 30 minutes and then get my ass kicked) that keeps dissasuding me.

-Outer Wilds. This game is fascinating....and I have no idea where to go next, which is part of the reason I haven't jumped back into it recently. And I keep kicking myself because I do really like what I see.

-The Saboteur. It's an open world game about running around WW2 Paris killing Nazis and blowing up their stuff so I can get more explosives and weapons to blow up more Nazi stuff. It sells itself. I think the only reason I haven't gotten back into it is because I burnt myself out hard on Open World game over the past year(AC:Odyessy, I'm looking at you) so another Open World game isn't really doing much for me right now.

-Arcanum. I've heard a lot of cool things about this game. I've tried restarting several times and have yet to make it much past the first town. I always feel like I built my character wrong and screwed myself hard(the character creation/upgrade screen is obtuse as all hell).

What about you guys?

For the purposes of this thread, I'm going to ask that it's limited to:
-Games that have some sort of achievable "ending"(story,mission, etc), not games that run forever until you get bored(IE pretty much all mutiplayer games). A open world post-game doesn't really count here.
-Games you do actually want to finish but didn't for whatever reason, not games you gave up on.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Fire Emblem Three House's and Astral Chain. i have heard lots of good things about these but i have been too pre-occupied with life and other Switch releases like Links Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3 i haven't been able to sit down and properly enjoy those 3 yet

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Chrono Trigger. I made it as far as the second Antiquity visit, but I couldn't defeat Giga Gaia. Ended up just ragequitting because I was a dumb kid who didn't have the patience to grind or try a different team. Eventually I'm going to have to finish that.

Tales of Vesperia. I got about 30 hours in, and still no end in sight. It's got a great story, but I was having some trouble with the battles. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and play on Easy next time.

Hyper Light Drifter. On separate files, I've finished all of the first three areas, but I keep starting over and haven't managed to bring it together yet.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Every single game in my library since 2015.
My ability to focus on one thing for long enough to finish a whole game has completely evaporated. It doesn't help that there's at least two time-worthy games released every couple of weeks. I play a game solidly for a week, then jump back to the game I bought before that, then back and forth for a while then back to something random. Just picked up Dishonoured 2 after ages away from it, while still exploring The Division 2 about a week after I decided I was bored playing Mutant Year Zero, after quite liking a few weeks in Just Cause 4.
Still have to finish Spiderman, GTA5, Prey, Unity, Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey, The Witcher 3, Mafia 3. And many fun little indie games.

Games now seem just a way of spending some time in a certain world, atmosphere, or physics system for a brief while, as the mood takes me.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'd like to finish Skyrim some day. Basically I got distracted from the main quest, as you do, and then eventually got distracted from the game itself. Now... the scope of the game is daunting as it is, and I don't feel like "learning how to play" all over again when I'm pretty close (I think) to the end. I was having trouble with some fights as it were.

Also having played Assassin's Creed 1, 2, 2.5, 2.75 and 4, and owning 3 and 3: Black Lady, that feels like unfinished business too.

Oh I left off Disgaea 3 unfinished as well... don't know if I'll ever go back to that though.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
leet_x1337 said:
Hyper Light Drifter. On separate files, I've finished all of the first three areas, but I keep starting over and haven't managed to bring it together yet.
Shit, I'd forgotten about this one. I finished the North and East areas, but the Boss of the West area(the Cat dude who spawns flunkies from the crystals) keeps kicking my ass and I haven't yet been able to take him down.

And I want to see the Southern area. Someday.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Dalisclock said:
-Dragon Age: Origins. I've started this game 3 times. I've never actually beat it, and I've only gotten a little further each time, the most recently time I finished Redcliff and then the mage tower before stopping. I do want to finish it, since everyone keeps telling me it's good but I keep feeling like I was playing it wrong last time and I'm going to have to start over again next time.
As much as I adore Dragon Age: Origins, it kind of makes sense when I remember my experience with Dragon Age 2. I think it mostly depends on the character you create. I couldn't get into Dragon Age 2 with a male Hawke at all. But a rogue sarcastic female Hawke was so much fun to play with. With Dragon Age: Origins, I could get into pretty much every possible race/class, and I did, eventually. But my favorite is still the generic male warrior. I found it more immersive to discover a new world as a regular human male since that's what I am. But that's just me.

I mostly just want to replay a few older games. And incidentally, Dragon Age 1 and 2 and The Saboteur are on that list.

Oh, I just now remembered that I never actually completed Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. And I hear there's a mod that combines both. I want to play those games to completion. But RDR2 is on the horizon and god only knows how long I'm gonna be playing it since I don't have a lot of time these days.

Aug 31, 2012
Hmm...

I have a vague desire to finish all the missions from Space Hulk Ascension, because it's Space Hulk. Unfotunately the levelling system makes it too easy too quickly so you do lose interest. But it's Space Hulk.

