GameStop Pulls OnLive Coupons From Deus Ex: Human Revolution

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Beautiful End said:
Some games are opened at GameStop and the boxes are put up for display (Why we don't use a dud box and cover art for this purpose is beyond me. Although that would mean we would have t do that for every single game in the store..) So if you snatch the last copy at that store, yes, your game will be open BUT BRAND NEW ANYWAY. It sucks, I know.

And yeah, I see this as a dick move. But let's analyze this: Imagine McDonalds gives a coupon for a free hamburger when you buy one of the same value. Now imagine if they printed this coupon on...I don't know, all the BK water cups. Just bear with me, please; I know it sounds redunkulous.
What would BK do? They would probably stop giving away drinks with their meals. Or they would change their cups. Some customer might say "Hey! Where's this coupon I heard of?" to what some employee might reply "Sorry, we had to remove them because they promote McDonalds. :/"

Very few people are gonna stop and analyze this like that. They just hear the word Freebies and they demand stuff. No, I am not defending GameStop simply because I work there. GameStop has its dick moves (Like trade-ins) and that's the management's fault, not the employees. What I think GameStop should have done was add some sort of incentive to kinda say "Hey, you're not getting that one coupon but we're giving away something else instead". But again, that's not up to them, it's up to the developer that decides to give something away via GameStop.

I don't know. I see my beloved Square Enix pulling the biggest dick move here for not telling GameStop.
"WHOOPS! We forgot to mention that the games come with a coupon from your rival. So...too late! if you wanna sell any copies at all, you gotta sell the copies we gave you! :D *TROLL FACE*"
Now the reason why your argument fails is because you used an example where the actual product. The Soda itself. Had not been tampered with in any way. Now if let's say Burger King Diluted their soda with 1/2 pint of water without informing the customer then they come into the same territory as GameStop.

Not to mention that GameStop doesn't actually Own this game like Burger King owns the gallons of soda it had purchased or cups. Burger King is not a retailer, Burger King is a seller of fast food. What GameStop does is form a bridge between the publisher and average customer. Which means it sells items, pre-made by other companies, not their own stock. The publishers decide what is inside of these game boxes and legally GameStop has no right to remove or add anything to these game boxes without informing the customer.

Which they didn't. Had they put up a Giant Sign or had the store clerk mention "This game usually comes with an Coupon for a free copy of this game from OnLive. However we removed it because we feel it is harmful to our store image so you won't be getting one. Do you still want to buy it?" then responsibility lies solely with the customer.

He was informed of the changes made to the product and decided to buy it anyway. That is not what happened. They didn't say anything. They just opened each and every box and removed the coupon that was supposed to be inside the box. They tampered with their products without informing the customer.

It isn't the removal of the coupon that is illegal. It is not informing the customer. This effectively devalues the product as burning a coupon for a 50$ game is a pretty significant middle finger to your customer, not to mention their insult to your intelligence.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wow, stay classy Gamestop.

Beautiful End said:
I don't know. I see my beloved Square Enix pulling the biggest dick move here for not telling GameStop.
I don't know, I'm having trouble seeing their obligation to disclose here.

I'm no fan of SQUENIX, but this doesn't seem like a dick move.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Ghengis John said:
major_chaos said:
Ghengis John said:
major_chaos said:
for some reason this doesn't bother me much. I've never had a bad experience with Gamestop before and I HATE onlive with every fiber of my being (that and the fact that I fail to understand the "boo-hoo the box is open gamestop is evil" thing) so i'll let this slide.
They took out something from the box that customers paid for. How does that not bother you exactly?
I don't know about you but I paid for a disc with deus ex on it to install on my computer not a freebie coupon for a service that I will never use and personally wish would die quietly in a corner
And they opened your box and took something out of it. Again why doesn't that bother you? Because you dislike the service? So because you don't like somebody it's okay to steal from them? I don't really understand how prejudice excuses a crime.
I doesn't bother me because they (as I said in the edited version of my previous post) took out a freebie, the Steam version costs the same amount and it doesn't have the Onlive voucher so is Steam stealing form you?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I dont see a problem with it.
They shouldnt be forced to promote their competition.
If the disk works, the CD-Key is intact, and theres no bodily fluid in the box, im fine with it.

