GameStop Employee Gives RapeLay Interview, Gets Fired

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
deth2munkies said:
So does that mean his job is open? STILL NEED ONE.
My analysis of your previous posts indicates that you have prior knowledge of video games and the gaming industry, combined with an IQ that is greater than seventy-five. I'm afraid that this automatically renders you ineligible for a post at GameStop. Fortunately, there are ways to become qualified for the position. These include:

1) Posting a video on YouTube of yourself being hit in the double-hanging man-tadpole factories by your own skateboard while attempting to do an "ollie".

2) Asking your current partner to clout you repeatedly over the head with a cooking instrument - preferably a frying pan, rolling pin, or heavy ladle. (Please note: if your partner has already done this, you may already qualify for a position with us.)

3) Watch the Michael Bay masterpiece "Armageddon" three consecutive times in a single sitting.

Once you have one or more of the above qualifications, we can offer you an interview. We recommend that you dose yourself on horse tranquilisers beforehand. This will help us to see how you react at a similar energy level to the one we expect you to maintain while working.

Good luck, and we hope to see you soon.

TMDDsC (Gamestop Human Resources).

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
The_ModeRazor said:
I guess it was more about the pirating than the game itself.
And!
Kids don't know technology. Adults don't know it either.
Do you know how that fucking box in your room actually works? How your Firefox, or Crysis runs?
No? Then you don't know technology. You just know how to use it. (hooray for hypocrisy: I don't know how it works either :p)
How my computer works:
The hamster runs, the gizmo turns, the duct tape sticks then the light turns on and it works.

OK back on topic:
But yeah never admit to a crime especially during an interview, well no children can?t buy rated R films, but they can get them for free from my website www.piraterobber.awsome... Wait why am I being fired? Rules are simple think then talk not the other way around.

-2fish

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
deth2munkies said:
So does that mean his job is open? STILL NEED ONE.
My analysis of your previous posts indicates that you have prior knowledge of video games and the gaming industry, combined with an IQ that is greater than seventy-five. I'm afraid that this automatically renders you ineligible for a post at GameStop. Fortunately, there are ways to become qualified for the position. These include:

1) Posting a video on YouTube of yourself being hit in the double-hanging man-tadpole factories by your own skateboard while attempting to do an "ollie".

2) Asking your current partner to clout you repeatedly over the head with a cooking instrument - preferably a frying pan, rolling pin, or heavy ladle. (Please note: if your partner has already done this, you may already qualify for a position with us.)

3) Watch the Michael Bay masterpiece "Armageddon" three consecutive times in a single sitting.

Once you have one or more of the above qualifications, we can offer you an interview. We recommend that you dose yourself on horse tranquilisers beforehand. This will help us to see how you react at a similar energy level to the one we expect you to maintain while working.

Good luck, and we hope to see you soon.

TMDDsC (Gamestop Human Resources).
Funny story, I actually did apply to Gamestop, got an interview and a callback, but the GM said they were only picking up former Gamecrazy employees because they evidently use the same system so there's no training involved.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
nipsen said:
...hold on. You're actually defending the idea of firing people who work for a company - that has no authority on what games to ban, or on any of the issues he actually spoke on - because he identified himself as an employee..

Did someone say.. "clear connections" a little further back there?
You may not like it, and it may not sound fair to you, but it's the way it is, and I would wager to even call it common sense not to mention your employer to the press in an interview over a recently controversial subject. I don't know if you've had any experience in the corporate world, but if you currently do or ever do in the future, keep this story in the back of your mind.

It has nothing to do with authority or any of the things you mention. Simple fact is, you mention a companies name, the link is automatically drawn by the press and thereby the consumers of said press, and could cost the company sales or publicity or whatever else. If it was just a random person, it wouldn't be a problem, there would be nothing Gamestop could do, but when it is from the inside, you are damn right they are going to take some measures, at the very least to set an example.
Haseo21 said:
What the fuck is RapeLay.
(call it a stupid question, I dont get out that often......wait, I dont stay in that often)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapeLay

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
(call it a stupid question, I dont get out that often......wait, I dont stay in that often)

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
I should point out several things in here to clarify, at least for me:

- He talks about Rapelay and simply states it's a game
- He talks about how kids these days can download every game by just adding "Torrent" in google, which might on here or other websites give kids that never heard of such things ideas.
- He informs the interviewer he is an employee of Gamestop, usually his opinion won't reflect Gamestop itself, but it can always be the case.
- He went from someone being another lad on the street to a Gamestop Employee, this is something big.

