Games you've beaten in 2021.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Here's the thing, Ada's campaign is base breaker and case of love it or hate it. Chris or hers tend to get the most scorn. The reason Chris's scenario gets so much scorn is that it comes off as a generic military shooter. That and the theme of Chris constantly losing his men feel forced and unneeded. If it were up to me, Chris partner should have been Jill. Better dynamic. While with Leon, they should have just brought back Claire. That way you would have gotten one big Raccoon City family reunion.
I understand the "generic" complaint, but a lot of the time, I'll take something generic that works over something unique that doesn't.

Concerning the partner ideas, of replacing Piers with Jill and Helena with Claire, weirdly enough, playing RE6 has made me more wary of that idea. Like, it's not bad, and I get the appeal. However, it runs into problems. If we replace Piers with Jill, for instance, and keep everything else the same, then Jill's left with an unsatisfying send-off that's a borderline repeat of RE6. If we replace Helena with Claire, then you'd have to rewrite Leon's campaign significantly. So if we're in the territory of having to rewrite a story entirely to make changes work...well, I'm usually uneasy about that. As someone well familiar with fanfic spheres, I usually get very wary of claims of "I'm going to write story X, but do it right this time!," because 9 times of 10, it isn't better. And yes, I've done novelizations, and I've made changes where I thought appropriate, but I've tried to keep my ego in check.

There's also another issue that I'm wary of RE relying too much on the same cast, because if you look at the mainline entries beyond RE2, we've usually had a combination of a pre-existing character (or characters) mixed with new characters. Much as I like the "big four" of the franchise, variety's good as well.

Jake and Sherry are usually in 2nd place when it comes to the campaign ratings. I find it funny that they try to set up Jake as the Dante of RE, and imply in his ending that he would be carrying the series forward. Only for Capcom to drop him like nothing happened. Then again, that's always been a problem with RE series.
A problem, yeah, but I really don't care if Jake comes back or not. Of all the main entry characters that could return, Jake isn't going to rank highly for me anytime soon.

I get what you mean by Dante (at least going by archtypes), but I can't stand Jake. A lot of that has to do with the writing of his campaign, but even as a character, he's got a generic plot arc, and is simultaniously pissed off that his daddy's a psycho, while also pissed at Chris for killing his psycho daddy. Um, sure, Jake...you do you...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Adding in

Death Crown - A fairly Nice Strategy game marred down but gimmick boss fights some of which literally require you to cheese the hell out of the game

Boss 101 - A shooter / boss fighting game where the unique gimmick is you can mix and match up Boss parts to make it so you end up fighting a Boss with the attacks and abilities you want. You also can choose what weapons a boss is strong against or weak against to change your loadout to fight them more easily. But basically each boss you defeat thins out the pool of parts so you do end up having to face bosses with parts you may have been trying to avoid later down the line.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I understand the "generic" complaint, but a lot of the time, I'll take something generic that works over something unique that doesn't.

Concerning the partner ideas, of replacing Piers with Jill and Helena with Claire, weirdly enough, playing RE6 has made me more wary of that idea. Like, it's not bad, and I get the appeal. However, it runs into problems. If we replace Piers with Jill, for instance, and keep everything else the same, then Jill's left with an unsatisfying send-off that's a borderline repeat of RE6. If we replace Helena with Claire, then you'd have to rewrite Leon's campaign significantly. So if we're in the territory of having to rewrite a story entirely to make changes work...well, I'm usually uneasy about that. As someone well familiar with fanfic spheres, I usually get very wary of claims of "I'm going to write story X, but do it right this time!," because 9 times of 10, it isn't better. And yes, I've done novelizations, and I've made changes where I thought appropriate, but I've tried to keep my ego in check.

There's also another issue that I'm wary of RE relying too much on the same cast, because if you look at the mainline entries beyond RE2, we've usually had a combination of a pre-existing character (or characters) mixed with new characters. Much as I like the "big four" of the franchise, variety's good as well.

A problem, yeah, but I really don't care if Jake comes back or not. Of all the main entry characters that could return, Jake isn't going to rank highly for me anytime soon.

I get what you mean by Dante (at least going by archtypes), but I can't stand Jake. A lot of that has to do with the writing of his campaign, but even as a character, he's got a generic plot arc, and is simultaniously pissed off that his daddy's a psycho, while also pissed at Chris for killing his psycho daddy. Um, sure, Jake...you do you...
All well and good, but I would take Claire any day over Helena. Helena does not have many fans. Nor do you find many fans that like her storyline either. Piers I at least get, even if I don't agree with it. Jake I almost really couldn't even care about. His motivation is going for money to revenge, or somebody that was going to screw over the world and kill it. The "principle" of the matter being shit. Your father was a giant asshole Jake, deal with it. If Chris didn't kill him, somebody else would have.

Reactions: Hawki

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Later Alligator (a fun little collection of minigames)
Hotline Miami Collection (I had previously beaten HM1 forever ago, but I've never finished HM2 until now, still have most of the hard mode left to do though)
And...that's it. I am absolutely terrible at following through and finishing a game, I just don't know what it is...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Later Alligator (a fun little collection of minigames)
Hotline Miami Collection (I had previously beaten HM1 forever ago, but I've never finished HM2 until now, still have most of the hard mode left to do though)
And...that's it. I am absolutely terrible at following through and finishing a game, I just don't know what it is...
I I could not even finish the second Hotline Miami game. Way too frustrating and full of fake difficulty moments. The problems of the first game were added by a thousand. I already saw the story on YouTube anyway, I was even less inclined to finish it.