MattmanX311

Oct 22, 2008
I'm kinda confused by this situation for two reasons....
1. Not a month ago I was in a gamestop that didn't stock PC games at all to hear a cashier suggesting buying a game on Steam.
2. How likely is a customer to actually buy a digital copy after actuially spending the money to buy a hard copy?

I'm not defending Gamestop by any means in this situation(although I've never really had issues with them), but I think that the demonization as in many cases falls to the corporate side of things. As with anything that becomes profitable it is ruined by simply that the prospect of increasing that profit. As always the customer is the one to suffer in these instances, and as much as I hate to say it we're left with little options but to deal with it. Because sadly no matter how many people boycott, no matter how much people complain the higher ups of Gamestops management are never gonna stop loving that money....

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:

Beautiful End said:

WTFBBQ nothing to see here just The Escapist messing up...

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:

Beautiful End said:

I don't think SquareEnix did anything wrong, it's no different than when games recommend AMD or Intel, it's market competition.

Besides SquareEnix's biggest dick move was FFXIII... zing!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
If we extend the gamestop logic a little publishers should inform them if a game is long and has high replay value(like skyrim) because customers buying those may not come back for month. And before someone feels the urge to point that it is not exactly the same: I know that, It's still the same line of reasoning.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
For people wondering the legality, Joystiq's "go-to-guru" for legal matters, Mark Methenitis, put this on Joystiq:

"According to Methenitis, GameStop's actions were "probably legal." The packaging of the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution makes no mention of the OnLive promotion and, as such, GameStop can't be accused of false advertising or deceptive trade practices. "From the consumer angle," said Methenitis, "there's not much."

The corporate angle, on the other hand, could be a different matter. If there was an agreement between Square and GameStop prohibiting such a promotion, GameStop could be "completely justified" in its action. Absent of such an agreement, "OnLive and or Square may have a claim against GameStop for tortious interference or something else based on the activity." That said, without any details as to the distribution agreement, the legal implications of GameStop's actions remain murky."

So they may be legal, but let us not forget the court of public opinion is far less lenient.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
MattmanX311 said:
2. How likely is a customer to actually buy a digital copy after actuially spending the money to buy a hard copy?
Since you don't bother to read the story at hand before blindly jumping into the discussion...

Andy Chalk said:
OnLive and Square Enix announced yesterday that as an extra incentive for gamers who couldn't quite bring themselves to pull the trigger on the new Deus Ex release, all boxed copies of the PC version of the game will include a coupon for a free copy from cloud gaming company OnLive.
major_chaos said:
Besides you didn't "pay" for the Onlive voucher, the steam version costs the same and doesn't come with it so I would say that it was a freebie.
Again, what if Amazon took out the Digital Copy discs and/or slips from BDs because they prefer that people watch their on-demand service and not use iTunes for that digital copy? Is that ok?

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
FreakSheet said:
For people wondering the legality, Joystiq's "go-to-guru" for legal matters, Mark Methenitis, put this on Joystiq:

"According to Methenitis, GameStop's actions were "probably legal." The packaging of the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution makes no mention of the OnLive promotion and, as such, GameStop can't be accused of false advertising or deceptive trade practices. "From the consumer angle," said Methenitis, "there's not much."

The corporate angle, on the other hand, could be a different matter. If there was an agreement between Square and GameStop prohibiting such a promotion, GameStop could be "completely justified" in its action. Absent of such an agreement, "OnLive and or Square may have a claim against GameStop for tortious interference or something else based on the activity." That said, without any details as to the distribution agreement, the legal implications of GameStop's actions remain murky."

