GameStop Employee Gives RapeLay Interview, Gets Fired

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
nipsen said:
..that doesn't even make sense.

...tsch.. no more internet for me today..
I would like you to tell me exactly what I said that doesn't make sense. It seems to make sense just fine to a majority of people in this thread who share my opinion on the matter.

Crystalgate

Feb 7, 2009
nipsen said:
So you really have to explain how speaking about a banned game-title somehow is undermining Gamestop's business.
Well from the article: Littlejohn's opinions were a focal point of the article because he'd been an employee at GameStop for two years and was thus presumably something of an authority on videogames.

I can easily picture articles saying something in line of "GameStop Employee says..." even if he was just a store clerk. The news papers want to sell their news and will often choose wording and information that makes the news dramatic and important seeming rather than accurate. This is unlikely to get a dedicated gamer to stop buying games from GameStop, but I can easily picture a mother taking her children to another store instead if she feels even slightly uneasy about it. Investors may also get paranoid over the reputation of the company they invest in.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"It's relatively easy to pirate these games, when all one has to do is type in the name of what they want and add 'torrent'. Usually, some sort of link turns up,"
When I read that part, I said to myself "That's probably what they fired him for. Not his thoughts on RapeLay. If I was a games retailer, I wouldn't want my employees telling people how to get games for free instead of coming to my stores."

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking that. I was expecting a lot of "OMG YES HE SHOULD BE FIRED BECAUSE RAPELAY IS BAD AND IF YOU DON'T HATE RAPELAY YOU ARE EVIL" type comments. I guess this community is much smarter than some others I've visited.

Straying Bullet said:
All in all, I still find the fact he was fired idiotic, he is a resident in the USA, which values their so-called Freedom of Speech alot. Apparently, they do not. His opinion is hurting Gamestop or promoting whatever kind of behaviour.
Hold on there man. GameStop =/= America. One company firing one employee doesn't mean that an entire country doesn't value Freedom of Speech anymore. And this isn't about Freedom of Speech anyway. You can't cry "Freedom of Speech!" to say whatever you want on this forum and not get banned, right?

funkzillabot said:
Un-freaking-believable! This is BS. All you guys are like, "he deserved it... bluh, bluh, bluh", but come on. What was he 17? He really didn't say anything different then what anyone of us would have said. (Well, not about the piracy and working at Gamestop)
And that bit in parenthesis is exactly the point. We wouldn't have said the bit about how to pirate games and that we work for GameStop. We also wouldn't have been fired.

However, he did and he was.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
funkzillabot said:
Un-freaking-believable! This is BS. All you guys are like, "he deserved it... bluh, bluh, bluh", but come on. What was he 17? He really didn't say anything different then what anyone of us would have said. (Well, not about the piracy and working at Gamestop)
And that bit in parenthesis is exactly the point. We wouldn't have said the bit about how to pirate games and that we work for GameStop. We also wouldn't have been fired.

However, he did and he was.

EDIT: Oh sure, NOW my other post shows up. Now I look like a double posting idiot. :( Sorry about that everyone. My first one didn't show up after I hit post, so I couldn't edit. Hopefully this can be deleted...

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
he is (reasonably) asked not to identify himself as an employee of gamestop to (reasonably) prevent anyone from associating his opinions and statements with those of the company. This is especially reasonable if he is commenting on issues within the game industry, as people are absolutely going to look to his status as an employee as putting him in a position of authority and associating him with the industry through his employment within.
I do not agree with your use of the word reasonable here, and this is just a repetition of the actual disagreement. You don't give anything to back your assertion that any use of the word reasonable is, in fact, reasonable. If I say I work at GameStop but that my views do not represent GameStop and the journalist fails to relay that, am I still on the hook? Would GS have any cause to see whose version was in fact true? And, I'm sorry, but the fact of GS employment does NOT confer some sort of expert status in gaming on a person; that you are suggesting this gives the whole thing an extra tint of ludicrous.

I DO NOT accept that any opinion given by a GameStop employee, whether overheard in the store or printed in a magazine, is reasonably interpreted as GameStop's policy. To accept this gives too much power to GameStop in determining intent of speech, with consequences that are far more tangible than potential damage due to possible (but not proven) damage to a brand. Everything printed in the article is something I have specifically heard uttered in a GS by a GS employee (including a manager) and I don't recall policy or agreements being whipped out there. This isn't corporate secrets or methods of business; this is a person's opinion that is perfectly reasonable to assume is their own no matter where it's mentioned they work.

