Gaming Journalists Make No Damn Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
There is still profit to be found, but it's a long term thing as they weed out chuds like you and alienate you as hard as possible while everyone else enjoys what they are given
I agree that this is what they believe, I just don't think it'll work. I don't think there actually is profit to be found, since, as you already admit, there isn't enough of an audience for them to make their own games.

So far as everything after "but", I really don't think that corporations care about anything other than money. They don't care about your ideology, or "chuds" or "making a difference". They aren't on your side, or mine, or anyone else's. They don't actually believe in feminisim or progressivism, or anything else. They would sell both of us for a buck if they could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
as you already admit, there isn't enough of an audience for them to make their own games.
That's pretty clearly not what he said.

But hey, if we're going to talk about audience size, Monster Prom had a successful Kickstarter and the sequel did even better. It's a parody of dating sims and visual novels and it's selling to people who want one of those. It's also woke AF. Everyone is bi, you can make the player characters trans or enby if you want to, one of the romance options is pretty obviously trans-coded, there's a secret character who's ace and aro, and the pitch black humor never delves into actual bigotry or meanness to write a punchline.

Is this game going to sell like Call of Duty? No. Is it because of all the woke elements? No, it's because dating sims and visual novels don't sell in the same volume as established AAA franchises with ungodly marketing budgets. But Beautiful Glitch made a game for the audience they wanted and were very successful at it. Enough so that they got to make a sequel, which is also doing well among the target audience.

"Get woke, go broke," is nothing more than gatekeeping from people who can't accept culture is moving on without them.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I still struggle to see why the prospect of a trained soldier, drilled almost from birth, at peak physical capacity beating out two untrained middle aged guys with no real martial arts training is so hard to understand. Neither Sam nor Nathan are especially large men so whatever physical disparity exists at baseline is made up by Nadine being in better shape and better trained to win in a brawl.

Or maybe you think that two random 40-something guys who's only ever been in bar brawls and hasn't worked out for a few years could go toe to toe with Rhonda Rousey?
Beating them, yeh. The issue is the sheer ease with which it's done. The Drakes may not be highly trained martial artists but they are shown to be able to hold their own to an extent in fights.

Also adding to that it would be 2 vs 1 so I wouldn't expect a fight to end up such clear cut.

I can buy her winning the issue is how clear cut it is and how little effort it takes. Especially because her technique isn't that great. Her arm throw on Nathan in the beginning wouldn't work the way she was doing unless she was like like Olympic weight lifter levels of strong as even a guy doing that vs a guy wouldn't pull off that throw normally the way she was due to the technique she's using having almost no real use of leverage

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Let Tony Stark refute you on why that doesn't work. Think of Pillinger as the esteemed indie devs who make these thought provoking progressive titles like Gone Home and Sunset, actual Sunlight and other indie game and Tony Stark being EA and the Big Six

View attachment 1484

Indie games don't make as much an impact as a dudebro shooter devs thinking the old boys club of manly testosterone muscle men killing one another should allow for female soldiers to participate in the setting. Or having gay and nonbinary characters proper into the series like Gibraltar and Bloodhound from Apex Legends, devs could have sat contently and ignore the shrill complaints of people like CasualShinji, Avnger and Gethsemane,.

But they chose to listen and do the best a big company can and is constantly trying to improve in spite of complaints from Chuds like you and iron.
How much did you pay for that pre-packaged opinion? Or did you get it in a lootbox? Maybe a humble-bundle? Can you share with us some serial-keys for other opinions we can use that you already have? Yikes dude you can have an ordinary conversation with others and not pull comic strips to speak for you.
That's pretty clearly not what he said.

But hey, if we're going to talk about audience size, Monster Prom had a successful Kickstarter and the sequel did even better. It's a parody of dating sims and visual novels and it's selling to people who want one of those. It's also woke AF. Everyone is bi, you can make the player characters trans or enby if you want to, one of the romance options is pretty obviously trans-coded, there's a secret character who's ace and aro, and the pitch black humor never delves into actual bigotry or meanness to write a punchline.

Is this game going to sell like Call of Duty? No. Is it because of all the woke elements? No, it's because dating sims and visual novels don't sell in the same volume as established AAA franchises with ungodly marketing budgets. But Beautiful Glitch made a game for the audience they wanted and were very successful at it. Enough so that they got to make a sequel, which is also doing well among the target audience.

"Get woke, go broke," is nothing more than gatekeeping from people who can't accept culture is moving on without them.
I can't gatekeep when I'm not at the gate. This is again projection of the highest order - the accusation of gatekeeping is leveled at the 'other side' for the most part. How can you pretend to be the underdog and simultaneously have the interests of massive corporations and media conglomerates behind you? I don't care about this factoid either because it only means I can have more time to get to know older media, i.e. stuff that was made before I was born (before you lot censor the rest of it like with 'gone with the wind').