All in all, I still find the fact he was fired idiotic, he is a resident in the USA, which values their so-called Freedom of Speech alot. Apparently, they do not. His opinion is hurting Gamestop or promoting whatever kind of behaviour.
yeah I kinda felt it was idiotic too but I don't know a reason why even though he admitted to piracy

Haseo21 said:
Rapelay is a japanese video game where you rape 2 girls and their mother and force them to be your sex slaves (I read wikipedia article on this)the game is infamous for being amazon 2 or 3 years ago (I think) and only to be rekindled by cnn on a slow news day a few months ago

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
"Subject who asked to remain anonymous due to his affiliation to Gamestop"
Did he honestly think his opinion wasn't going to be printed if he didn't disclose who he was? The press prints anything it can for a story, and these days has been getting better at respecting the privacy of its sources.
Instead he ignores one rule of the company that is common in every place of business, just for his 15 minutes. Not only did he lose his job but also crippled his chances of working in any other game store in the US. There are things about it that could be considered quite ballsy of him, but this is the kind of thing you do when you don't expect to hang onto your job. One wonders if that was his expectation when he did this or if he is really that stupid, probably wondering if he can sue Gamestop.
And there is no Freedom of Speech infraction here. Any business can fire you for whatever reason they can think of. It just has to look good on paper. Now if he got arrested for it, then that would apply as a Freedom of Speech infraction. Every business I have worked at has had a carbon copied rule laid down for every employee: Do not speak with the press about anything except to refer them to management. You are a representative of the company, even if you are at the clear bottom of the pipeline. What you might disclose to the press who would then be in their rights to publish such disclosed information, can be damaging to the entire corporation. It not only might affect business, but how stocks for that business are affected as well. It is a very volatile system.
Think about that the next time you might think you don't really make a difference in your workplace. If you want to go out with a bang, this might just be the way to go. Just don't be surprised if after you are fired, you get served with a subpoena for a lawsuit for damages.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
chronobreak said:
It has nothing to do with authority or any of the things you mention. Simple fact is, you mention a companies name, the link is automatically drawn by the press and thereby the consumers of said press, and could cost the company sales or publicity or whatever else.
Let me guess: when you watch "Team America", you see no hint of sarcasm, but either:
1. A brave group of men defending their nation from dangerous peril.
or
2. A parable describing a people's will to do what's right in the face of almost certain dangerous peril.

Because your mind simply disallows you from thinking something else.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Stop right there, criminal scum!

And yes Donnyp, oh yes that would be excellent. I think this is madness, speaking about a means of piracy widely known (and reported in the media already).

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
nipsen said:
Let me guess: when you watch "Team America", you see no hint of sarcasm, but either:
1. A brave group of men defending their nation from dangerous peril.
or
2. A parable describing a people's will to do what's right in the face of almost certain dangerous peril.

Because your mind simply disallows you from thinking something else.
Nope, not at all. Let's try to keep the discussion geared more towards the topic, or if you are going to address what I said, let's keep it on the merit of my words and not my bilateral thinking ability, which is irrelavant to the point I made.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
sunpop said:
That aside saying he worked at game stop and therefore can be considered somewhat of an expert is a load of crap. That logic would mean the CEO's of game stop are the ultimate source for gaming knowledge when odds are they don't even play games.
That he, as a person who works with videogames on a daily basis, is somewhat more knowledgable on consumer behavior, game content, and the industry at large than a lay person or average news viewer is in no way a load of crap.