Crysis 1 & 2.
Crysis 3 by the end of the week.
Night Slashers

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I I could not even finish the second Hotline Miami game. Way too frustrating and full of fake difficulty moments. The problems of the first game were added by a thousand. I already saw the story on YouTube anyway, I was even less inclined to finish it.

Crysis 1 & 2.
Crysis 3 by the end of the week.
Night Slashers
I'm really struggling with Crysis 2, but teh original version. It just looks like shit and starts off kinda boring. Did you play the remaster? any better?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm really struggling with Crysis 2, but teh original version. It just looks like shit and starts off kinda boring. Did you play the remaster? any better?
I've been playing the Remaster versions. I've played them on base ps4. There is definitely visual and frame rate improvements. The games run at a rocksteady and stable 30 frames per second if you're on base consoles. But if you have a PS4 pro, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, or PS5, all the games can run at 60 frames per second and at 4K. Each game did get patches to improve even better, but the first game got the most considering how rough it was when it first launched on 8th generation consoles. The second and third game don't nearly have as many patches. 2 only has like two, and 3 only has one from what I remember.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Watch this too. ACG has all the details.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I’ve beaten eastward for switch, which amazing because I haven’t even finished a lot of games I bought this year!

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Honestly, having played them both back-to-back, and on the Switch no less (I have them both on PC), I think HM2 is rather fair. Now, it is quite different than HM1, with it being more open and the nature of the various characters you can play as. They made them more open in an effort to discourage a play style that some developed in HM1, IE the "door/corner killer" (waiting at corners and doors for the best opportunity, something that did become a habit for me), which feeds into HM2's difficulty because of how they designed it. They want you to play HM2 as recklessly as possible, in a sort of "maximum attack" (a term used in rally racing, basically means as fast as you can), where you play as a sort of force of nature, flying into rooms and killing everything that moves and racking up a huge combo.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, having played them both back-to-back, and on the Switch no less (I have them both on PC), I think HM2 is rather fair. Now, it is quite different than HM1, with it being more open and the nature of the various characters you can play as. They made them more open in an effort to discourage a play style that some developed in HM1, IE the "door/corner killer" (waiting at corners and doors for the best opportunity, something that did become a habit for me), which feeds into HM2's difficulty because of how they designed it. They want you to play HM2 as recklessly as possible, in a sort of "maximum attack" (a term used in rally racing, basically means as fast as you can), where you play as a sort of force of nature, flying into rooms and killing everything that moves and racking up a huge combo.
That's nice and all, the problem is that there's too many cases, especially in the later levels, where they just fill the room with enemies with guns and they can hit you from off-screen. A big problem when they can see you through glass. It got to the point where it is so frustrating I couldn't get past a certain point, I gave up, and stopped. The ending is not worth it anyway. Derek brings this us up in his review.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
That's nice and all, the problem is that there's too many cases, especially in the later levels, where they just fill the room with enemies with guns and they can hit you from off-screen. A big problem when they can see you through glass. He got to the point where else is so frustrating I couldn't get past a certain point and I gave up and stopped. The ending is not worth it anyway. Derek brings this us up in his review.

Like I said, this game (for better or worse) really wants you to be bold, both in moving quickly and using guns more often. A lot of it feels set up like this bit from Inglourious Basterds;

They really do want you to play as a coked-out suicidal death machine, because if you move quick enough (or just have the right character), you can dodge most(-ish...) gunfire from the mooks, but (and this is a big, smelly but that has been brewing for a couple of posts now), there is one exception to that rule. That is the level Dead Ahead, aka 'that fucking cargo ship'. Those first two combat floors are some of the worst things you could do to somebody, especially that second screen with the bridge. Literal spray and pray, and hope you killed the right mooks (on Hard Mode is a fucking nightmare, as there are more dudes and some fat guys too). I completely understand giving up on it, as that's what I did (I bought the game on release on PC, but only just now beat it on the Switch). I got right towards the end, but just could not do it (prison level). I have more thoughts, but I feel they probably belong in ye olde hot takes thread.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The only thing I remember was the mid section set of missions that felt like a race against time evacuation that I don't think has been recreated in other games. The context felt stressful, even if the gameplay didn't match

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I get to add Guardians of the Galaxy to the list now. It was fine.

Oh also Far Cry 6. It was also fine.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is it really worth the $50 or whatever it is new for the trilogy?
For me, yes. You get three games for $50. That's $16.67 per game. I bought this trilogy, because I like having physical copies of good or great games.

If you want to get the game on sale, or at a better deal, there is nothing wrong with playing the waiting game. Whenever the trilogy does go on sale for the physical version it'll probably be on sale at either $39.99 or $29.99. Definitely be worth it then, if that is what you want. Crysis 1 Remastered is on sale digitally for $14.99, but I know you want the whole thing, so those are your only options.