Gaming Cardinal Sins

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Thou shalt not completely attire all thy attractive women.

Thou shalt not release new armours into thy MMO without first ensuring that it doesn't clip the cutest hair.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
"thou shalt not put all the cool stuff on sale right after my console explodes."

granted that one is more of a personal problem but still highly irritating

"thou shalt not randomly reposition the cammera for no reason."

lookin at you DMC.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Game: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Cardinal Sin: Though shalt not make your block button the same as your attack button

Holy balls is this annoying. In order to attack bad guys, you press the X button to light slash. In order to block something, you wait until it shows an attack is incoming, then you press towards your enemy and click X. If Kojima gives his blessing, you block. If not, you slash at the enemy before getting *****-slapped by whatever attack you wanted to block.
I thought the parrying system was really good. Instead of being able to hide behind a block button, you have to actively parry the attacks. Even your dodge move is actually an attack, so there's not really any purely defensive moves in the game. It gave the combat a very active and aggressive feel. I liked that a lot, and in fact, if I were describing the game to someone, the parrying system would be something I would specifically highlight as a great feature.

I didn't have any problems with the system once I had figured out how it works. Both the direction and the timing are pretty forgiving unless you are trying to get a counterattack. (Although, I do realise that telling you I had no problems doesn't help you in any way.)

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
Lots of games commit this sin, but I'll go with a recent game - I got Sniper Elite: V2 for free on that giveaway a little while ago.

Thou shalt not have shitty stealth sections when thy gameplay does not support it.
I was going to add just this sin regarding sniper elite 3. My gosh the stealth in this game is stupidly implemented.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Thou shalt not reassign the analogue sticks from their respective default purposes (left for movement, right for POV/camera).

It's easy enough to learn what each button does but moving around and seeing what you're doing has no reason to ever change. It's confusing for the sheer sake of it.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Game: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Cardinal Sin: Though shalt not make your block button the same as your attack button
yep... that's the one.
how about Assassin's Creed series
Don't make the stealth assassinate button the same as the swing your fist like a mof button

Don't make the "walk just a little bit faster through the crowd so as not to draw attention to your self" button the same as the "stick your hand up someone's asshole in the vein attempt to steal 4 cents from them when you already have way more money than you could spend in a million years" button

Don't make the Fall off the edge like a doofus button the same as the jump to another ledge button

Don't make the catch the fucking ledge button the same as the drop off the fucking ledge button

Don't make it so the counter command doesn't do anything unless you've already been hit once for no reason.

As much as I love the Assassin's Creed series it has really shitty controls.

OR Mass Effect 3
Don't put 6 different commands on the same button!
Or Thou shalt not make Mass Effect 3. there I saved you like 2 hours of me ranting about ME3

Borderlands 2 (Or any game with audio logs that you pick up mid combat)
Thou shalt MUTE THE COMBAT SOUNDS so we can listen to the audio logs.

Thou shalt have better legendary drop rates in the Pre-sequel

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Don't use button combinations for save file deletion. Don't make everyone play a game of Twister with our fingers because a small minority of idiots accidentally delete their save file.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
It is an easy system to use. It is also a very reliable system that works 92% of the time. However, it's still a system that shouldn't be in there. The 8% of the time when it does not work can cost you. I've never been flat-out killed by a failed block but you lose points for it (damn you S rating!!!!) and it's put me in some sticky situations where I went from "a little bit of health" to "getting sneezed on is going to kill you cyborg".

