Gaming Couples

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
My girlfriend likes the same games as me, but gets VERY competitive. She won't play a game if I beat it before she does. Doesn't help that I've got MUCH more spatial awareness, which translates to video game superiority. Got her a PSP, with God of War Chains of Olympus. I was at her place and beat the game, now she won't touch it.
Otherwise, she's cool. She'd play DDO with me if her internet connection could handle it.

EDIT: just to make you all even more mad, Link isn't the only one with a Master Sword she likes to play with, if you catch my drift.

U jelly?

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Well both Myself and my girlfriend are both fanatic gamers, usually playing games like Red Dead Redemption, Little Big Planet and RE5 together, tho I'll usually just watch when she played RDR, since I've played the hell out of it.

As for good multiplayer games for you and a spouse, I'd totally recommend LBP (can't wait for LBP2!), RE5 and most other splitscreen co-op games.

My gf is actually buying her own PS3 next week on my day off, so I'm gonna go buy it with her, then we're gonna take it back to my house, rent RDR, plug it into my LAN network and wheel in my tv into the loungeroom and play online together all day. :D

I know how excessive that sounds, but goddamnit, RDR is our favorite game and I'll be damned if we're just going to let this opportunity pass us by! XD

EDIT: Gah! totally forgot Castle Crashers, Worms 2 Armageddon and Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars! All awesome games we love to play together!

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Swny Nerdgasm said:
My girlfriend loves the Assassin's Creed series, though we usually don't play together, cause whenever I try to play she distracts me and takes the controller.
My girlfriend is that same.
If you can find a hetero girl who doesn't go jelly-legged over Ezio then I'll pay you $50.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Mr Inconsistent said:
Imp Poster said:
I envy this. I can't find a girl gamer I am attracted to.
man i agree, my gf and me now usually play some old rts games like age of empires 2
problem is she never really got into gaming as a whole, so it's usually me who tells her 'hey, lets go play this game', kinda gives me the feeling she plays it for me, instead of for the sake of playing it, but ah well, we have fun, thats waht its all about anyway.
That's a bit of a shame man, since we both know there's nothing better than the feeling you get from introducing someone you care about to games and them loving it.

I felt the same way about my gf's gaming, until I came out of the shower one arvo to hear "Gah you fucker, Imma shotgun you good!" from down the hall. The source was my gf playing a TDM in Red Dead and it was at that very moment that my heart fluttered with love.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
captaincabbage said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
My girlfriend loves the Assassin's Creed series, though we usually don't play together, cause whenever I try to play she distracts me and takes the controller.
My girlfriend is that same.
If you can find a hetero girl who doesn't go jelly-legged over Ezio then I'll pay you $50.

Dude I am hetero and I have a raging man crush on Ezio

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
FieryTrainwreck said:
Sir John the Net Knight said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
I know that guy flew off the handle on the first page, and everyone's like "what the fuck, bro?", but I completely empathize with him right now. Seeing a thread full of people who happily game with, and likely sex, their significant others on a regular basis fills me with a powerful urge to carpet bomb an orphanage.

On a semi-related note, some dude wearing skinny jeans was complaining about something or other at work yesterday, and all I could think was "Fuck you. Some of us have the exact same problems plus we can't fit into those fucking jeans, so go fuck yourself." It's been a good week.
Some of us are social isolates, for whom gaming used to be a safe haven hobby to hide from all the people who made us feel endlessly inferior. Most of us who gamed were ostracized people who didn't fit in with the jocks, preppies, stoners or anyone else who had "friends".

So you can see why some of us are a little uneasy about socially competent people flocking to our hobby.
I was commiserating.

The really depressing part is that a girl who games is basically +2-3 leagues. Seeing as I'm already down around the 2-3 range, netting a gamer would have me dating a 0 or a 1. That's bridge troll territory.

I'm just kidding sorta.
It's late I should be in bed rather then trying to give advice. However, The key thing for anyone who is having problems or feeling down over the lack of a mate(or anything really) is to focus on their confidence. I know easier said then done right? But it really does work; All the way up to around the end of middle school I let the feelings of being the only deaf person in town get me down.

The only outside contact I had was in school or when I went out jogging, other then that I would stay inside hiding away. However once I got over the idea that I was handicapped or,"broken" when going into high school. I found not only was I no longer ashamed of who I was but that overall most people were interested in who I was as well or curious at the least. This type of thinking has now carried me all the way into my junior year of college and even recently got married to a man who looked past the issues others would see.

So in short, just try and not let yourself get you down. If others have a problem then it is their own issues not yours. Lift your head up and somewhere,sometime something good has to happen. And if nothing else it lets the douche bags of the world know they can't get to you.

Mr Inconsistent

Mar 29, 2009
captaincabbage said:
Mr Inconsistent said:
Imp Poster said:
man i agree, my gf and me now usually play some old rts games like age of empires 2
problem is she never really got into gaming as a whole, so it's usually me who tells her 'hey, lets go play this game', kinda gives me the feeling she plays it for me, instead of for the sake of playing it, but ah well, we have fun, thats waht its all about anyway.
That's a bit of a shame man, since we both know there's nothing better than the feeling you get from introducing someone you care about to games and them loving it.

I felt the same way about my gf's gaming, until I came out of the shower one arvo to hear "Gah you fucker, Imma shotgun you good!" from down the hall. The source was my gf playing a TDM in Red Dead and it was at that very moment that my heart fluttered with love.
That is a beautiful story my friend, the mental image is a lot better than any scene from any romantic comedy in the last decade

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Rock said:
I know a lot of people talk about how to get their significant other to accept their gaming habits, but I wonder how many of you guys out there actually have the other participate?
Unfortunaly the problem isn't getting them to play, its more of...they suck at it :(

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, we play MMOs together, and he's also had me playing Borderlands with him.

Usually though, even if we're not playing the same game, our gaming habits are intertwined.
For example, he was playing Left4Dead2 (which isn't my kind of thing) online with a mate while I was playing The Sims 2 (I know, I know) and we were still totally involved in what the other was doing.

Edit: Come to think of it, we play beat 'em ups too. He spends most of his time complaining that I'm going easy on him.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
EHKOS said:
Unfortunaly the problem isn't getting them to play, its more of...they suck at it :(
This. Definitely this. I know several gaming girls, who are attractive, who are nice, and has pretty much everything else that would make me consider them a great girlfriend, but they really are terrible at games, even if they play them a lot :(

Avery Morris

Nov 3, 2010
My friend likes to play halo, I'm learning how but I'm not very good. I do enjoy watching her play though she's really good at it.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Mr Inconsistent said:
captaincabbage said:
Mr Inconsistent said:
Imp Poster said:

That is a beautiful story my friend, the mental image is a lot better than any scene from any romantic comedy in the last decade
It's a lot less romantic when I include the fact that I was naked and hairy. :D

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Chiasm said:
The key thing for anyone who is having problems or feeling down over the lack of a mate(or anything really) is to focus on their confidence.
Confidence without cause seems a fine definition for insanity.