GameStop Buys Flash Game Portal Kongregate

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
Aw :(, loved kongregate, killed a lot of free time when my pc was bricked, hope gamestop doens't screw it up.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
... Clever Girl...

It seems that this might be a good move on Gamestop's part, if nothing more than to (hopefully) continue the success that Kongregate represents.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Premonition said:
Very interesting to see it broaden it's horizons like that. Let's just hope that they don't destroy Kongregate in hopes of assimilating it in to GameStop.
Pretty much my response. As long as it's a mostly-seamless transition with minimal changes to Kong's design, then I don't object to this too much (though I do have strong feelings against GameStop).

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
It's been a couple months since the purchase, and so far, I haven't seen anything other than GameStop adding a little "Flash game of the week" section to its newsletters, linking to Kongregate. Well, that, and the removal of "beta" from the Kongregate header, as well as adding a little "part of the GameStop network" in a little corner of the page. I'm a mod on Kongregate and I haven't seen anything really go /bad/. Sure, the badge selections may seem a bit bad right now, but those are mostly just the games that are popular, and as for those that weren't... well... there have been far worse, and GameStop doesn't really have any control over what gets badges anyways. They may be related to the resurrection of Kongregate's newsletter, though, but that's a good thing if anything. The promise of some monetary/discount-based badge-related rewards hasn't been spoken of since the purchase, but that was always just wishful thinking anyways. All-in-all, the only bad thing I've seen has been the addition of non-skippable ads, and I have no idea if GameStop had anything to do with that (In fact, I'm not sure if I've seen them in a while, so they might have gotten taken down).