I am still loving this game though (Super Happy Cyborg Ninja GO! Team is going to be one of my go-to games when people complain that there's no original ideas in gaming); I can hate the sin without hating the sinner.
Unless its different on Revengeance difficulty a block still negates all damage unless you have tried to parry unblockable attacks.
Vivi22 said:
And compensating for something being awful by making it really easy to do and still blocking even if you fail doesn't mean it isn't a sin. It means they recognized there was a problem but instead of actually fixing it they just polished that turd to a mirror shine. Which actually makes it even worse in my eyes.
Recognizing problem would have been adding a block button that is just as effective as parrying. Most games that have a similar system make dodging active and blocking passive so a block is perfect when done correctly but give leeway if late. MGR wants you to be more active so the leeway is early so it punishes being passive, not compensating for a broken system.
Llil said:
I thought the parrying system was really good. Instead of being able to hide behind a block button, you have to actively parry the attacks. Even your dodge move is actually an attack, so there's not really any purely defensive moves in the game. It gave the combat a very active and aggressive feel. I liked that a lot, and in fact, if I were describing the game to someone, the parrying system would be something I would specifically highlight as a great feature.

I didn't have any problems with the system once I had figured out how it works. Both the direction and the timing are pretty forgiving unless you are trying to get a counterattack. (Although, I do realise that telling you I had no problems doesn't help you in any way.)
Exactly This.

I suggest for that 8% of the time you check to see if the attack is unblockeabe (glows orange) because I know I went through the game many times before I learned that.

For another Sin of Mine: Easy AI should be easy
I recently Picked up Tekken 4 because I wanted a new fighting game but I completely suck at them and Tekken is button mash friendly. Now I have a bit of skill so I can pull off some combos and moves but I can not go above easy in fighting games. Now Easy should be easy, and easy is not having the AI chain combo your ass to a KO.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I'm giving this one to Dark Souls which has recently gotten my attention.

Dark Souls
Cardinal Sin: Thou shalt not pause without stopping thy gameplay

I know it's trying to stop you from stopping mid combat to pull a bow out of your arse, but believe it or not, Dark Souls, I have a life and I occasionally need to go and do things quickly or talk to someone and while I want to do that, I have to accept that I am going to die. A pause button isn't cheating, it's letting me check on my dinner.

al4674

May 27, 2011
1. Thou shalt not have unskippable cutscenes.
2. Thous shalt not have ridiculously long killing/death animations that can't be skipped.
3. Thou shalt not force the player to mindlessly grind in order to progress in the main story.
4. Thou shalt not have more cutscenes than actual gameplay.
5. Thou shalt not exercise trial-and-error gameplay, where error results in instant death (unless the game is centered on this mechanic).
6. Not allowing the player to make custom saves that do not update. Games that exclusively use autosave (like the arkham games) disallow the player to quickly replay segments they liked. Sometimes I just want to fight bosses - in revengeance I can't do that. I always have to replay the game if I want to fight bosses.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Bofus Teefus said:
Thou shalt not use pressure on the thumb-sticks for disruptive functions!

While I've played a game recently where this was a nuisance, the game that comes to mind is Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. On PS3, L3 causes you to transform. If you're a spaz like me, and press a bit harder on the thumb-sticks while maneuvering in intense situations, then you will, like me, transform into a toaster or whatever rather than continue to aim and shoot.
Oh yes. I've run into this in two fighting games from Arc Systems. In Blazblue, pressing the stick causes you to attempt a grab, which is mildly annoying when it interrupts the flow of what you're doing, but in Persona 4 Arena, it makes you use your burst attack. For those unfamiliar, you only have one of those, so wasting it by accidentally pressing the stick too hard is very annoying.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
If thy save system is entirely restricted to auto-saves/checkpoints then thy (thou-est?) save system had best fucking work reliably; i.e. actually save the game state properly.

For example if there's a checkpoint right before a boss fight and I get 1/2 through the boss fight but then die and am forced to go back to the auto-save I should still have the items that I used in my previous and futile attempt. 'Amy' fucks variations of this up constantly (thanks weapon degradation!) and I believe, though I haven't played, 'Dead Rising' manages similar shenanigans. I also feel that I kind of need to mention Mega Man games for, if you used them during the fight, usually forcing you to leave the area to refill E-Tanks which is just (usually) needless busy work.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Here are my contributions to quick-time sins:
Thou shalt not have instant death quicktime events in games where you have a life bar.
(It feels off-putting when you can manage your health well, but then die because you forgot to push X).

