GameStop Sued Over "Deceptive" Used Game Sales

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Look, I hate Gamestop just as much as anyone else, but this is a bit much.

They don't need to get sued over this. It's not their fault.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
How much is he suing for? That is the fundamental point. If its for the price of a full, new retail version of Dragon Age, thats fine; he's stupid but still in the right, technically.

However, if the greedy bastard wants anymore than that then...well let him enjoy his legal fees, he doesn't have a leg to stand on legally; outside of claiming a refund.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Davrel said:
How much is he suing for? That is the fundamental point. If its for the price of a full, new retail version of Dragon Age, thats fine; he's stupid but still in the right, technically.

However, if the greedy bastard wants anymore than that then...well let him enjoy his legal fees, he doesn't have a leg to stand on legally; outside of claiming a refund.
Actually, all he should be suing for is the price of the DLC, as that is what he was unable to access. By all accounts, he was able to access the game itself just fine, it was the "free" DLC he missed out on. So, yeah, $15. Totally worth the legal fees.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
HG131 said:
dragontiers said:
Davrel said:

Actually, all he should be suing for is the price of the DLC, as that is what he was unable to access. By all accounts, he was able to access the game itself just fine, it was the "free" DLC he missed out on. So, yeah, $15. Totally worth the legal fees.
Well, the suit is stupid, but he could sue for the Legal Fees and "Pain and Suffering" AKA I Want More Money.
The legal fees I'll give you, as that's pretty standard for a lawsuit. But "Pain and Suffering"? What pain? What suffering? No injury was involved, nothing impeded his ability to play the base game, he wasn't subjected to any form of humiliation because he was unable to access the DLC. I see no reason for a judge to award "Feel sorry for me money", wait I mean "Pain & Suffering".

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Shapoolaman said:
thebobmaster said:
Shapoolaman said:
MetalDooley said:
Surely there's no case here?It says on the packaging that the free DLC is only for new purchases so how can this possibly be Gamestop's fault?Cheapskate should have just forked out the extra $5 and bought it new
The weird thing is that it isn't cheap to hire a lawyer or bring a case to court. This guy was really determined to make a quick buck, just like the person who sued McDonalds over hot coffee. Its ridiculous. This world is insane.[/quote

Why, oh why, do people always bring up Stella Leinbeck? She had solid grounds for her case. For more information, here's a link: http://www.caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts
Why do we bring her up? Because she was in idiot! I read your link and still stand by my verdict. Its hot coffee, I don't care what temperature it's served at, it will burn. Don't be stupid, don't be clumsy, and don't bring it to court. Deal with it and get some aloe lotion!
Shapoolaman said:
thebobmaster said:
Shapoolaman said:
MetalDooley said:
Surely there's no case here?It says on the packaging that the free DLC is only for new purchases so how can this possibly be Gamestop's fault?Cheapskate should have just forked out the extra $5 and bought it new
The weird thing is that it isn't cheap to hire a lawyer or bring a case to court. This guy was really determined to make a quick buck, just like the person who sued McDonalds over hot coffee. Its ridiculous. This world is insane.
Why, oh why, do people always bring up Stella Leinbeck? She had solid grounds for her case. For more information, here's a link: http://www.caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts
Why do we bring her up? Because she was in idiot! I read your link and still stand by my verdict. Its hot coffee, I don't care what temperature it's served at, it will burn. Don't be stupid, don't be clumsy, and don't bring it to court. Deal with it and get some aloe lotion!
From the link you didn't bother to read.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultant's advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Further, McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185 degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that a burn hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above, and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat. The quality assurance manager admitted that burns would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing the "holding temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiff's expert, a scholar in thermodynamics as applied to human skin burns, testified that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds.

Next time read the links and you won't look like an idiot.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
dragontiers said:
Davrel said:

This is true - but the guy is clearly a Grade-A bellend of awe-inspiring proportions so, ~£30 (or whatever the US equiv is) is worth it just to get him to shut it.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
James Cassidy said:
I hate gamestop because they screwed me out of a lot of things. They keep forgetting to give me my code when I pre-order from them. They didn't so this just once. They have done it several times to me.

I also think it is bullshit that gamespot buys games from you saying "Oh we will give you $5 for it" only to turn around and sell it for $40 more.
How dare they make a profit from lazy people who don't want to sell it for more on Ebay!