And, again, where is the journalist's responsibility in all this?

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
So basically:

"Hey, I work for a video game store, and here's how you don't have to pay for any games!"

<,< ...Smart indeed.

Dienekes

Sep 13, 2008
He pretty much deserved it, he's entitled to his opinion and everything, but what he did was stupid & foolish, using any commonsense would mean that when you work for a legal, law-abiding games company, going and talking about piracy and a highly controversial game, and talking about how easy and normal it is, its a pretty stupid move.

I know that there is no law against me speaking to the press about my workplace, but I sure as hell wouldn't go and do it. I wouldn't even speak about it, probably no comment, just wouldn't want to risk it, unless I was deliberately trying to screw stuff up.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Anyone who quotes "Freedom of Speech" as a reason why he should have been fired is an idiot, or at least knows nothing about the US constitution. Get this: "Freedom of Speech" does not make you legally immune to the consequences of anything you feel like saying at any time. It simply means the American government is not allowed to make it illegal for anyone to express an opinion. If you loudly abuse a cop in a public place you will be arrested and if you give a public interview where you basically (if unintentionally) encourage kids to download a violent rape simulator while appearing to speak as a representative for a major video game distributor then you should expect to be immediately sacked for misconduct.

There is no "other side" to this argument, the fool got himself fired because of his stupidity and completely deserved it.

On the actual issue itself, he's right in pointing out that it's futile to attempt to ban Rapelay as once it's out on the net it'll be there forever, but that doesn't mean you should talk casually about how easy it is to get, or you'll only be inspiring people who HAVEN'T heard of it or don't know about torrent piracy to get it. These statements do no good and potentially considerable harm.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
I should point out several things in here to clarify, at least for me:

- He talks about Rapelay and simply states it's a game
- He talks about how kids these days can download every game by just adding "Torrent" in google, which might on here or other websites give kids that never heard of such things ideas.
- He informs the interviewer he is an employee of Gamestop, usually his opinion won't reflect Gamestop itself, but it can always be the case.
- He went from someone being another lad on the street to a Gamestop Employee, this is something big.

All in all, I still find the fact he was fired idiotic, he is a resident in the USA, which values their so-called Freedom of Speech alot. Apparently, they do not. His opinion is hurting Gamestop or promoting whatever kind of behaviour.
Tbf, it doesn't take a genius to type the name of what you want + free download in google, I'm sure every teen with a computer knows how to use google

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Matt_LRR said:
Dude should have adhered to GameStop's "don't talk to the press" policy.

Dumb.

That said, if the media paid more attention to statements exactly like his we might see more reasonable policy making and discourse with regards to the industy.

The game isn't available here, and is only obtainable through piracy. Banning it will achieve nothing, because you already can't buy it here anyhow. Regulating this game simply sets an uncomfortable precedent, and fails to actually regulate access to the game at all.

He's 100% right in what he says.

-m
didn't you work at a Gamestop or something like that?

I don't see why he was fired. The interviewer ask the opinion of Derek Littlejohn and not Gamestop. I don't believe he did this interview as to represent gamestop but when ask what he know, he must have told that he was a employee from gamestop. It wouldn't be the first time that media screw someone over. I'll reserve my judgment when i heard or see the exact interview (and not a edited one) he did. That the only piece of info that we really need to blame someone. In the meantime posters, just slander his name without a care like if news always told 100% of the truth!

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Unless he actually said he did in the interview, he never stated directly that he has pirated games.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I'd feel bad for the guy if he wasn't blatantly an idiot and openly discussed pirating.

It'd have been just as easy (and not entirely inaccurate) for him to have said "I imported it".

