GameStop Turns Off the Light on the DS Lite

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
GameStop Turns Off the Light on the DS Lite

GameStop will no longer be selling the venerable DS Lite once it runs through all units in stock.

Nintendo's DS is arguably the most successful videogame platform of all time, but it wasn't until the first revision - the DS Lite - that it really hit its stride. The Lite removed the bulk from the original DS, gave it a brighter, more vibrant screen, and was in general provided a significantly more pleasant experience than its full-sized big brother. In fact, even after the advent of the DSi and DSi XL (my personal DS of choice), many still swore by their trusty old DS Lite.

Well, gamers looking to pick up a DS Lite may not have the option for much longer. An internal GameStop memo obtained by Engadget [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=156354].

While kind of sad, it's not surprising that the DS Lite has reached the end of its retail lifespan. In fact, what is surprising is that it took this long. The DS Lite has seen no less than three successors in the DS family hit shelves - the DSi, DSi XL, and most recently the 3DS - and it's a wonder GameStop didn't pull the plug sooner.

It just reflects the handheld's popularity, I suppose.

(Engadget [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=156354])

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I don't know why their stopping it, the GBA slot is far too valuble for me to give up, I've still got my Phat Ass Original DS from 2004 because of the GBA slot, (where my cartridge actually fits ^^) as I need it for the pokeymans from 3rd gen games, and the extra content on Megaman ZX. Plus some people play guitar hero on tour or something...

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Maybe if they hadn't ditched backwards capability with GBA titles then this would have been okay news. If they tried to pull this crap here ... (D)

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
I still have my DS Lite and have no intention of upgrading any time soon. It does what I want it to and more. I have no need of the extra features introduced in the DSi's or the 3DS. I don't use the GBA slot as much as some people do, but it's a nice option to have. Perhaps I'll feel like sticking in Golden Sun: The Lost Age or Banjo Kazooie for a bit. It's a nice feeling to dig through all my old GBA games and remember the fun I had with each one of them.

No, I wont be getting rid of my DS Lite for quite a while yet.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm on my 2nd ds lite and I'm probably going to get a dsi xl before I get a 3ds. It is IMO the best system, the best form factor, and had the most fun games.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Thats kind of sad I really enjoyed my DS lite for the three years until I upgraded to the DSi XL which is about to be replaced with the 3DS.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
well thats sad, although inever got one (im still on the original DS!) i may end up getting one now before the shops run dry

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I'm starting to think that it's about my time to get one, Amazon is better anyways...

Cougies

Jun 30, 2008
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Well, since I don't shop at Gameshit anymore, this doesn't effect me. :D
Just to let you know mate, I don't think that Gamestop made the choice for no longer stocking the DS Lite. It would be a choice from Nintendo. I don't know about over in the states, but here in Australia, there hasn't been any form of deals offered on the DS Lite since the DSiXL came out.

On the same token though it shouldn't affect anyone. If you were that die-hard when it come to retro GBA games, then you would have gotten one by now, otherwise it's pretty much a useless slot which Nintendo haven't put in 3 more generations of portal gaming units.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
But will they be price dropping the DSi's to make up for it? Doubtful

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
I think people are underestimating the number of ds lights gamestop has. I am willing to bet they have more ds lights than 360's, ps3s and ps2s combined. Every time nintendo has brought out a new iteration of the ds gamestop has been there offering to knock a chunk of change off the price for a ds light. trust me when i say gamestop will have ds lights for a very long time.

rembrandtqeinstein said:
I'm on my 2nd ds lite and I'm probably going to get a dsi xl before I get a 3ds. It is IMO the best system, the best form factor, and had the most fun games.
This. im technically on my second ds light as well and its been a damn good time. I have a small sack with 50 some ds games in it and the amount of fun ive had with those games far surpasses the amount ive had with my 360. I still have a good ten ds games to buy before I pack up and upgrade.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
Sad to hear. I love my DS Lite. My sister still uses hers to play her DS games, since apparently DS games have bad resolution when played on the 3DS. So she says, anyways; I haven't got the money for a 3DS, and there aren't any games out right now that I want.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I need a new DS Lite.

The hinge on my Lite is cracked, and now the screen now longer locks in place. The screen just...flops.

Maybe I'll just get a Phat DS again.

Sanglyon

Apr 3, 2009
Still playing on my trusty DS Lite. Maybe I'll get a DSi XL before they pull the plug on those too. But I'm not going to buy a 3DS anytime soon, I don''t care about 3D and the screen definition is crap. It'll be NGP for me.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
I've just about sold my entire gba library and can play them all I want thanks to the computer! Are they still selling gba's?
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Well, since I don't shop at Gameshit anymore, this doesn't effect me. :D
Out of curiosity, where do you shop?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
elvor0 said:
I don't know why their stopping it, the GBA slot is far too valuble for me to give up, I've still got my Phat Ass Original DS from 2004 because of the GBA slot, (where my cartridge actually fits ^^) as I need it for the pokeymans from 3rd gen games, and the extra content on Megaman ZX. Plus some people play guitar hero on tour or something...
I own a 3DS and am actually looking into getting an additional DS Lite for the GBA slot as I want to get into the GBA Pokèmon games.

Seriously, I had an XL and they couldn't put a GBA slot in a handheld that freaking big?!

GunstarHero

Mar 19, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I have have to ask.. Did the first one break? If so, how the hell did you manage that? I'm fairly sure modern combat jackets are made from a number of DS consoles, since they're invulnerable to any human-inflictable damage.