Thou shalt not substitute quicktime events for a boss fight.
(Especially sinful, if it's the final boss).

Thou shalt make quick time event icons easy to notice on the screen.
(Nothing is cheaper than dying from a quicktime event indicator that blends in with the background... Witcher.)

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Racecarlock said:
Thou shalt not make me clean toilets.

Mafia II, go fuck yourself.

And don't anybody tell me that "Oh the story was good". I played the thing. The plot was ripped from GTA III and GTA IV at the same time and the characters were all ripped from the big book of mafia movie cliches and the gameplay was either generic better than usual cover shooting or slowly driving across town or boring chores or shitty stealth sections.

Assassin's creed IV, you're awesome. But I'd like more steal ships as a pirate missions and less slowly following dudes around while avoiding 97 guards who happen to be in the same area.
The Mafia series was always about being very faithful to the movies it takes inspiration from. The tedious and mundane scenes were meant to make the "Mafia arc(TM)" more apparent. (The same rags to riches story every mafia movie basically is.) They were there for the niche who really love the "genre", to add to the theme.

Doesnt excuse defend the gunplay/driving though, it is a mixed bag.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Thou shalt not restrict one's carrying capacity if it does not affect the game's difficulty.
(Justifiable if it prevents the hoarding of useful items, but not if it only creates more work for the player).

Thou shalt not force action into puzzle games, and thou shalt not force puzzles into action games (unless the game is a hybrid of the two).

Thou shalt not release a game without playtesting it.
(An obvious sin).

Thou shalt not force a player to repeatedly traverse the same level or repeatedly fight the same boss numerous times.
(We can tell when you're trying to artificially pad a game. You can stop trying).

Thou shalt not be dishonest with thy consumer.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Thou shalt not backtrack without giving some kind of change to the level.

Take a look at Halo: Combat Evolved. With few exceptions (343 Guilty Spark can go fuck itself in the last section), every time you backtrack you either go to a different objective or the environment has been tweaked, or you've been given access to something.

Assault of the Control comes back, but now you get to fly in Banshees and blow shit up while Covenant and Flood forces kill each over.
You reboard the Truth and Reconciliation, but enter from a different area and you even go back to the hangar bay thing only to have it blown up in your face, and lots of the walls and enemies have changed.
You reboard the Pillar of Autumn, but half the level is completely new and even the bits you redo have been destroyed or filled with different types of enemies.

That is how you backtrack, not just "oh you've done this, walk back oh shit enemies are there" that Uncharted 2 and Gears of War frequent.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Thou shalt not have out of place stealth sections:

Stealth works in Far Cry and Crysis because the systems are there to consistently make it an option. It works (sometimes) in Zelda because it is treated as just a puzzle among the various other puzzles the game is built around. However, so many games just tack it on for no real reason. For instance, Mafia II had a button dedicated to stealth mode, yet it was useless for 97% of the game and had no other systems designed to support it.

The absolute worst case, though, has got to be Witcher 2. Stealth is never an option. Oh, some optional paths may be stealth paths, but it is never worked into the system for the player as an option to overcome challenges presented in the world. If the player gets to a stealth section, then they just go into "stealth mode" by the game's choice. Just like Mafia II, there are no systems designed to aid this other than the most basic of mechanics, which do not on their own make a good stealth system. What's worse is that unlike the rest of the game which is designed to be semi-open, stealth sections are often incredibly rigid and do nothing but highlight the developer's complete incompetence at level design and direction. What's worse is that for all the time they make you learn stealth and bear with it, it maybe accounts for 1-2% of the game. Would it have killed them to remove the stealth system? It certainly wasn't a high priority and served only as an occasional yet serious annoyance at best.