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
This is again projection of the highest order - the accusation of gatekeeping is leveled at the 'other side' for the most part. How can you pretend to be the underdog and simultaneously have the interests of massive corporations and media conglomerates behind you?
Speaking of projection, holy shit. I wasn't even talking about you.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
But hey, if we're going to talk about audience size, Monster Prom had a successful Kickstarter and the sequel did even better.
Great. I hope them all the best.

See how there's no complaint about these games? Because they are their own IPs. This isn't Monster Prom 4 where 1-3 had been pandering to heterosexual monster-girl fans. They didn't do an abrupt change in course. They were up-front about what they were from the get-go. Those who weren't interested, like me, just weren't interested.

Just not being interested in a new IP isn't something to get outraged about.

It would be better as "Turn woke, go broke", drawing the distinction between established titles that suddenly shift into having progressive values, and titles that begin that way.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I can buy her winning the issue is how clear cut it is and how little effort it takes. Especially because her technique isn't that great. Her arm throw on Nathan in the beginning wouldn't work the way she was doing unless she was like like Olympic weight lifter levels of strong as even a guy doing that vs a guy wouldn't pull off that throw normally the way she was due to the technique she's using having almost no real use of leverage
She obviously used Girl Power.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
All the time. In every game. Hand-to-hand combat is a major part of all of the games. There are even combos you can do.

And you're claiming that no soldier that Drake ever fights has ever been instructed in a manner that makes them better than a "good bar-room brawler".
This is the fatal flaw in your argument. It relies on making absurd claims about the Uncharted universe like that Nadine is the only one who was ever trained in hand-to-hand combat.

Unless you manage to stitch up this gaping wound, nothing else needs to be said.

Such as?
Uncharted is a shooter, it's not DMC.

No, it's just using basic action movie logic that like every action movie has had since forever; standard goons are standard goons. Nadine is probably the only expert in close quarters combat that Drake has faced in the series.

I don't even know what you're requirements for these games are since what you call stuff radical that nobody else calls radical. But Uncharted 4 and ME3. Dwarvenhobble had a whole list and going by what they put down; Life is Strange (since the sequel was mentioned), Overwatch (as Battleborn and Lawbreakers were mentioned). I recall some bitching at Horizon Zero Dawn. TLOU2 is the 3rd best selling game in PlayStation history apparently.

Would you drop $300 on something you may not even like?

Yet some on that list were heavily pushed one by a studio well known enough MS gave them a 1 year exclusivity contract.

They were also pushed by a lot of games journalists in lots of articles but they were reported as underperforming.

Sunset got glowing reviews from outlets and coverage but fail to sell copies.

Firewatch was more the result of the developers targeting PewDiePie in the end plus the general "Oh we talking about series stuff in our walking sim game" Attitude.

Lawbreakers was thanks to Cliff shooting his mouth off on twitter in that games case

Hella Cringe. Same reason people were going to see the film Cats mostly lol

Dishonoured Death of the Outsider was a stand alone expansion.

Battleborn was taken out by Overwatch but you know what Overwatch had?

Sexy Butts

There's nothing major on the side of Overwatch vs Battleborn really but players flocked to one over the other.

And others have had other health systems too. Sorry but it became a genre convention and it's a gameplay convention not an Aesthetic one mostly just mostly out of convenience at the time.

Yeh which was funny because of idiots who complained that I think it was Dunkirk didn't have women soldiers storming the beaches too.

Some things are far more obvious.

Do you know the exact reload time or recoil patter of WWII guns?

So what are these games selling so well with Diversity again?

Nah Nadine man handles the pair because Neil Druckman has a femdom fetish. That's why it's shown as so effortless almost.

The arm-throw she uses on Nathan at the start literally wouldn't work as her technique is terrible, To throw him using technique that poor and proper positioning you have to be hugely strong like Strongman contest strong.

Worth pointing out that Nadine is also in Lost Legacy but has no such scenes.

You know what who didn't work as the director? Neil Druckman.

You know what other game Druckman did work on?

The Last of Us Part II

Which features hugely buff Abby beat the Joel then ultimately kill him.

Yeh funny how the game he doesn't direct has Nadine not able to fairly easily take down two grown men by herself yet two Druckman games now features women violently beating up main characters seemingly effortlessly.

What are these games that are so progressive selling well?

Uncharted 4 was the 4th in an ongoing series so which hadn't been going that way before so yeh it likely wouldn't impact sales as people would likely buy in.

How many of the games you're going to claim are "progressive" are sequels in franchises?
I already mentioned these women players already have the systems needed to play said games.

Some of the games I haven't heard of at all yet they were heavily pushed? I'm someone whose currently most anticipated game is Gamedec so I don't just pay attention to major releases.

There's quite a few things Overwatch had over Battleborn. Overwatch was the next big thing from Blizzard, it had the better presentation/graphics, it had the more pick and play nature to its matches as Battleborn was a MOBA. As far as Dishonored 2's DLC, DLC or standalone DLC doesn't sell as well as the game it's DLC of. The Lost Legacy didn't sell as well as Uncharted 4 when it's a far far better Uncharted game than Uncharted 4.

