GameStop Responds to "GTA V Midnight Release Video" Controversy

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
From my time at the company I can tell you that they probably already fired the manager. For this no, but they'll go to your store and watch the DVR for hours to find something they can fire you for. Oh you didn't lock these drawers up 3 nights your fired for lp violations and you can sue for unemployment. That's how this company works ;p

On that note the manager should have just let it be let him walk out and be done with it or call the cops if need be and have him removed, if she wasn't going to give him the game.

No ID no Game, if you have the receipt you can get your money back but it's basically an R rated movie and cigarettes, you don't have ID you can't be sold it. It's not up for discussion and if you sell an M rated game to a minor in any country any store you will be fired, Your job is more important then whatever pissed off customer.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Um...the video didn't exactly show how much of a big deal he made showing his ID. Anyone have some sort of extended cut?

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Yopaz said:
Honestly I don't think GameStop should ever bother with investigating this. Yes, it wasn't very professional of her, but it's hardly like it's such a big deal. He was clearly overreacting a little. However I guess given the circumstances it's understandable. People working on these midnight launches are stressed, some of those who go there to buy games are stressed, some are in a bad mood because of the time and the crowd. Really, there's a reason I prefer digital distribution.
A PERSON THREATENING TO RELEASE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
thenoblitt said:
Yopaz said:
Honestly I don't think GameStop should ever bother with investigating this. Yes, it wasn't very professional of her, but it's hardly like it's such a big deal. He was clearly overreacting a little. However I guess given the circumstances it's understandable. People working on these midnight launches are stressed, some of those who go there to buy games are stressed, some are in a bad mood because of the time and the crowd. Really, there's a reason I prefer digital distribution.
A PERSON THREATENING TO RELEASE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL
Yes, it is. Joking isn't against the law where I am from however.

If you had bothered reading past the first sentence of my post you'd see my explanation. I think this is simply a result of a stressful situation on both ends. She should not have made that comment and that's very unprofessional of her. He shouldn't be so opposed to show his ID and he overreacted to what you could hear from her tone was intended as a joke.

I'm not taking her side in this. I simply know that the result of an investigation is that a stressful midnight shift resulted in unprofessional and rude behaviour from an employee.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
WittyInfidel said:
In my personal opinion, he was a very rude customer. However, when she offered (joking or not) to give away his info that the store is supposed to hold in confidence to any random customer(s), she crossed a line. According to the US Information Privacy laws: "Information collected about an individual cannot be disclosed to other organizations or individuals unless authorized by law or by consent of the individual." This includes mailing addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.

In short, she broke the law, whether in jest or seriousness. I have no pity.
Disagree. If she had actually disclosed his email address then she would be guilty of a crime, but she merely joked about revealing it.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
What he is doing right there is harassment, If I was in that store I would have been telling him to shut up and get out. Its a midnight release and he already has his game. + Only idiots forget their IDs when buying games for themselves. Lul you have to DRIVE to gamestop idiot. You didn't bring your drivers license?

People amaze me, especially the lengths nerds will go to to take the wrong or blame off of them and try to put it on others.

EDIT: The worker was in fault however, I just hate people who get uppidy about nothing. If I was in his shoes I would have quietly left the store after she threatened to release my email publicly and then report it so she would lose her job.

THAT'S how you have a pissing contest.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
spwatkins said:
WittyInfidel said:
In my personal opinion, he was a very rude customer. However, when she offered (joking or not) to give away his info that the store is supposed to hold in confidence to any random customer(s), she crossed a line. According to the US Information Privacy laws: "Information collected about an individual cannot be disclosed to other organizations or individuals unless authorized by law or by consent of the individual." This includes mailing addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.

In short, she broke the law, whether in jest or seriousness. I have no pity.
Disagree. If she had actually disclosed his email address then she would be guilty of a crime, but she merely joked about revealing it.
Joking about killing someone is pretty damn serious too. I told someone I was going to kill them jokingly in the 4th grade and kicked out of my school. IN 4TH GRADE AS A KID. That can be considered a threat and it IS against the law.

EDIT: Unless you have a source to counter that it is not illegal to say that you are going to do something illegal (Remember the LoL incident? He got jail time) then don't try to argue with me.

DC1

Jun 8, 2009
It's true the woman wasn't the most professional, but that can be hard when a customer like that is busting your chops.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
And this is a textbook reason of just why I do the overwhelming majority of my shopping online or through the post.

Knowing the internet though I would not be at all surprised if the gestalt internet mob-mind finds out who this poor schmuck is and proves him absolutely right for not wishing to give his personal information out to total strangers by targeting him with identity fraud of some variety.