GameStop Abandons U.K. Stores

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
Oisin O said:
I find it interesting the amount of British people who didn't know Gamestop was even in the UK, in the Republic they're huge, way bigger than GAME or anyone else. I could name 6 locations off the top of my head, and they seem to do well enough. Culturally, they are THE game shop in Ireland, they advertise the most, they're talked about the most etc
Kind of a wierd one, but I do think the corporate tax thing is a big part of it.
Im guessing that its because in England they only had 5 or 6 stores and they had zero promotion. I think I only found out about them by accident as I was visiting Birmingham once. Added to that compared to other retailers they were overpriced.

GinraiPrime

Aug 26, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
FamoFunk said:
Sovvolf said:
I never knew we had a Gamestop in Britain. Learn something new everyday.
Ditto.

We have GAME and GameStation anyway, we don't really need a third games shop.
We probably do.

GAME and Gamestation are owned by the same company, so as such, they pretty much have a monopoly on game only retail.

It doesn't effect me though, I realised a long time ago that the brick and mortar stores rip off their customers, so I buy all my games online.

If you're looking for a great online reatailer, I'd recommend ShopTo.net.
True, ShopTo.net is one of the best online retailers for games I've seen for quite sometime :) I recommend them too

Dec 14, 2009
GinraiPrime said:
Daystar Clarion said:
FamoFunk said:
Sovvolf said:
I never knew we had a Gamestop in Britain. Learn something new everyday.
Ditto.

We have GAME and GameStation anyway, we don't really need a third games shop.
We probably do.

GAME and Gamestation are owned by the same company, so as such, they pretty much have a monopoly on game only retail.

It doesn't effect me though, I realised a long time ago that the brick and mortar stores rip off their customers, so I buy all my games online.

If you're looking for a great online reatailer, I'd recommend ShopTo.net.
True, ShopTo.net is one of the best online retailers for games I've seen for quite sometime :) I recommend them too
*ShopTo brofist*

The only complaint I have is that they don't get as much 'exclusive' content like, say, GAME.

For instance, they won't be able to stock the CE of Mass Effect 3. We get a t-shirt though, so it's all good.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Gamestop...it is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be sought by us!
And with each breath, we will hunt you down...

Er...wrong Irish. But my sentiment is still the same: Good riddance. I'm glad to see Gamestop's growth finally getting checked somewhere.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I'll join the others in saying I honestly had no idea we had a GameStop. But nothing of value was lost.
I think I'll be sticking with CEX. I love that shop.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I think it makes sense, personally. They say they had a store in Birmingham last year? Yeah, well, I live by there and go to Birmingham fairly often, and I never saw a Gamestop anywhere (at least not in the city centre). Game, Gamestation, CEX and HMV, yes. Plenty. But no Gamestop.

Thing is, here in the UK, Gamestop have almost no presence anyway, and they have major competition from the four stores I just mentioned. All big name companies, and very successful (not to mention relatively cheap compared to Gamestop). Two specialty game stores, one pre-owned specialty store, and HMV, which is big enough to sell CDs, DVDs and even clothing too (hence the reason I go there more than anywhere else). Adding Gamestop to the equation would only work if the firm had a big brand presence and the money and resources to put into a massive advertising campaign to hit the ground running, none of which has surfaced. Thus, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the stores already open here have been closed, or will be closed soon.

Brightzide

Nov 22, 2009
I live in Manchester, so Stockport is just a 20 minute Bus ride away for me...Plus alot of my cousins live there....Never seen the GameStop...I know I wont now obviously, but over the years...Nope, nothing...Wasnt even aware they were in the U.K at all.

RagingNinja

Dec 13, 2010
Greg Tito said:
I'm not sure if there are political motivations behind this withdrawal, but the borders seem to suggest something going on behind the scenes. Why would GameStop abandon one territory when it is clearly successful in Ireland already with 20+ stores? Why stop at the border?
Corporate tax rate in Republic of Ireland is 12.5%. Corporate tax rate in the UK is double that.