GameStop Buys Flash Game Portal Kongregate

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
hrmmm figures when I just start on it again it gets bought out, I really hope they dont fuck it up, oh well if they do, we still have newgrounds

dannymc18

Dec 15, 2009
John Funk said:
When you think of GameStop, you think of a massive chain of videogame retail stores across North America
They've quite a sizeable presence in Ireland too.

Anyway, whats with the immediate "ZOMGZORS never gonna goes there agian!!!"? It's not it's going to completely change overnight, if it all. I, for one, welcome our new GameStop overlords. Is it really that much different from EA buying Pogo?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
This can't be good. It simply can't. Look, i've only left my computer for two hours - couldn't the world NOT screw something up for those mere two hours? Looks like the answer is no.

FrndlyMisanthrpe

May 28, 2009
Delusibeta said:
It appears that the deal is done and dusted. [http://www.kongregate.com/pages/kongregate-announcement] While it's a smart move by GameStop, I can't help but feel slightly worried, since when websites get aquired by big companies, they usually start pissing people off (which I presume explains why Newgrounds is doing so well). Hopefully the changes won't ruin the site.
Huh. After seeing him explain it, it doesn't seem so bad. Maybe it won't be that bad after all.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
This means a lot of things methinks.

And methinks that they aren't good things. Fuck.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Oh good fucking Gods, why?

Not only are they gonna fuck up my pre-orders, but their gonna fuck up my flash games too.

Also, how the hell do people buy these damn websites? Do they get consent from the owner or what?

Oh well... At least there's Newgrounds.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I wanna see how this turns out. I assume that GS won't change anything about Kongregate except who gets the money that's transacted.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
AkJay said:
"Strong customer relationships", pfft, my ass. All of your customers really don't like you, especially when you start to charge people to use the site, which we ALL know you are going to do.
Yeah, most Gamestop employee's are irritating and always trying to sell you something that you don't want or even care about. I have a feeling they won't charge everyone to use Kongregate but rather create a "premium account" type of bullshit and only let those people play the good games. F Gamestop!

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
Well, as my UK friends might say, Bollocks!

Not really looking forward to the Gamestop-centric ads and backdrops that I'm sure will take up residence at Kong. I'm also not really wanting my information being owned by Gamestop either.. I get enough useless emails on "..the latest blockbuster by the guys that used to have lunch with the guys that had girls that cheated on them with the guys that said they worked on a Call of Duty".

Guess it's time to find another place for Flash.

- Tir

Edit: Bah, unable to simple delete my account and personal information from Kongregate. Anyone with a lead on that information, by chance?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I got a bad feeling about this...I cant say im too best impresseed

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
I love how everyone already assumes the worst. "Oh no, big company bought out a website I like. They must be trying to destroy it. I'm never going there again." Really people, give it a little time. Companies buy websites all the time. It doesn't mean the site is suddenly going to go pay for crap games. Most likely, the only immediate change will be more GameStop ads. Give it some time before going all "end of the world".

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Great. I hope Newgrounds is left alone. Gamestop is okay when you want to pay through the nose for AAA titles that almost invariably turn out to be crap, but when it starts to monopolize indie talent..

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I highly doubt they'll start charging for Kongregate, at least, more than what the site already charges for certain extras like cards for it's own card game Kongai, or 'Credits', or whatever. Doing so would be an exceptionally risky, and most likely stupid, business move and would put most gamers off the site (myself included). So I can't see Gamestop charging anything else.

Personally I see this as being a simple business move by the company. Kongregate is a successful site, makes money through microtransactions and advertising, and as such is a wise investment by a game store to make. That's all there is to it.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Well, I'm not happy about this, but I'm not judging it yet. It remains to be seen how independent of the big company Kongregate will remain. My biggest worry, of course, is swarms of "GameStop" ads.

Actually, even though I'm not a fan of ads, I'd kind of be sad to see game-makers ads removed for GameStop ads. I'd rather see some up-and-coming someone make a name for themselves rather than more "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" spam.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Eggsnham said:
This means a lot of things methinks.

And methinks that they aren't good things. Fuck.
my reaction to this story is actually similar to your avatar.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Well,

I guess I will have to find another flash games portal.

Too bad too. I enjoyed that place, but anything that has to do with GameStop is off limits.