Akalistos said:
I don't see why he was fired. The interviewer ask the opinion of Derek Littlejohn and not Gamestop. I don't believe he did this interview as to represent gamestop but when ask what he know, he must have told that he was a employee from gamestop. It wouldn't be the first time that media screw someone over. I'll reserve my judgment when i heard or see the exact interview (and not a edited one) he did. That the only piece of info that we really need to blame someone. In the meantime posters, just slander his name without a care like if news always told 100% of the truth!
Even if he didn't break a store policy on speaking to the media (which is entirely reasonable and a policy of 9 out of 10 employers), the fact that he works for a video game store and blatantly spoke about procuring a video game ILLEGALLY is a VERY good reason for him to be fired (I have no idea wot GS's hiring policies are). It'd be like working for a major record-store chain or label and talking to the press about getting a pirated copy of, say, the next Metallica cd months in advance off of a torrent.

Calatar

May 13, 2009
Sven und EIN HUND said:
Publicly admitted to piracy from an authoritative position etc etc Yes, he deserved it.
Arawn.Chernobog said:
He admitted to piracy on a non-approved interview as an Employee...

I would have fired his ass
This is getting repetitive, but no, he didn't admit to piracy. He admitted to knowledge of "how to pirate a game."
Analogous to how knowing how to kill somebody, and actually killing them are different things.

It can be inferred that he pirated the game, since it is difficult to buy, but he did not say that.

It's not exactly instructions on how to pirate either. If it was, those are pretty terrible instructions. Analogous to giving instructions on how to make a bomb by saying: put explosives and a detonator together. Sure, it's technically true, but it's such common and unspecific information I certainly wouldn't qualify that as a tutorial.

Nemu said:
I'd feel bad for the guy if he wasn't blatantly an idiot and openly discussed pirating.
Should retail employees also be forbidden from discussing shoplifting?

I can see why GameStop fired him for this, but I don't like it either. Never seems right to me when somebody is punished for being honest about reality.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
Thank God he was fired! I mean, he didn't actualy tell anyone anything they didn't already know, and the sheer vagueness of his 'crash course in piracy' simply highlighted how common the practice is, but still, the man's a menace. I bet he cost them literally, er some small number of potential sales. Thank God this fringe lunatic is out of our stores and in the dole queue where he can never harm the corporate image of our beloved shops again. Phew!

Poraro

Apr 4, 2010
Calatar said:
This is getting repetitive, but no, he didn't admit to piracy. He admitted to knowledge of "how to pirate a game."
Analogous to how knowing how to kill somebody, and actually killing them are different things.
I am quoting this to get it through to many peoples skulls.

Also, yes, a lot of you are pretty much forgetting about freedom of speech. He was stating how easy it is to actually do it - this is FACT and GameStop are retarded for thinking firing him is sorting this problem.

From what I can see he was stating how stupid it is to ban the game, because that's all it is - a game, when it can be easily retrievable by pirating it.
And this isn't about Freedom of Speech anyway.
What is it about then? Because all I see is a guy stating the truth about something. I doubt GameStop have a contract saying "Do not EVER mention piracy to ANYONE!"

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
How bout a few more facts in future instead of baseless speculation? There's a good "news" reporter...

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Arcane Azmadi said:
Anyone who quotes "Freedom of Speech" as a reason why he should have been fired is an idiot, or at least knows nothing about the US constitution. Get this: "Freedom of Speech" does not make you legally immune to the consequences of anything you feel like saying at any time. It simply means the American government is not allowed to make it illegal for anyone to express an opinion. If you loudly abuse a cop in a public place you will be arrested and if you give a public interview where you basically (if unintentionally) encourage kids to download a violent rape simulator while appearing to speak as a representative for a major video game distributor then you should expect to be immediately sacked for misconduct.

I agree with everything else you said, but where did he encourage the kids to get the game? I don't see any glowing recommendations of the game in the article, or even anything remotely positive about it. Just the neutral "it's just a game" .

MaltesePigeon

Feb 3, 2010
I can't speak for the man myself, but I think I understand. I currently work at a store that sells video games (not a video game store)that sells Iron Man 2. If someone asks about the game, I have options:
1. Sell the game as if it was the best ever.
2. Pretend to know nothing about the game.
3. Tell the truth: I've seen a review stating that the game is about four hours long and not worth 60 dollars (twas AngryJoe).

I don't buy games at GameStop because they fire people unless they do a number one or a number two on me.

Yes, saying what he said was bad for the corporation that he worked for.
Yes, I hope he starts a website stating his opinion on games because I know that his honesty cost him something.
No, I don't need any batteries today. lol

He had integrity.