GameStop Abandons U.K. Stores

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
7,508
3
43
I've never ever seen a store in the UK. And I've been all over the UK!

Shows how good their advertising in Britain was really :/

I have a GAME and Gamestation though so I'm not worried.
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
i can see only good things coming from companies finally realizing that internet store is the way.
 

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
1,426
0
0
Lono Shrugged said:
The Last Nomad said:
Good thing the Irish (republic of, that is) stores aren't closing. Thats the only place I can get reasonably priced games.
HMV would surprise you sometimes.
I always found them to be one of the most overpriced places. Although that new(ish) deal of selling second hand games can be pretty good but they don't really have that good a selection.
 

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
1,426
0
0
Bvenged said:
EDIT: It seems they had 2 stores in England, 1 in Northern Ireland and 1 in Republic of Ireland, with none in Scotland & Wales. Ah well, no wonder why hardly anyone knew about them.
I'm pretty sure there is more than that in Ireland. I was in two yesterday, both in the Rep of Ireland and I'm pretty sure there is more, I just don't remember where they are.
 

Dandark

New member
Sep 2, 2011
1,706
0
0
I didn't realize we even had Gamestop in the UK. Doesn't really matter since I just use Game or digital download anyway.
 

Grey Day for Elcia

New member
Jan 15, 2012
1,773
0
0
Strazdas said:
i can see only good things coming from companies finally realizing that internet store is the way.
I agree that online stores are good (to a degree) but there is a very real, very sad downside to this: people lost their jobs.

No matter how many of them find new work, nor how quickly they do it, make it any better. Losing your job is stressful and destructive.
 

SonOfVoorhees

New member
Aug 3, 2011
3,509
0
0
Nearly kicking Gamestop out of the UK....gives Americans hope that the same will be done over there. :) In the UK we have Game and Gamestation, most would use these stores and most people are loyal to the shops they visit for games. Ive visited America a few times and i dont remember ever seeing another games store other than Gamestop.
 

SonOfVoorhees

New member
Aug 3, 2011
3,509
0
0
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Better question: why do they call themselves 'Electronics Boutique' here (in Australia)?
Wow, that brings back memories. Electronics Boutique. They had stores in the UK a long time ago - wernt they bought out by Game? Or changed their name to Game? Not sure.
 

emeraldrafael

New member
Jul 17, 2010
8,589
0
0
why would they close/do anything with the (republic of) Ireland's stores when this is about the stores in the UK? ireland is its own country (as much as the UK may hate it and want them to not be) so their business like this shouldnt matter to the UK.

anyway, I guess the British economy strikes again. Stores like these are incredibly costly to maintain, and just reading from opinions of posters, gamestop/EB games isnt well received in other countries.
 

PlasmaCow

New member
Jul 18, 2009
63
0
0
Gamestation is owned by Game, who are owned by GameStop. Game is the established UK brand, so GameStop stores are pointless self-competition.
 

sg100

New member
Nov 15, 2008
13
0
0
The Last Nomad said:
Bvenged said:
EDIT: It seems they had 2 stores in England, 1 in Northern Ireland and 1 in Republic of Ireland, with none in Scotland & Wales. Ah well, no wonder why hardly anyone knew about them.
I'm pretty sure there is more than that in Ireland. I was in two yesterday, both in the Rep of Ireland and I'm pretty sure there is more, I just don't remember where they are.
They have 57 in the south and 12 in Dublin alone.
 

AbstractStream

New member
Feb 18, 2011
1,399
0
0
Huh, cool. I didn't know Gamestop had stores outside the U.S.
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Better question: why do they call themselves 'Electronics Boutique' here (in Australia)?
Ah, the days of EB games. I thought it was because Gamestop bought them out but left the name. Really, I have no clue.
 

Charli

New member
Nov 23, 2008
3,445
0
0
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Better question: why do they call themselves 'Electronics Boutique' here (in Australia)?
EB bought 25% shareholdings in GAME, then the stores changed in U.K. to just GAME, Too costly to do the same in Australia, just continued calling it Electronics Boutique as a foreign subsidiary.

PlasmaCow said:
Gamestation is owned by Game, who are owned by GameStop. Game is the established UK brand, so GameStop stores are pointless self-competition.
I was informed talks about a merger fell apart and am still under the impression that GAME is still owned by GAME, if not my manager lied and needs to stop playing Call of Duty at 1am.
 

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
1,426
0
0
sg100 said:
The Last Nomad said:
Bvenged said:
EDIT: It seems they had 2 stores in England, 1 in Northern Ireland and 1 in Republic of Ireland, with none in Scotland & Wales. Ah well, no wonder why hardly anyone knew about them.
I'm pretty sure there is more than that in Ireland. I was in two yesterday, both in the Rep of Ireland and I'm pretty sure there is more, I just don't remember where they are.
They have 57 in the south and 12 in Dublin alone.
I had a feeling it was closer to those numbers
 

PunkRex

New member
Feb 19, 2010
2,533
0
0
dogstile said:
Sovvolf said:
I never knew we had a Gamestop in Britain. Learn something new everyday.
Same here. Thinking about it, that's probably why.
Yeah, I had no idea we could even get stuff online. Wounder if their like GAME or Gamestation/CEX.
 

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
335
0
0
the only brick and moarter store i buy games form is granger games anyway

they are independent and cheaper, also orange > purple > blue
http://www.graingergames.co.uk/
 

Swimfan

New member
Dec 17, 2011
7
0
0
Actually I like GameStop once in a while.
Here in GER prices for new games are being fced up and if you sell one of your games to GS you have to be pretty dumb but since they at least sometimes offer used games for a fair price and also because at least 1 or 2 "Exchange 2 old for 1 new" events during the year offer a real deal, I think as a videogamer checking their stores out at times can be a good decision.