-m
I said him being an expert is crap not that he couldn't know more than an average consumer. The difference being an expert would know a whole hell of a lot more than an average consumer. Perhaps I was too hasty in saying it's a load of crap but odds are he is far from being an actual expert on gaming. I doubt he knows more about gaming than most people on the escapist, he's probably about equal in knowledge to us.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
sunpop said:
Matt_LRR said:
sunpop said:
That aside saying he worked at game stop and therefore can be considered somewhat of an expert is a load of crap. That logic would mean the CEO's of game stop are the ultimate source for gaming knowledge when odds are they don't even play games.
That he, as a person who works with videogames on a daily basis, is somewhat more knowledgable on consumer behavior, game content, and the industry at large than a lay person or average news viewer is in no way a load of crap.

-m
I said him being an expert is crap not that he couldn't know more than an average consumer. The difference being an expert would know a whole hell of a lot more than an average consumer. Perhaps I was too hasty in saying it's a load of crap but odds are he is far from being an actual expert on gaming. I doubt he knows more about gaming than most people on the escapist, he's probably about equal in knowledge to us.
compared to your average person, we are all experts on video games.

-m

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
So I want to know about the status of films' recognition, and how controversial the topic of gay relations in movies is. Let's ask this ticket guy at the local cineplex for an opinion.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
3nimac said:
Next up in the news:
"An Escapist Magazine employee was fired recently for explaining how GameStop employee explained how to pirate Rapelay..."

Im kidding of course but the question does come to mind, if quoting what he said in a news article isn't grounds for losing a job, why the hell did he lose his job? This world confuses me.
As an employee of a company that's bussiness model is to make profit from selling games and game related items mention something that ditracts or henders it is counterproductive to to thier goals. The escapist mostly just comments on the gaming culture and isn't personally invested in the selling of games.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
The_ModeRazor said:
I guess it was more about the pirating than the game itself.
And!
Kids don't know technology. Adults don't know it either.
Do you know how that fucking box in your room actually works? How your Firefox, or Crysis runs?
No? Then you don't know technology. You just know how to use it. (hooray for hypocrisy: I don't know how it works either :p)
For the record, I kinda know how it all works. I'm out of practice, but my CompSci AAS wasn't a complete waste.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
chronobreak said:
Nope, not at all. Let's try to keep the discussion geared more towards the topic, or if you are going to address what I said, let's keep it on the merit of my words and not my bilateral thinking ability, which is irrelavant to the point I made.
Such as the comment about my corporate background?

Problem is - he speaks about games and the customers he has. It's not a confidential job, he doesn't specify anyone - he could simply be working as a clerk in any store that sells games, and make that same comment.

So what is the thinking going on here? That he attaches the thought of piracy to Gamestop? That there is an image of shinyness and cellophaned cleanness that Gamestop feels their employee did something negative towards?

Obviously we have no idea if that actually was the reason - but here we are, aren't we, with both the article writer and many posters /defending/ that idea. That we don't know if actually was the reason.

So yes, I feel I can question people's ..bi...lateral thinking process because of that.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
SaintWaldo said:
Matt_LRR said:
Dude should have adhered to GameStop's "don't talk to the press" policy.

Dumb.

That said, if the media paid more attention to statements exactly like his we might see more reasonable policy making and discourse with regards to the industy.

The game isn't available here, and is only obtainable through piracy. Banning it will achieve nothing, because you already can't buy it here anyhow. Regulating this game simply sets an uncomfortable precedent, and fails to actually regulate access to the game at all.

He's 100% right in what he says.

-m
Except he wasn't representing GS. This is BS. I can't believe The Escapist actually defends a chilling corporate policy like this.
Having been identified as an employee of GS, he explicitly was representing Gamestop. He wasn't speaking on behalf of gamestop, or representing the company's opinions, but his statements reflect on the corporation. Absolutely they do.

It's written into the emplyee agreement at GS that employees are to decline to speak to the press, and forward all requests for media to the corporate communications department.

Had he identified himself as "a gamer" or "a game retailer" this would be no issue. But the moment he names his employer he bacame a representative, and an unauthorized one at that.

That he got canned should be surprising to no one.

-m
So, you're defending a chilling policy?