GameStop Responds to "GTA V Midnight Release Video" Controversy

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Church185 said:
If you actually read what you posted, what she did doesn't constitute criminal harassment.

"Whoever willfully and maliciously engages in a knowing pattern of conduct or series of acts directed at a specific person" isn't what happened. It was an isolated incident of elevated frustration that is clearly shown in the video which could be submitted as evidence. Sure, she shouldn't have overreacted, but this "threat" wasn't a breech of the law as you have laid it out.

Please try again.
Criminal harassment is defined as behavior that the harasser knows would cause undue fear, intimidation or persecution, and adversely affects the victim's safety and security. A victim may receive threatening or obscene phone calls, unwanted gifts, notes and text messages, or observe the harasser loitering outside home or work.

If you read the whole thing, you might have seen this. This is exactly what she did, knowing exactly what the result would have been.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
WittyInfidel said:
Criminal harassment is defined as behavior that the harasser knows would cause undue fear, intimidation or persecution, and adversely affects the victim's safety and security. A victim may receive threatening or obscene phone calls, unwanted gifts, notes and text messages, or observe the harasser loitering outside home or work.

If you read the whole thing, you might have seen this. This is exactly what she did, knowing exactly what the result would have been.
That definition isn't part of the law [https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter265/Section43A] you posted, so wouldn't hold up in MA court.

According to findlaw.com: "Not all petty annoyances constitute harassment. Instead, most state laws require that the behavior cause a credible threat to the person's safety or their family's safety."

The "threat" was an offhand remark by an annoyed employee that she would give away the guys business card, something usually given away as a form of advertisement. Luckily for her, the video evidence of this is out there for anyone to see and could be submitted as evidence. If any case were brought against her it would most likely be dismissed. However, harassment could be filed against anyone who decided to call his business number to bother him.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Another thought that could have defused the situation right out of the gate. The manager could have and should have changed it up two fold:

When the guy refused to show ID and started a tirade,

1) the manger could have kindly asked him to get to the back of the line and have proper ID ready when coming around again.

2) the manager could have asked him to "please leave and come back during normal business hours, with ID, to pick up your game."

Midnight releases are a privilege that stores do for their customers to help more relate to them and get them to shop at that location. They aren't a right, they're outside normal business hours, and it can be refused to release the copy of the game until normal business hours if the customer is being a total asshat.

Also, since I see it popping up time and time again, I must reiterate: THERE WAS NO THREAT OF SHARING PRIVATE INFORMATION. The customer originally tried using a business card (lol), which he left there on the counter after his rant and picking up the game. The manager simply made a jest that his business card, which is public information that he -the customer- left, was there for someone to "thank him for holding up the line". It's not information on their computers, nothing on the pre-order receipt. It's a business card that he, the nitwit, left there after trying to ignorantly use that as ID (which, if that really worked, I could show myself to be a mechanic, lawyer, insurance agent, tax preparer, and hair stylist).

P.S. It seemed that this guy was only there for that one midnight released game and probably wouldn't shop at Gamestop again anyways. However, most of those other customers there seemed jolly and happy with the store, most likely to shop there again. Better for the customer to relate and try to appease to the 9 in line and lose the 1 'customer', instead of losing 9 customer and gaining approval of the 1 guy. That's simplistic business. Can't please all the people, all the time. So just please the largest mount that'll repeat business.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm a big proponent for workers rights, particularly in customer relations, but he has the right of it. The customer behaved normally and rationally, and she was inflammatory and rude, and made a threat. If she isn't able to do her job at midnight, she shouldn't be working at midnight (and if that means at all, than so be it). Props to the dude.

NerAnima

Jun 29, 2013
Okay, why is there such a big issue with simply showing your ID to prove that you are of legal age and the person who is supposed to be picking up said copy? In the video, in the comments here, why is this such a problem? It takes me 10 seconds to show my ID, why must this be the big issue here?

OT: It seems like both are at fault, I would have to see more before deciding who takes the blame on this one.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Both are at fault. He should've just shown his ID, seriously, is it that hard? That said, she shouldn't have said that as he was walking out, whether it was a joke or not. There really shouldn't even be an investigation. She should be punished, but not fired. And he should be given notice that he need to show his ID to get an M rated game, simple as that, don't like it, too bad.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/gamestop-employee-allegedly-fired-after-video-goes-viral-of

Rumor has it she got fired, but it's from a Youtube comment so grain of salt everyone.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Stop making threats or statements made in anger reason enough to fire someone. She should at most be warned for her actions or....possibly....demoted from a manager position into a normal sales position.

While what she said was wrong....the customer was being rediculous and for no reason and she was probably frustrated as much for all the other customers having to wait because of the idiot....as she was for his own comments.

Personally I would have just told him to wait on the side when he didn't present his ID...until the rest of the line was done and then she could work with him. She engaged him too much and should have just ignored him after he refused to show ID and continued helping other customers (who did have their ID).

