Games you've wanted for years before finaly getting them and finding out they're actually just shit.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Half-Life 2, or whatever it's spelled.
Everybody was saying it was godly, and when I saw it in a store for only 20 euro's, I decided to buy it.
Got bored after an hour. Was expecting at least a decent game, but I just wasn't getting the orgasm everybody else was having.

Also, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. I loved FFT:A and FFT:A2, and I was expecting a tiny step backward since WotL is a bit older, of course... but it was way worse than I expected. I've turned to Disgaea in the meantime, where it doesn't take 5 seconds to do an attack (in FFT, it takes a whooping 7 seconds for a character to toss a rock and hit someone for a measly 10 damage, seriously. YAWN)

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
Kiutu said:
Halo 2. It hurt more when I learned Halo 2 fans were filled with people who never played the first. And that is when my distaste for Halo 'fans' begun. Though I use the term sarcastically, as real fans to me played the first and all campaigns and understand how lame 3 is.
Really? You aren't a real fan unless you liked one and hated 2 and 3? Is that REALLY what you are saying? I have news for you and everyone else out there:

IT IS OKAY TO LIKE WHATEVER GAMES YOU WANT TO. EVEN HALO'S 2 AND 3. EVEN THE WII! (Just don't go around expecting everyone else to like the Wii. Yuk. My point is, however, you can not really argue taste)

I really did want to like Silent Hill 4 but it was such a departure from the first 3 and the controls were just kinda wonky, it turned me off.

I try not to get my hopes up too much for a game unless the developer AND publisher have a sterling reputation. Before both Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 came out I eagerly anticipated those. Dungeon Keeper 2 (I miss you Black Isle), and Fallout 3 also. I guess those are all sequels, but nevertheless.

Garzo

Nov 26, 2008
I'm a massive fan of the Hitman games, so when I saw a poster for Kane and Lynch I was pretty excited about it. Sadly it turned out to be a clunky, repetitive dose of shite. Assassin's Creed was a big let down as well.

tbare

Mar 27, 2008
Black and White 2... never played the first, but everyone was saying how great it was, so i bought it... played for about 45 minutes (enough to actually get INTO the game)... then quit... it's been sitting in the box collecting dust since then...

tbare

Mar 27, 2008
Saphatorael said:
Half-Life 2, or whatever it's spelled.
Everybody was saying it was godly, and when I saw it in a store for only 20 euro's, I decided to buy it.
Got bored after an hour. Was expecting at least a decent game, but I just wasn't getting the orgasm everybody else was having.
gotta disagree with you on that one... i thought HL2 was good game... i bought it, and played it quite a bit... i will say, however, that deathmatch was more addicting than single player... i mean, any game that you can pick up a frickin' toilet and launch it at another player w/ an anti-gravity gun can't be ALL bad!

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
hmmm.. A lot of people are just naming games that they were disappointed with rather than games that you picked up years after release and then were disappointed with.

Anyways for me probably Shadow of the Colossus, It's a really cool game and I have gone through it but it was forced all the way through. The awkward controls, slow downs and camera were all too evident. Really hope they make another one so they can fix these problems.

Galaxialconda

Oct 19, 2008
Breath of Fire IV: Dragon Quarters.

I love the breath of fire series, so naturally I wanted to get part IV. But when I finally did get it. I was disappointed to say the least. Gone was everything I enjoyed about the series, replaced with a new battle system that really did not work for the series.

I still play all the others but IV sits at the bottom of my game pile, yet 2 be completed.

PandarenBa

Mar 27, 2009
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles.

I'm a fan of rail-shooters, but this... fffffffffffffffffffffffff.

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
Final Fantasy VIII. I was high on RPGs, I was real young and had NO idea what Final Fantasy was really about, I thought because of the numbers it'd be continuing the story in the same world.
Where was Midgar!?!? Where's the materia!?!? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS JUNCTION SYSTEM!?!?
GOD I hate the Junction system, it's horrendously one-sided to me.

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
markstit said:
area 51: blacksite from midway, problibly the worst game I have ever played in my life. Midway made area 51 for the ps2 based on the arcade version and it was phenomenal but blacksite was awful, invisible walls, missing cut scenes, and poor voice acting.

anyone else agree?
I loved Area 51 for the PS2. I loved the online play as well but I really only played the infection mode. Anyway back to the OP, a game I was really waiting excited for was Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. When I first heard the concept I was so excited because I'm a huge fan of WWII. Then.....then I played the game. After about 5 minutes of playing it, I was very depressed about how bad the game was. It had such potential to be an amazing game but they destroyed it.

Darkintent

Mar 17, 2009
Pokemon Diamond

You just cant beat the classics

Stick to red/blue or Yellow if you fancy a plot :p

Old Skool Nidoking ftw

Runic

Mar 28, 2009
Well, I can't say its shit but for me it was X3: Reunion.
Not exactly the gameplay but the tutorial that made me waste an entire day before figuring out how to even fire and move since the damn tutorial just left me in the middle of space surrounded by a bunch of baddie space pirates all interested on seeing my ship become part of the asteroid belt and not telling me even how to move.

Another one was Revolution, since it was on the time I hardly read reviews from other sites, saw it once in a store, then didn't saw it again till a year later. When I bought it and filled my head with wonder and dream from reading the back of the box I was treated with the worst game I have ever played in my life. I returned the damn thing saying it was damaged and just got my money back, but they didn't asked if it was the CD, which was playable, but the game itself was just bad. After that I decided to read from as many game reviewers as I could before even looking at a game.

Another one was Dungeon Siege 2. I've been playing NWN for a long time and finally spotting Dungeon Siege 2 on the store I decided to buy it seeing it held good reviews. I'm not sure what people were reviewing but I hated the game. I got bored of it quite easily and made me look back at NWN with much more interest (lowered my standard), so I got to thank Dungeon Siege 2 for making past games look even better than I thought.

And yet another one was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. The multiplayer was good, but my god I couldn't pass one single level of the single player game without dying like 10 times, and this was on the easiest difficulty, so I imagine I sucked badly in that game, yet I was killing well in multiplayer against actual people.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Mercenaries 2. The Force Unleashed, it wasn't bad, just not what I expected it to be.

Fr0sty101

Mar 1, 2009
Hmm Resident Evil 5, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Halo 3, Too Human, and some others games. My reasons are my own so I really don't need to explain why I was disappointed.