So they may be legal, but let us not forget the court of public opinion is far less lenient.
Interesting. I personally can't wait to see how this develops.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
qwerty19411 said:
major_chaos said:
Ghengis John said:
major_chaos said:
Ghengis John said:
major_chaos said:
for some reason this doesn't bother me much. I've never had a bad experience with Gamestop before and I HATE onlive with every fiber of my being (that and the fact that I fail to understand the "boo-hoo the box is open gamestop is evil" thing) so i'll let this slide.
They took out something from the box that customers paid for. How does that not bother you exactly?
I don't know about you but I paid for a disc with deus ex on it to install on my computer not a freebie coupon for a service that I will never use and personally wish would die quietly in a corner
And they opened your box and took something out of it. Again why doesn't that bother you? Because you dislike the service? So because you don't like somebody it's okay to steal from them? I don't really understand how prejudice excuses a crime.
I doesn't bother me because they (as I said in the edited version of my previous post) took out a freebie, the Steam version costs the same amount and it doesn't have the Onlive voucher so is Steam stealing form you?
Did they advertise the Steam version came with an Onlive voucher?
No because Onlive is their direct competitor just like it is for Gamestop
(plus I never remember seeing anything about an Onlive voucher in the box and Gamestop came right out and said that the voucher would not be in their copies of the game so it wasn't some big running scam)If anything I see squeenix as the dicks in this situation, by including this Onlive thing they basically told GS (and other game retailers) "oh by the way if you want to sell this big name AAA release that's sure to bring in lots of sales you have to support a competitor *troll face*"

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
fozzy360 said:
MattmanX311 said:
Since you don't bother to read the story at hand before blindly jumping into the discussion...

Andy Chalk said:
OnLive and Square Enix announced yesterday that as an extra incentive for gamers who couldn't quite bring themselves to pull the trigger on the new Deus Ex release, all boxed copies of the PC version of the game will include a coupon for a free copy from cloud gaming company OnLive.
major_chaos said:
Besides you didn't "pay" for the Onlive voucher, the steam version costs the same and doesn't come with it so I would say that it was a freebie.
Again, what if Amazon took out the Digital Copy discs and/or slips from BDs because they prefer that people watch their on-demand service and not use iTunes for that digital copy? Is that ok?
it's impossible for me to be totally unbiased and logical about this because in both the case of this story and your "what if" I see it as a useless voucher for an awful inferior service being removed. and to top it off yes I would be OK with that to be honest I consider physical to be vastly superior to digital, so a voucher for a product I already have the better version of means nothing to me

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
qwerty19411 said:
major_chaos said:
qwerty19411 said:
major_chaos said:
Ghengis John said:
major_chaos said:
Ghengis John said:
major_chaos said:
Did they advertise the Steam version came with an Onlive voucher?
No because Onlive is their direct competitor just like it is for Gamestop
(plus I never remember seeing anything about an Onlive voucher in the box and Gamestop came right out and said that the voucher would not be in their copies of the game so it wasn't some big running scam)If anything I see squeenix as the dicks in this situation, by including this Onlive thing they basically told GS (and other game retailers) "oh by the way if you want to sell this big name AAA release that's sure to bring in lots of sales you have to support a competitor *troll face*"
So people never expected an Onlive voucher with the Steam version, unlike the retail version.
actually I was never expecting a voucher in the retail box I hear that it was included about the same time I heard it wouldn't be in Gamestop copies so I (and every one I've asked) was in fact NOT expecting the Onlive voucher in the retail box
EDIT: you edited while I was posting :( but I honestly don't understand what that article changes I already said that GS was competing with Onlive

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
They're both in the wrong here. It's a pretty big dick move to go in, contract already made, copies already bought, and all of a sudden say, "HEY, INCIDENTALLY WE'RE GONNA MAKE ALL OF YOU ADVERTISE YOUR COMPETITOR DEAL WITH IT LOLZ."

But that in no way shape or form justifies actually breaking into brand new copies of the game and taking out something that came with it.