Games you've bought that you can't bring yourself to play

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I need to know if it's just me that does this. See, I have a habit of impulse-buying games that I want to play and love, but then finding myself for whatever reason unable to actually bring myself to play them.

And I don't mean by this just games you've bought but haven't gotten round to. That's a separate thing. I mean games you want to play, but have never been able to make yourself actually sit down and play.

I feel like i'm in the only idiot in the world that does this. Two recent examples:

1. The Amnesia Series
I got this when it was free as part of the PS+ deals. I've always wanted to play it, but whenever the idea of finally playing it strikes me I get to the start menu and just instinctively end up turning it off and playing something else instead. To be fair with this one I am 99% sure that this happens because I know they're scary as fuck and I'm what you would charitably refer to as a massive quivering pussy in regards to horror games.

Battlefield 1
This is the odd one. I'm kind of the larval form of a history nerd and I love World War 1 as a period of history to look at because it fucking fascinates me, way more than World War 2 does. So a game set during World War 1? Hell yes. Especially when they announced at E3 the release of the 'In the Name of the Tsar' DLC because if there's one thing in regards to history I love more than World War 1 it's Russian history, especially in regards to the Russian Revolution and subsequent Civil War.

But I can't play it. I just can't make myself do it. It sits there on my PS4's menu and every now and again I will open the game, I will look at menus and listen to the music, but then I won't actually play it. And I don't know why. It's not even that I'm historically terrible at online FPS games, even the War Stories campaign missions I find myself almost pathologically incapable of actually committing myself to.

... so yeah, does anyone else do this shit, or am I just certifiably fucking insane?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Just Cause 2. I?m one of the knuckle-dragging troglodytes who likes to faff about in open world sandboxes, and from what I?ve heard, this is one of the better ones for mindless destruction, but for some reason, I made it as far as the parachute tutorial and lost all interest. I?ve still got it loaded on my Xbox 360, and when I scroll through my digital collection, it still piques my interest, but almost immediately, I can?t be bothered. Weird.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I bought Sleeping Dogs when it was on sale, but for some reason I never feel like playing it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Divinity Original Sin - I really want to play it, and I have a little bit, but its so fucking boring. The dialgoue is terrible, the ease of death is terrible, and the starting city is simply too big I simply loose interest

Please, Don't touch anything - Because I simply don't have the patience

Wasteland 2 - Basically the same as Divinity

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Darkest Dungeon and Sunless Sea. Cause they seam really cool and interesting, but I am worried I wont be able to get into them, or they will be too hard and just sit with 2 achievements and 1 hour played.

Technically Half-Life 2: Episode Two. Yeah, I 100% it on Orange Box on the 360, so I know I can do it again on Steam...but that gnome part and some other parts, just alot of tedium I dont want to deal with.

And games I have started but cant seem to get into but want to include: Magicka, Trine, Lego Marvel Heroes, Tales of Symphonia, Darksiders, Risen and a bunch others.

And technically The Witcher...mostly cause I started it, got to the swamp, lost my data, and everytime I think about trying again, remembering that shitty swamp...

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Was gifted it, but eh.

Undertale. I want to play it when the hype dies down, but I'm unsure when that will be.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
I've had Crusader Kings II installed on my PC for quite some time now. Everyone I know tells me that it is exactly the kind of thing I love (namely: Depth). I just cannot get into it, there is too much information, too many factions, too many mechanics and variables and stats.

Also, this is a weird example but one that I think applies: DOTA 2. Now I've played the hell out of Dota, played it when it was a WC3 mod and for about a year after DOTA 2 came out but now, 3 years after I stopped playing, it just taunts me on my steam account. Mocking me with the knowledge that my skills have atrophied to the point where I cannot compete anymore and that I will be called a Noob and worse if I try.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Saelune said:
Darkest Dungeon and Sunless Sea.
I love both those so much but yeah they are both time sinks.