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
I love how the people at gamestop know me after a year to where I can walk in and go "What up nerds" and we laugh :D. The reason this is, I'm not a ass hat to them.

Also this stinks of the customer is always right bullshit.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
I try to look at this stuff by putting myself in the given situation. Now, my issue with this one comes not from the reactions of either of them, but the general idea of stores requiring ID for things that aren't legally controlled. See, I'm 19, and I don't have any kind of photo ID. I don't drive, my passport is expired, and I haven't done anything else that would require a photo ID. So what the hell am I supposed to do? Games aren't legally an age-restricted product in most of Canada or the US, so I don't see any reason that Gamestop should need anything more than my preorder receipt to pick up something I've already paid for.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
He was being a douche, and he could've handled this properly. All he had to do was show ID to her and no big deal.

Although I kinda have to side with him, I mean even if she joked, giving away personal info like that to others is serious and breaks public trust. Could he had responded better? Of course, but he had a right to make this an issue.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Ravinoff said:
I try to look at this stuff by putting myself in the given situation. Now, my issue with this one comes not from the reactions of either of them, but the general idea of stores requiring ID for things that aren't legally controlled. See, I'm 19, and I don't have any kind of photo ID. I don't drive, my passport is expired, and I haven't done anything else that would require a photo ID. So what the hell am I supposed to do? Games aren't legally an age-restricted product in most of Canada or the US, so I don't see any reason that Gamestop should need anything more than my preorder receipt to pick up something I've already paid for.
Besides why even ask for an ID if you don't even look like a child Not saying you are, but Gamestop has had ask me for ID and I obviously am not a child. So it's weird.

Plus that guy looks like he is college, they should ask for ID if you look that young to get a mature game.

Sep 14, 2009
Ravinoff said:
then quite simply, you don't buy your "M" games from gamestop, is it really that hard? Ordering online and/or other shops who possibly don't hold such policy are available, shop there then. good luck buying certain things at the store also, i can't tell you how many times i've had to show ID for random stuff in stores (wal-mart/target/etc..) because they shouldn't be sold to minors.

This isn't an example of an employee having a hot head, this is an example of a customer not realizing what they were getting into when they pre-ordered a game, and threw a fit when they got called out on it. It wasn't a big deal to anyone else in line to have an ID (via the video) and seeing how this policy isn't brand new, it shouldn't be such a surprise when an employee is following a store policy.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
Doom972 said:
Bat Vader said:
Doom972 said:
I hope that manager gets fired and fast. Threatening to share his personal information is out of line, and so is the way she tried to get him angrier by insulting him as he was about to leave. This could have been over in 2 minutes max instead of 10 if she had acted professionally instead of just being a troll.

Also, why a photo ID? Why not a receipt with a unique order number? How backwards can a major retailer be.
It could have been over even faster if the guy had not been rude and just taken the two seconds to show her his ID. She is just a manger. She has to follow the rules that the higher ups make. If they want their employees to ask for ID than the employees have to follow what the higher ups say.

Hardly anyone is going to hold onto a receipt for a long period of time. I pre-order my games usually six months in advance. In that amount of time I could either throw them out by accident, lose them, or the ink on it will fade. Showing ID is much easier.

Plus, they also have to ask for ID to make sure that the person is of age to legally purchase the game.
He could've known about having to show ID, and he could've not known. If it bothered him that much, then he probably didn't know. Personally, I don't show my ID to anyone who asks. Also, shouldn't they have verified his age when he made the pre-order? Receipts aren't that hard to keep, and I'm guessing he had one if he didn't know that he had to show his ID.

You claim that the customer was a jackass? Fine, it doesn't matter anyway - the customer isn't the issue here. The manager is supposed to be a professional about when dealing with customers (especially if they're jerks), and definitely not insult and threaten him, which is jerk behavior by itself, and what caused many people to wait in line needlessly.
its more to make sure "john" is "john", and david didn't find or take his receipt and is claiming to be him, i've had to show my ID tons of times for random items i've purchased or pre-purchased, it is seriously not that hard to take 5 seconds to pull your ID out, that is what it is for, for identifying yourself.

the customer is the issue, they did start the whole scuffle because they did not pay attention in the slightest when pre-ordering the game or simply knowing very basicstore policies, and he continued to do so for 10 minutes when he could've been out of there in less than a minute if he would've just pulled out his ID to get his game.

you didn't like her sarcastic joke about his business card? fine, i won't argue sarcasm
I doubt that he didn't want to show his ID out of laziness. It's a privacy issue. Ever heard of identity theft?
If the manager had kept a professional attitude it wouldn't have taken 10 minutes.

Sep 14, 2009
Doom972 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Doom972 said:
Bat Vader said:
Doom972 said:
I hope that manager gets fired and fast. Threatening to share his personal information is out of line, and so is the way she tried to get him angrier by insulting him as he was about to leave. This could have been over in 2 minutes max instead of 10 if she had acted professionally instead of just being a troll.