Why did gamers let health regen become genre convention when it makes games worse and also isn't accurate/realistic? Gamers make dumb decisions as a group constantly like how the people that play "hardcore" modes think the game is more realistic when it actually plays less realistic than normal mode and also unbalances all the guns. I know the reload times in real life are much longer.

Listed games that done well with diversity in response to Houseman.

You're criticizing technique in a pulpy action game? Nadine's technique/animations are noticeably different and communicate to the audience that she's skilled. I'm sure there's plenty of moves in action movies that you can find the same issues with.

I'm not a fan of Neil Druckmann because I don't think he's a good director, it has nothing to do with whatever progressiveness he's pushing or not pushing. I knew TLOU2 was in bad shape from this interview. Guess what that interview has literally nothing to do with? It's not like Abby beats up/kills Joel because she's better or stronger than him, it's cuz her group outnumbers Joel and his brother. Someone wanting revenge on Joel is rather expected, he is a bastard to a lot of people. I already went over this with Houseman, the reason Joel gets killed is so the game can continue with its stealth action gameplay loop. The game was FUBAR from the second it was decided it needed the same gameplay loop as TLOU1.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I used the term "go woke get broke" before on here. Did you miss out when I got called chud for it?
Yes, I did miss it. Anyway, if you want to take my comments personally, that is your prerogative.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Yes, I did miss it. Anyway, if you want to take my comments personally, that is your prerogative.
I didn't take them personally. I'm barely into this whole mess, I checked out around the time big bad thing happened in 2014. I follow gaming but I don't touch much of the media around it except for this site and youtube reviewers (and streamers).

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I didn't take them personally. I'm barely into this whole mess, I checked out around the time big bad thing happened in 2014. I follow gaming but I don't touch much of the media around it except for this site and youtube reviewers (and streamers).
Okay. So what exactly was your problem with what I said? I'm unclear.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Okay. So what exactly was your problem with what I said? I'm unclear.
That it pissed you and several people off so much this thread dragged on to page 40. You refuse to acknowledge my grievances, deny any wrongdoing from 'your side' and place the blame entirely on me. It's very tiresome.

edit: My first response in this thread was that I confirmed I also thought "go woke get broke" exists because of Gillette. Then because of my opinion I started to get bombarded with accusations and counter-arguments as if I'm speaking heresy.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Uncharted is a shooter, it's not DMC.
That doesn't contradict the fact that melee is a major part of all the games.

No, it's just using basic action movie logic that like every action movie has had since forever; standard goons are standard goons.
So are standard goons trained in martial arts, yes or no?

Because you're saying that Drake is not a proficient fighter, which you need in order to make your argument work.
So if Drake isn't a proficient fighter, all the other soldiers he fights must be less proficient than Drake.
But that's an internal contradiction, because "soldier" implies training.

But if they are trained in martial arts, then how can Drake beat them? The answer must be because Drake is actually better trained than they are.
So if Drake is so well-trained enough to rack up the body count that he has, why couldn't he beat Nadine, not even 2v1?

Either way, your logic leads to a contradiction.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
That doesn't contradict the fact that melee is a major part of all the games.

So are standard goons trained in martial arts, yes or no?

Because you're saying that Drake is not a proficient fighter, which you need in order to make your argument work.
So if Drake isn't a proficient fighter, all the other soldiers he fights must be less proficient than Drake.
But that's an internal contradiction, because "soldier" implies training.

But if they are trained in martial arts, then how can Drake beat them? The answer must be because Drake is actually better trained than they are.
So if Drake is so well-trained enough to rack up the body count that he has, why couldn't he beat Nadine, not even 2v1?

Either way, your logic leads to a contradiction.
Hey house, what's up?

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
That it pissed you and several people off so much this thread dragged on to page 40. You refuse to acknowledge my grievances, deny any wrongdoing from 'your side' and place the blame entirely on me. It's very tiresome.

edit: My first response in this thread was that I confirmed I also thought "go woke get broke" exists because of Gillette. Then because of my opinion I started to get bombarded with accusations and counter-arguments as if I'm speaking heresy.
I believe that you believe every word you're saying. I just don't see the existential crisis that you do. Indeed, I do not see evidence that being progressive is a kiss of death for media considering how much of it succeeds with its intended audience. And most of the so-called failures are dramatically over-stated.

So yeah, I believe that you're sincere in your grievances. I just don't agree.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Nothing much, just procrastinating at work. How about you?
I'm winding down after a nice massage. I want to finish a algo assignment but I don't want to stress myself out, since I plan on sleeping soon. I'll probably stay around here for a little longer and go to bed.
I believe that you believe every word you're saying. I just don't see the existential crisis that you do. Indeed, I do not see evidence that being progressive is a kiss of death for media considering how much of it succeeds with its intended audience. And most of the so-called failures are dramatically over-stated.

So yeah, I believe that you're sincere in your grievances. I just don't agree.
There isn't an existential crisis for media, except for the comic book industry, which will go belly-up very, very soon. That is something I am pretty sad about.

Status
Not open for further replies.