Great writing in Sunless Sea, probably the best I've seen in a video game.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
jademunky said:
I've had Crusader Kings II installed on my PC for quite some time now. Everyone I know tells me that it is exactly the kind of thing I love (namely: Depth). I just cannot get into it, there is too much information, too many factions, too many mechanics and variables and stats.
I have the exact same deal with Hearts of Iron IV. I want to love it so badly because it does seem the thing I could lose ages to, but... fucking hell, it just melts my brain. I have 10 hours of playtime logged on Steam with it but every single second of those 10 hours is me confusedly bumbling around in menu after menu just trying to comprehend what the fuck is going on and how basically any of it works.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
ReservoirAngel said:
1. The Amnesia Series

Battlefield 1
Come on, man! If you're going to start numbering your list entries, you have to stick with it, particularly if the list is two items long!

OT: Owlboy, which was purchased (full price) when I was blind drunk.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Wasteland 2. I actually got half way. Everyone said it had better writing, quests and choices than Falliout 3. It shat the bed in all three counts. I don't know what Kool Aid everyone was drinking but it must have been potent.

Sometimes Always Monsters. Got to one ending, was taken aback at the screw up situation that happened and dropped it. I've always wanted to go back but I can't.
Silvanus said:
OT: Owlboy, which was purchased (full price) when I was blind drunk.
A pretty boring game. Thank you lucky stars and go play Hollow Knight

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
I Am Setsuna, it's just boring. It wants to be Chrono Trigger but it isn't and Chrono Trigger is still perfectly playable.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Arcanum: Of Magic and Steamworks Obscura.

I own it and I've tried like 3 times to actually get into it. It's made by the same people who made the original Fallout games and I love the idea of it. I've even heard it's really good once you get into it.

The problem is that the whole character setup is so fucking dense and complex that building a decent character from the start seems difficult, and without a good starting character, getting out of the first village is a pain(you either have to be good at fighting or talking and if you aren't, well, fuck you).

Okami. I've had this for like 2 years and I've heard it's great. I've also heard it's both slow for the first few hours and fairly long, which kinda sucks when there's like 15 other games I'd love to play at any given time.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
trunkage said:
Sometimes Always Monsters. Got to one ending, was taken aback at the screw up situation that happened and dropped it. I've always wanted to go back but I can't.
I played a little bit of it and for whatever reason decided I didn't like it. I tried to return it but GOG said unless it was broken they didn't want to refund it.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
jademunky said:
Same here. I love the ideas behind it and I REALLY want to play the GOT mod for it, but every time I start trying to play it it feels like it takes FOREVER to do anything, the torturials don't help and even the web videos I've seen seem to assume you actually know what you're doing. I've heard once you figure it out, it's amazing but I'm still struggling to grasp how to do much of anything.

Seriously, is there a walkthrough somewhere that goes "Here's Ireland for noobs. Here's all the basics you need to know to figure out how to git gud"?

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Enough to annoy me:

Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Thief 2
Splinter Cell: Blacklist

and thats just the single-player, theres like 5 co-op ones I still haven't played because I lack a partner.

I have tons of opportunities to play them, but I've hit this loop where I always want to play some kind of multiplayer game. Now I own enough online multiplayer games to cycle through them when i get bored after a month or two, leaving me with single-player games i'd ENJOY but never get in the mood to play.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Men of War. Man, here's a series I should love, but the controls are all wrong. Right-click movement. We've had it since (at least) 1998. Why the fuck doesn't Men of War?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky. Loved Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat. For whatever reason, I couldn't get into Clear Sky. Now none of them run properly, so I'm kinda fucked.

The Witcher. Heard it was great. Bought 1 and 2. Can't stand the gameplay. Shame, too, because CDProjekt is a top-rate company who actively tries to make me like them. I just wish I liked their games.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I'm pretty good at playing through my library, but I quit Amnesia halfway through and can't work up the will to go through the stress again. Outlast I picked up when I saw that the Humble Store was offering it as a freebie, and that's...probably going to go untouched forever. If I can't handle Amnesia, I sure as hell can't handle Outlast.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I've had Resident Evil 7 ready to go since it came out, I watched a friend play it and thought it looked good. I haven't bothered playing it yet, it dawned on me that with the exception of RE2, RE4 and the first 2 Dead Space games, I'm not a big fan of horror games. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.