GameStop Stock surges due to meme traders

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
This suggests that "Subtract everything false and what remains must be Truth" is probably false. Which further implies that there is probably a category of statements which are neither true nor false. And, given some other premises I won't bother enumerating here because they are contingent on history, that that third category of statements is actually in many cases more influential and important than the truth, for good or ill-- and it really can be either good or ill, not just ill.

Reasoning from premises which are neither true nor false is necessary to come up with moral conclusions if argumentative reasoning is to be used at all, as purely factual premises can make no moral claim nor can they by themselves justify a moral conclusion (Hume, 1751 ruthlessly paraphrased). Moral conclusions are in the category of statements which are neither true nor false even though when they are used as premises in deductive or inductive reasoning they typically function as if they were true statements. Statements about the value of an object (X has such and such a value) are neither true nor false if their scope goes beyond what will a particular entity (or group) exchange or how a particular entity regards the object; what a particular entity or collection of entities is willing to exchange for a thing can be a properly factual claim, the subjectivity of which is implied in the statement because particular subjects (those who are willing to make the exchange) are the object of inquiry (what the statement is ultimately about).

Value conceived of as something inherent to an object, event, or whatever else, lacks that anchor to any particular subject or group of subjects and thereby becomes neither true nor false; it can become true or false by appending "I say..." or "They say..." to its front, at which point it is no longer a general statement about the object or event but instead one of an uncountable number of possible statements about how a particular entity or collection of entities regards some object or event.

All of this is to say that there are a large number of very important statements which can (and often should) cause human action (or inaction, as the case may be) which logic and a dispassionate study of reality by themselves are insufficient to justify. The values of things are in that collection.
I will have to take your word for it, that's too dense for me.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Oh they're trying to stop the trading by leaning on some services that offer independent traders to use them

Also AMC theatres have been added to the list of things to help screw over shortsellers.

And now the Whitehouse is monitoring things

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Oh they're trying to stop the trading by leaning on some services that offer independent traders to use them

Also AMC theatres have been added to the list of things to help screw over shortsellers.

And now the Whitehouse is monitoring things

Do they not have anything better to do.

Between poverty, and starvation at home, and abroad, climate change, wars in Yemen, and multiple proxy wars, healthcare, a freaking pandemic, and so fore, this is what they are concerned with.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Do they not have anything better to do.

Between poverty, and starvation at home, and abroad, climate change, wars in Yemen, and multiple proxy wars, healthcare, a freaking pandemic, and so fore, this is what they are concerned with.
Well the news doesn't they're now blaming the action on Trumpism

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Well the news doesn't they're now blaming the action on Trumpism

Fuck the libs. You morons wouldn’t listen when we told you these guys would storm the houses of power and now you’re using their threats to defend fucking hedge funds.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I can't comment on the legal aspect of this because it's outside of my bailiwick.

I can, however, state with confidence that this is funny. Yes, a lot of people are going to get burned on this when the bubble pops. A lot of people. But it's still funny that a bunch of madlads can do this.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I can't comment on the legal aspect of this because it's outside of my bailiwick.

I can, however, state with confidence that this is funny. Yes, a lot of people are going to get burned on this when the bubble pops. A lot of people. But it's still funny that a bunch of madlads can do this.
If it means a few hedge funds fold then I’ll be happy.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Morally I'm fine with this. I think it's a shame that people's pension funds will suffer, but I think it's a shame that people bet on companies failing then try to make them fail. No lessons will be learned here that don't involve screwing 'the little guy'.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I just learned about this. This is kinda funny, I wonder if it will break Gamestop though.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Morally I'm fine with this. I think it's a shame that people's pension funds will suffer, but I think it's a shame that people bet on companies failing then try to make them fail. No lessons will be learned here that don't involve screwing 'the little guy'.
Do pension funds actually short-sell? I didn't think so, as short-selling is a profoundly risky practice that can easily result in losing more money than you put in, potentially quite a lot more. Apart from that possibility, I don't see how this is particularly threatening to pension funds compared to normal market volatility.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Do pension funds actually short-sell? I didn't think so, as short-selling is a profoundly risky practice that can easily result in losing more money than you put in, potentially quite a lot more. Apart from that possibility, I don't see how this is particularly threatening to pension funds compared to normal market volatility.
I will take your word for it because it's not something I know much about and I think you probably do.

So slightly more morally fine with it, if anything.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I will take your word for it because it's not something I know much about and I think you probably do.

So slightly more morally fine with it, if anything.
I'd hasten to add that it could be quite threatening, I just don't know particularly how.

That being said, it's about time the little people destroyed the stock market by whatever means are available.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
It is infuriating that the powers that be had to step in to regulate the so-called "free market" as soon as the little guy dared to make money that "naturally belongs" to the rich. Fuck Wall Street, fuck the SEC and fuck the US Government.