Battlefleet Gothic 2 Imperial Campaign. Basic gameplay is good and I want to see the end of the story, but the battles do get a bit samey after a while and the campaign is pretty long. One I go and play a few missions every month or 2.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The PreSequel. Played it on release and got as far as Claptrap's head. My friends picked it up recently and we're playing together. But it's slow going and I'm already losing interest

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Dalisclock said:
-The Saboteur. It's an open world game about running around WW2 Paris killing Nazis and blowing up their stuff so I can get more explosives and weapons to blow up more Nazi stuff. It sells itself. I think the only reason I haven't gotten back into it is because I burnt myself out hard on Open World game over the past year(AC:Odyessy, I'm looking at you) so another Open World game isn't really doing much for me right now.
Oh you absolutely should return to it someday. A much stronger story and main character arc than most sandboxes (hell most games in general), and that last level just absolutely... no, no I don't want to spoil anything. If you're feeling a bit burned out on it at the moment, spend a bit of time just harassing the Nazis and taking out some freeplay targets away from missions, at whatever pace you prefer. There is honestly no NPC authority force in any sandbox game more satisfying to ruin the day of than the Nazis in Saboteur. Once I unlocked that 'Resistance backup' perk, I'd often sit on rooftops and call in a car of resistance fighters right into a group of German soldiers just to see who will win. Working out how to blow stuff up without getting noticed is quite fun too, and very dynamic for a game like this. I really think the key is to play it at your own pace. I think I slow walked nearly everywhere and lit up a cigarette after every single mission I completed. Great stuff.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The Deus Ex series. I've played both the OG game for about two levels and Human Revolution for maybe three hours or so. Something about them just didn't click with me. I feel like I should like them. Cyberpunk games set in the near future with human augmentations and some awesome political stuff thrown in along with conspiracies. I should love it. Something about how the games play just turns me off.

Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'll make it past the Hinterlands one day. I swear I will! It doesn't help I find the gameplay just awful and the combat boring. There's one spot that always breaks me in the Hinterlands. It's a massive forest with like a dozen or so bears scattered about. These bears take forever to kill. I accidentally aggro one and just die of boredom slowly bringing it's massive health bar down. Add in the absurd amount of busy quests, I've been told to literally just skip these, and I just hang in the towel.

Mass Effect: Andromeda. For however bad the characters and story may be, I found what I witnessed OK, the combat though I found amazing. Just held down by some awful mechanics like resource collection, busy-work, and crafting. One day though, I'll manage to push through.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I've gotten much better at just admitting to myself that I will not be finishing a game and letting it go. Now that I'm an "adult" and my free time is more limited I've just had to accept that I won't be able to sink as much time into my games as I would like. Anything that isn't extremely unique or engaging often ends up unfinished. That being said....

Divinity Original Sin. I've started multiple playthrough but have bounced off of it each time. I am trying to get a coop campaign with my friend going to hopefully be my final push to break in.

I keep Grim Dawn installed out of sheer stubbornest. Dungeon crawlers aren't typically my thing but I got it on sale and enjoyed what I played. But now that I lost my inertia there's little appealing to me about jumping back into a game with a bunch of stats and abilities I'll have to figure out again. I feel compelled to tell myself I'll get back to it though just due to the fact that I got (I think) pretty deep into the game.

I am currently working my way through Ace Combat 7 one mission at a time. I'm enjoying it but it's not a casual pick up and play game for me. I've got to be in the right mood.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Aragami. Really love the sneaky ghost aspect of that game, and the light/dark physics is fun.

Styx: Master of Shadows. Another sneaky game, I enjoy the hell out of it, but I get distracted by something else, and put it down. Currently the distractions are Divinity: OS 2 (which I have also put down, and will be next entry) and Outer Worlds.

Divinity: OS 2. See above comment. I enjoy this game, now that I have an idea what's going on. I don't really....care about what's going on though? I mean, I just found myself not really connected at all to the different quests the people are doing, I have no real direct investment. And I found the quests that just got abandoned during development make me less inclined to continue. I'll talk to some NPC, get what seems like an interesting quest (Like trying to save Buddy the dog's mate)....only to find..no, you can't do anything to help the doggo, she's just screwed. Which really sucks since I can actually TALK to the animals, so I have more emotional invesment in them. Can't save the doggo on the drowning ship in the introduction, I can either just abandon it, or kill it....yeah that's fun. The companion quests are all just so....meh? I dunno, I don't really find myself invested in them. I find the combat system interesting, and I'm having fun turning the encounters to my favor. But as far as actual personal investment in the story? Not really.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Pretty sure I?ll finish

- The Witcher 3
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- The Evil Within
- Wolfenstein: TNO
- Deus Ex: HR Director?s Cut
- C&C: Tiberium Wars (maybe)

Really more interested in getting through RDR2 and Dark Souls 3 for starters though.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
More and more I find, as work gets longer and the days shorter...

-No More Heroes (beaten on Sweet but that's not the 'real' final boss)
-Disgaea 3
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-God of War 3

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Second Skyrim. I've tried a few times, but while I like making a new character, and going to that mine where you get the spell that turns iron ore into silver and then gold and forging lots of gold jewelry (though you level up fast in non-combat stuff so not that great an idea), I lose interest. Even when trying out some of the zillions of weird and wonderful mods. Being able to fly was cool.

And a few games from Spiderweb (some Avernum (the old ones) and Nethergate) which I lost interest in as well.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Samtemdo8 said:
A vast majority of RPGs I bought on GOG.
That's basically my backlog. I have the Pillars and Divinity series I haven't even touched. I was gonna start Pillars of Eternity once I finished Salty Souls(Salt and Sanctuary) but now the Outer World is out and apparently pretty good.

So yeah.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Elfgore said:
Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'll make it past the Hinterlands one day. I swear I will! It doesn't help I find the gameplay just awful and the combat boring. There's one spot that always breaks me in the Hinterlands. It's a massive forest with like a dozen or so bears scattered about. These bears take forever to kill. I accidentally aggro one and just die of boredom slowly bringing it's massive health bar down. Add in the absurd amount of busy quests, I've been told to literally just skip these, and I just hang in the towel.
Apparently the Hinterlands is the slowest part and once you get out of that area it gets better. This is all secondhand though since I've yet to even finish Origins and never even tried the other 2.