Gaming Journalists Make No Damn Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I liked LiS. I didn't think there was anything progressive at all about it.
Sure there wasn't. You playing a non-sexualized girl who is either gay or bi since she harbors a crush on her blue-haired, beanie-wearing, anti-establishment, lesbian best friend totally isn't progressive or "woke".
I don't remember seeing any "outrage" about the game, as opposed to, say, the big lesbian kiss trailer in TLoU2
Probably because LiS wasn't a zombie apocalypse action game previously starring a gruff, bearded manly man... who was straight.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Sure there wasn't. You playing a non-sexualized girl who is either gay or bi since she harbors a crush on her blue-haired, beanie-wearing, anti-establishment, lesbian best friend totally isn't progressive or "woke".
If you think that Max is gay or bi, then that's just projection. AFAIK, in the course of the game, it's never stated or implied that she has a church on Chloe.

Probably because LiS wasn't a zombie apocalypse action game previously starring a gruff, bearded manly man... who was straight.
Exactly. Companies should be making new IPs instead of shoving progressiveness inside the 3rd, or 4th game in the series. All that'll do is alienate the existing audience. Build up your own audience if you're so confident in your progressive ideas.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Exactly. Companies should be making new IPs instead of shoving progressiveness inside the 3rd, or 4th game in the series. All that'll do is alienate the existing audience. Build up your own audience if you're so confident in your progressive ideas.
One of the characters(the guy living in the church) in TLOU was implied to be gay. The DLC established Ellie was as well.

Hardly 3rd or 4th entries.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I don't think it's possible to think less of gamers than the hardcore gamer crowd already do.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If you think that Max is gay or bi, then that's just projection. AFAIK, in the course of the game, it's never stated or implied that she has a church on Chloe.
Pffffft, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

Correction, it was the second game. And it was revealed in the DLC of the first game. Also Bill was gay in the first game, so what in god's holy name are you trying to shovel?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
One of the characters(the guy living in the church) in TLOU was implied to be gay. The DLC established Ellie was as well.

Hardly 3rd or 4th entries.
And nobody complained about Bill being gay, also no, the DLC did not establish that Ellie was gay. An underaged war-torn orphan kissing another underage war-torn orphan because they're never going to see each-other again is evidence of trauma moreso than evidence of sexuality.

Pffffft, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!
Does this mean you're conceding the point since you have no rebuttal?

Also, see above

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And nobody complained about Bill being gay, also no, the DLC did not establish that Ellie was gay. An underaged war-torn orphan kissing another underage war-torn orphan because they're never going to see each-other again is evidence of trauma moreso than evidence of sexuality.

Does this mean you're conceding the point since you have no rebuttal?

Also, see above
Wow dude, just seriously, fucking WOW!

Oh hey, you might wanna actually check that scene, because they don't kiss until Riley decides not to join the Fireflies and stay with Ellie. Go ahead, I'll wait.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
, the DLC did not establish that Ellie was gay.
I mean since Ellie did end up being gay, the implication behind the DLC was to show that she was gay. I see the argument why it wouldn't necessarily be the case, but since she is a gay character as proven later, then the DLC does serve as the origins for that.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Please do not insult other users

Let Tony Stark refute you on why that doesn't work. Think of Pillinger as the esteemed indie devs who make these thought provoking progressive titles like Gone Home and Sunset, actual Sunlight and other indie game and Tony Stark being EA and the Big Six

1558912082241.jpg

Indie games don't make as much an impact as a dudebro shooter devs thinking the old boys club of manly testosterone muscle men killing one another should allow for female soldiers to participate in the setting. Or having gay and nonbinary characters proper into the series like Gibraltar and Bloodhound from Apex Legends, devs could have sat contently and ignore the shrill complaints of people like CasualShinji, Avnger and Gethsemane,.

But they chose to listen and do the best a big company can and is constantly trying to improve in spite of complaints from Chuds like you and iron.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh hey, you might wanna actually check that scene, because they don't kiss until Riley decides not to join the Fireflies and stay with Ellie. Go ahead, I'll wait.
Okay then, it's evidence of abandonment issues between underage war-torn orphans.

Whatever happened to the notion that children don't actually know everything there is to know about themselves?

I mean since Ellie did end up being gay, the implication behind the DLC was to show that she was gay. I see the argument why it wouldn't necessarily be the case, but since she is a gay character as proven later, then the DLC does serve as the origins for that.
You can say that she's gay now, but I'm not going to retroactively say that she was always written to be gay, as if the writers had consciously thought that far ahead.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also Bill was gay in the first game
Bill is a good example of how you can do inclusion without hammering it in. IMO sexuality of a character really only matters if the story involves romantic arcs. Otherwise the sexuality can be used kind as a passive "oh hey this character is gay btw." But it's meaningless if they have no relationships in the story.

Bill is kind of revealed to be gay almost passively, it adds a bit to his backstory but otherwise doesn't define him as a character.

To me a badly written character is when their only defining charactization is superficial. When being LBGT is the only thing that defines them, as opposed to their motivations, conflicts, and overall arch (if it exists).

There are a few other characters that are done in a similar fashion to BIll that i can't 100% recall right now. But Tanis from Boarderlands is one. During conversations or audio logs she reveals that her lover is killed during one of her scientific outings, but it isn't a relationship that the character solely relies on. Tanis is a talented, crazy but brilliant science lady in the series and her lesbianism is just flavor on top of a funny and well done character.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
But they chose to listen and do the best a big company can and is constantly trying to improve
Oh, so all these big companies are shoving progressivisim into their games out of a desire to make the world a better place? I find that very hard to believe.

But hey, if that's true, then that actually serves as a counter-argument to the "why would companies do this if there's not a demographic big enough for it to be profitable?"
There's your answer. Ideology. Their idea of "making the world a better place" is more important than their bottom line.

So now you guys can argue amongst yourselves

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Okay then, it's evidence of abandonment issues between underage war-torn orphans.
Yeah sure, and Joel and Tess were actually both gay but simply bumped uglies because of post-apocalypse trauma.

Whatever happened to the notion that children don't actually know everything there is to know about themselves?
Thank the lord you're here to judge whether a child is actually gay or not, which is apparently never. 14-year old boy and girl kiss eachother; they must be in love. 14-year old girl and girl kiss eachother; they just don't know themselves yet.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'll take this as you conceding the point again, since this isn't a counter-argument.
No, you should take it as me satirizing your previous post, because that's the only thing it was worthy of.

But hey man, if it makes you feel better to think this is me conceding, be my guest.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Oh, so all these big companies are shoving progressivisim into their games out of a desire to make the world a better place? I find that very hard to believe.

But hey, if that's true, then that actually serves as a counter-argument to the "why would companies do this if there's not a demographic big enough for it to be profitable?"
There's your answer. Ideology. Their idea of "making the world a better place" is more important than their bottom line.

So now you guys can argue amongst yourselves
There is still profit to be found, but it's a long term thing as they weed out chuds like you and alienate you as hard as possible while everyone else enjoys what they are given

Reactions: Buyetyen

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I'll just go ahead and add "developmental and youth psychology" on the list of things Houseman mistakenly believes himself to be an expert in.

Status
Not open for further replies.