OutrageousEmu said:
MonocleClaire said:
AugustFall said:
It's the most popular game in the world
pffffffffffffffffttttttt
Lets see.

Your opinion

vs.

A string of the most successful game launches ever coming one after the other, and close to 28 million sales for its last iteration, a record everybody who knows anything about gaming knows the next will smash.

A guy on the internet doesn't like it. Stop the frigging presses, I'm sure that invalidates its sales and legions of fans.
Yes, how dare I find it mildly amusing that a bland FPS is being touted as the most popular game in the world. Just because it's famous doesn't necessarily mean it's popular, or even that most of the people who played it liked it (they probably did, but you get the point I'm trying to make.)
Oh yes, I'm sure that just because you don't like it that means the tens of millions of people who bought the games and logged billions upon billions of combined hours of playtime to the game all absolutely hated it. Yes, how could I forget that Miss Monocle here is also the queen of opinions, and it is up to her to decide who likes what and what is good and what isn't.
Wow, you're really butthurt about this, aren't you? It's kinda funny.
Says the person who's actually trying to say that their opinion about a game its obvious they haven't played is worth more than 25 million people who have played it.
So... where in my post did I say either of those things?

I bought Call of Duty: Black Ops when it came out, since the hype told me it was supposed to be an AMAZING~ game and I thought it was going to be a good introduction to the FPS genre. Put simply, I was bored out my skull the entire time and I have never been so glad to stop playing a game in my entire life

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
hawkeye52 said:
nbamaniac said:
MonocleClaire said:
Just because it's famous doesn't necessarily mean it's popular.

sorry bout that. :)
Garry Glitter is famous. That doesn't automatically make him popular
Gary Glitter is infamous. Unless you're Ned Nederlander, there is a difference.
Yeah I just realised that after I posted but couldn't be bothered to fix it.

The Epicosity

Mar 19, 2011
Janus Vesta said:
AugustFall said:
It's the most popular game in the world.
Not quite. It's no where near Mario or Pokemon.
Actually, it is pretty popular, and Mario and Pokemon only really win with 3rd graders who's parents won't let them buy that Call of Duty or Halo thing that his friends keep talking about.

Or adults that feel like playing it for it's memories, but...

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
MonocleClaire said:
OutrageousEmu said:
MonocleClaire said:
OutrageousEmu said:
MonocleClaire said:
OutrageousEmu said:
MonocleClaire said:
AugustFall said:
It's the most popular game in the world
pffffffffffffffffttttttt
Lets see.

Your opinion

vs.

A string of the most successful game launches ever coming one after the other, and close to 28 million sales for its last iteration, a record everybody who knows anything about gaming knows the next will smash.

A guy on the internet doesn't like it. Stop the frigging presses, I'm sure that invalidates its sales and legions of fans.
Yes, how dare I find it mildly amusing that a bland FPS is being touted as the most popular game in the world. Just because it's famous doesn't necessarily mean it's popular, or even that most of the people who played it liked it (they probably did, but you get the point I'm trying to make.)
Oh yes, I'm sure that just because you don't like it that means the tens of millions of people who bought the games and logged billions upon billions of combined hours of playtime to the game all absolutely hated it. Yes, how could I forget that Miss Monocle here is also the queen of opinions, and it is up to her to decide who likes what and what is good and what isn't.
Wow, you're really butthurt about this, aren't you? It's kinda funny.
Says the person who's actually trying to say that their opinion about a game its obvious they haven't played is worth more than 25 million people who have played it.
So... where in my post did I say either of those things?

I bought Call of Duty: Black Ops when it came out, since the hype told me it was supposed to be an AMAZING~ game and I thought it was going to be a good introduction to the FPS genre. Put simply, I was bored out my skull the entire time and I have never been so glad to stop playing a game in my entire life

Just stop you can't win with opinions. Popularity can be good or bad hence why COD is popular, because even if people don't like it they are still talking about it (like you) hence giving into its popularity. When Grand Theft Auto 4 came out it was popular and everyone was talkking about it and a more recent example would be Deus Ex Human Revolution as you can undoubtedly read is also popular right now, although it won't retain that for long as the Fall season roars in. Cod will remain popular as it is coming out soon and will retain that popularity well pass it wheter you like it or not it is a truth one that cannot be disputed.