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Davrel said:
dragontiers said:
Davrel said:

This is true - but the guy is clearly a Grade-A bellend of awe-inspiring proportions so, ~£30 (or whatever the US equiv is) is worth it just to get him to shut it.
Actually, 20 dollars or more is the requirements for small claims court, so he couldn't sue over 15 dollars.. At least he was smart in THAT case.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I don't think the issue is really that they lied about it and he didn't get his DLC for free.

It's that they're selling a product that's clearly worth at most 45 dollars for 55 dollars. I saw that at my EB games, and I KNEW that someone was going to have a problem with that.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
HG131 said:
Xanadu84 said:
It's "deceitful" because in their store, they were selling a product that clearly states on the front that the game they were buying had something that it did not have, and charged them for it. Of course, I suppose its not exactly deceitful since they almost definitely did not realize the problem. But that's not the customers fault. Yes, any of us well informed gamers would put 2 and 2 together and realize that something was off. But to a person who just happens to play a few video games here and there, they have likely never logged on to a game news site, and read an article on Project $10. They probably assumed that the game contained what the box said, instead of piecing together Gamestops pricing scheme together with the publishers recent marketing strategy. It's not a strange mistake to make, I will bet that the vast majority of gamers would make a similar one. What should have happened is that when the game was brought back, past deadline or no, GS would realized that the pricing error was there fault, and given the guy his 10 bucks. That's just decent customer service. If sueing is what it takes for GS to realize there mistake and charge the correct price, hey, I'm fine with that.
So they can't sell a game because the publisher puts something on a box? It IS the customers fault that he didn't read. I'm all for putting regulations on corporations and keeping them on a tighter leash, but we can't punish them for him not reading the box. I don't like the asterisk practice, but it wasn't falsely sold. It should have been bigger, sure, but at what point do we look at someone, slap them on the head and say "You're a moron."?
I disagree, the customer is not a moron. You forget that you are likely much more well informed then the average, casual video game player, and are assuming that you can reasonably require even the most casual consumer to know the same breadth of video game marketing knowledge that you do. It is not unreasonable to assume that a box being sold to you contains the things that are advertised on the box. The asterisk is immaterial. Yes, it said that it included a code that can be redeemed for DLC. The fact remains that the consumer was told that there was a code that can be redeemed for the DLC AND THERE WAS NO SUCH CODE, AS ADVERTISED (Emphasis, not yelling there). From the average consumers perspective, one who does not read a bunch of gaming sites paying attention to certain publishers new marketing strategies, it's not unreasonable to assume that the code can be used multiple times if it has gone back through gamestop, that a new code will be given for that particular sale, that the DLC is already linked to the account, and quite possibly, and they may not even be aware that the game is used in the first place. In fact, though I would be knowledgeable enough to ask, I might assume that I could access the DLC through this copy considering the fact that they are falsely charging you for the DLC. GS is definitely to blame here, because if they were at all competent, they could have avoided this in the first place. They could have charged the correct price, they could have put a sticker over the part that said that you would get the DLC, or they could have just told the customer when they went to buy it that the DLC wasn't availible. They also could have admitted to a mistake, and given the guy back his 10 extra bucks.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
You know, when I was considering buying Dragon Age, and saw the blurb about the free DLC, and the little asterisk, I immediately scanned the case and read the restrictions on it. I bought it anyway, new, but it seems like it would be common practice to actually read the back of a box before making a purchase. It's not like an EULA where it's 7 pages long, it's a paragraph. The dumbass should have his lawsuit thrown out of court on account of the plaintiff being a dumbass and suing over $10. I don't think that's something even a small claims court would hear, the judge would probably hand you $10 and tell you to kindly fuck off so he can get on with important matters. And honestly, what's the point of buying used if you only save $5 off the new price? You have no idea what kind of problems you'll have with it, if the previous owner left some dorito crumbs in the drive and scratched the hell out of it. The only time I buy used is if the game is no longer being produced, or it's been years since it came out and it's down to $20 so the risk of it being crap is reduced.

And it's not false advertising, or misrepresentation. The box itself said it was a one time use code on new purchases. Just because you don't read the fine print doesn't mean it doesn't apply to you.