GameStop Predicts Slower than Expected Sales for the 3DS in the Future

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
GameStop Predicts Slower than Expected Sales for the 3DS in the Future

Nintendo's new handheld doesn't seem to have the Wii-like appeal that the company hoped it would, or least, not according to GameStop.

Videogame retailer GameStop believes that Nintendo's latest handheld, the 3DS, won't sell as well as projected, as least not in the next quarter. Speaking during an earnings call, GameStop president Tony Bartel said that the company had managed to capture significant market share with the 3DS, but expected a slight slump in the future.

The 3DS has sold respectably well, and Nintendo had over 3.6 million units by the end of March. Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to have overestimated the draw of its glasses-free 3D, as it had predicted that it would ship 4 million units by that point. What's more, while Nintendo claimed the 3DS launch was a success [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108836-Nintendo-Calls-US-3DS-Launch-a-Smashing-Success ] - Nintendo America President Reggie Fils-Aime said it was the biggest launch of any Nintendo handheld to date - the response [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/8751-Midnight-3DS-Launch-Underwhelms-in-New-York ] to the New York City midnight launch was smaller than Nintendo had expected.

Back in April, Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata blamed slow sales in Japan on the recent earthquake and tsunami that had devastated the country, although he admitted that didn't explain the relatively slow sales in the rest of the world. He said that Nintendo would step up its marketing efforts, and would emphasize the launch of the 3DS eShop and the 3DS' expanded video content.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34742/GameStop_3DS_Launch_Success_Dampened_By_Lagging_Sales.php]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
3D is still a bit of a hard sale, I'm afraid. Maybe that explains the slow sales. The games for the 3DS are still rather lackluster, but there are some games on the horizon to look forward to, so who knows? Maybe sales for the 3DS will pick up during the holidays or during the summer when most 3DS games will be releasing.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Maybe its just the product, I've played the 3DS a fair bit and must admit that I'm not that impressed with it. But Nintendo do have a tradition of releasing something which is better than sex with Gemma Arterton, and then the next big console is usually only as good as sex with Norman Bates' mother

Still more than happy with my DSi to be honest

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Don't much care for the 3D myself, but I think one of the biggest failures was to leave something they were advertising so heavily out at release.

I am referring to the Internet Browser and Online shop, neither of which were available on release and still aren't available a of this post.

If you advertise your handheld as being able to do something, make sure that it does that something when you actually release the thing.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Meh, I think it's the lacklustre launch titles. At least, that's my primary reason for not buying one. None of them interested me. I've seen one, and found the 3d to be impressive, but without any decent games ...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Once the whole 3D fad is finally behind us, the 3DS won't really have a lot to stand on. It really needs those killer apps, and fast. The launch titles for the 3DS really were quite poor, mainly remakes and crappy sequels. They really should focus on improving and refining those AR games that the 3DS came packaged with, IMO.

I certainly haven't been convinced to buy one yet, and won't in the forseeable future, unless they make something genuinely appealling, and isn't just a blatant rehash (I'm looking at you Rayman 3D).

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
I will only buy this if Megaman Legends 3 is indeed released for it. If not, I'll pass over it and will probably buy 400 units of GameBoy Micros to spite Nintendo.

And also to throw me into poverty, I guess.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
voorhees123 said:
They have released to many handheld variations so far. 3D isnt that big a sell point, games have been 3d for ages. Ok, its not poking you in the face but games like Oblivion and MW are 3D in their own way. 3D is a fad that will die out soon as it adds nothing to films and games. A crappy 3D film/game is still crap whether its in 3D or not.
And a crappy movie is still crap regardless of how good the story is, so we should clearly forgo all stories in movies, and just make more in vein of the Nisqatsi films.
We also don't need color. Any film shot in color is a gimmick.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Not buying one until I absolutely have to, which will be the next Pokemon game. (Unless Nintendo has some sense, and makes it DS compatible with some extras for the 3DS or whatever.)

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
I want one but I can't drop the money on it yet. Besides, that battery life is giving me second doubts.

Gustavo S. Buschle

Feb 23, 2011
It is ridiculous, they should know that the sales are not about the console but about the games that are available at launch.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
blue heartless said:
I will only buy this if Megaman Legends 3 is indeed released for it. If not, I'll pass over it and will probably buy 400 units of GameBoy Micros to spite Nintendo.

And also to throw me into poverty, I guess.
You want to punish Nintendo for a decision that would be made by Capcom.

They really can't win, can they.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Wieke said:
Meh, I think it's the lacklustre launch titles. At least, that's my primary reason for not buying one. None of them interested me. I've seen one, and found the 3d to be impressive, but without any decent games ...
Nailed it. It's like when the PS3 launched. Neat system, but not games to play on it. I'm waiting for the two Zelda games, and perhaps a price cut, before I buy a 3DS.