BTW I dislike Call of Duty (Hate is too strong) but that doesn't mean I won't conceed when I see something obvious and am too narrow minded and pompous to admit it...COD is for the forseeable future a popular franchise if not THE most popular one out there.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
Sizzle Montyjing said:
I always thought Gamespot were a bit biased when it came to the Xbox.
I seriously can't beleive that games on the Xbox would be THAT superior to EVERYTHING that the PS3 had.
Especially inFamous2.
Yeah I noticed that too. I watch their reviews and they often say "The Xbox and PC versions run better than the PS3" and I can't figure out why. I checked the hardware of the systems and it seems like PS3 has a slight hardware edge.

OT: Yeah I don't really trust reviews from Gamespot or IGN. I usually look a wikipedia and compare reviews and then go to Zero Punctuation for a final verdict.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RagTagBand said:
...the first ever dedicated, official, Call of Duty fan-event was happening. You're -surprised- they mainly focused on that?

What next? Are you going to be accusing them of being PS3 fanboi's for reporting on nothing but Sony...during the E3 Sony press conference?
I demand a fair and balanced approach to the news! They should report counterpoints to all events, even if there is not second side to the story!

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
You DO know that a really big Call of Duty convention just got done with, right? That just KIND OF justifies it...

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
MonocleClaire said:
It's almost hilarious how much of a shitsorm this has turned into.
For you? Yes, it's simple, if anyone else would have said the same things you did, they would probably have been ignored, but like you pointed out yourself, you are a girl. Yes, I'd say that's a big reason why YOU got so many replies, including mine.

OT: Gamespot? CoD? Gaming journalists posting news about one of the biggest games this year? And you people act surprised? I'm looking forward to the reviews, gonna see how long it takes until reviewers shuns new CoD games, and call them what they are.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
From what I hear there is a huge Call of Duty thingy going on right now so that would be why there are so many videos for Cal of Duty in a row right now.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Congratulations, you have managed to ascertain knowledge that most people would've found out after a cursory glance at the site. GameSpot's a pretty fucking terrible site as far as reviews go. They're terribly biased, and their community is no better than 4chan. You could do a lot better than GameSpot. Check out GamesRadar, the Escapist reviews, Joystiq or Kotaku. They're very good as far as reviews and coverage go.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
The Epicosity said:
Janus Vesta said:
AugustFall said:
It's the most popular game in the world.
Not quite. It's no where near Mario or Pokemon.
Actually, it is pretty popular, and Mario and Pokemon only really win with 3rd graders who's parents won't let them buy that Call of Duty or Halo thing that his friends keep talking about.

Or adults that feel like playing it for it's memories, but...
Haha what the fuck is this

Sahasrala88

Jul 4, 2011
I wouldn't say it's any more biased than anything else they do for AAA industry titles. Yeah it's stupid that they post that many videos up for one game, but I really don't expect much else from Gamestop. They will continue to spam whatever is popular at the moment and what will get them more internet traffic and more money. It's not CoD that's at fault. Blizzard will probably have their videos spammed when Diablo 3 approaches launch, and the Wii U will probably have the same done to it, unless Gamestop really is biased.

That said I will add that just because the game is popular doesn't mean it's a good game. I wouldn't say CoD is bad, it's just generic or mediocre like most of the other FPS series. I can understand that some people prefer the series over other FPS series and that's fine. Go with what you like and have at it. However, it seems like every new installment of these FPS franchises are little more than expensive expansion packs. They make new multiplayer maps and make some gameplay changes and there's some story mode tacked on. It seems like a disservice to the fans to just crank out another game that offer anything drastically different and still charge them $60. I may not think much of the game but I think the fans deserve more or at least need to have a more reasonable price for their line of sequels.