Also, why a photo ID? Why not a receipt with a unique order number? How backwards can a major retailer be.
It could have been over even faster if the guy had not been rude and just taken the two seconds to show her his ID. She is just a manger. She has to follow the rules that the higher ups make. If they want their employees to ask for ID than the employees have to follow what the higher ups say.

Hardly anyone is going to hold onto a receipt for a long period of time. I pre-order my games usually six months in advance. In that amount of time I could either throw them out by accident, lose them, or the ink on it will fade. Showing ID is much easier.

Plus, they also have to ask for ID to make sure that the person is of age to legally purchase the game.
He could've known about having to show ID, and he could've not known. If it bothered him that much, then he probably didn't know. Personally, I don't show my ID to anyone who asks. Also, shouldn't they have verified his age when he made the pre-order? Receipts aren't that hard to keep, and I'm guessing he had one if he didn't know that he had to show his ID.

You claim that the customer was a jackass? Fine, it doesn't matter anyway - the customer isn't the issue here. The manager is supposed to be a professional about when dealing with customers (especially if they're jerks), and definitely not insult and threaten him, which is jerk behavior by itself, and what caused many people to wait in line needlessly.
its more to make sure "john" is "john", and david didn't find or take his receipt and is claiming to be him, i've had to show my ID tons of times for random items i've purchased or pre-purchased, it is seriously not that hard to take 5 seconds to pull your ID out, that is what it is for, for identifying yourself.

the customer is the issue, they did start the whole scuffle because they did not pay attention in the slightest when pre-ordering the game or simply knowing very basicstore policies, and he continued to do so for 10 minutes when he could've been out of there in less than a minute if he would've just pulled out his ID to get his game.

you didn't like her sarcastic joke about his business card? fine, i won't argue sarcasm
I doubt that he didn't want to show his ID out of laziness. It's a privacy issue. Ever heard of identity theft?
If the manager had kept a professional attitude it wouldn't have taken 10 minutes.
Which could've been avoided, had he simply paid attention to store policy, which wasn't by any means a new thing. Obviously everyone else in the store was full ready to show their ID, if he had such a problem with it he shouldn't have pre-ordered the game there, period.

What "professional" attitude would've prevented him from acting like a little entitled child? please tell, because as far as the video goes, she didn't do anything until the end when she was getting frustrated for how long it was taking for him to simply show his ID and not be a twat about it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
Doom972 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Doom972 said:
Bat Vader said:
Doom972 said:

Which could've been avoided, had he simply paid attention to store policy, which wasn't by any means a new thing. Obviously everyone else in the store was full ready to show their ID, if he had such a problem with it he shouldn't have pre-ordered the game there, period.

What "professional" attitude would've prevented him from acting like a little entitled child? please tell, because as far as the video goes, she didn't do anything until the end when she was getting frustrated for how long it was taking for him to simply show his ID and not be a twat about it.
Again, I'm not arguing whether what the guy did was wrong. You think so? Fair enough, I don't care.
What I say is that the manager wasn't being professional and should be fired. Couldn't care less about the custmer.

How could she have made this quicker? For starters, she could've not aggravated him when he was leaving, which would've cut out the 2 minutes of video we have seen. That's 2 minutes of the line getting longer, and people getting more impatient. As for the remaining 8 minutes, I don't know, since I can't see them.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
She should not be fired. She made a mistake, she acted unprofessional, it happens all the time when your buttons are pushed.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
So... why didn't he just show his ID? I mean. It's not that hard. Maybe he shouldn't have been a shit customer.

However, that doesn't excuse the manager of her less-than-desirable decorum.

Sep 14, 2009
Doom972 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Doom972 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Doom972 said:
Bat Vader said:
Doom972 said:

Again, I'm not arguing whether what the guy did was wrong. You think so? Fair enough, I don't care.
What I say is that the manager wasn't being professional and should be fired. Couldn't care less about the custmer.

How could she have made this quicker? For starters, she could've not aggravated him when he was leaving, which would've cut out the 2 minutes of video we have seen. That's 2 minutes of the line getting longer, and people getting more impatient. As for the remaining 8 minutes, I don't know, since I can't see them.
"couldn't care less about the customer"--that is in direct relation as to why the manager "wasn't being professional", so saying you don't care doesn't cut it, because it is part of the argument/scenario. I heartily feel sorry for anyone who has to work under you in the future if you think that is an offense great enough to fire someone over, I've seen plenty of people make bigger mistakes that didn't get fired, and they went on to be great employees for years to come.

I agree that her last quip when he was leaving wasn't needed, but that also shouldn't have held up the line, the other workers could've continued selling the games to the people in line, while before, when the dude was still in line, it couldn't be handled because he was still part of the line/purchasers waiting(although she could've told him to get his ID and wait to the side/get the back of the fuckin line, either of those probably would've sufficed). So those last 2 minutes were not part of the previous 8 minutes of him being an arrogant douche, but of them personally getting into it with each other.