Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Alrighty. Thanks for the troll
You can't do it, so you again lie and claim I'm a troll. Own up to what you said before and show me and everyone browsing this thread your reasoning behind your accusations.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So, I thought we might do a little recap.

Any diversity which you deem is good is diversity. Any diversity which you deem as bad is woke. You guys (and some peeps on YouTube) are the sole arbiter on what is deemed as bad. And it can't be poorly written because that would be an excuse why it's woke and not successful

What definitely cant be bad is anything with a cis white straight man. That get an automatic pass. And even if they do have bad movies, that doesn't mean diverse movie van be bad. Becuase that would be woke and 'destroying male legacies.'
That is the ultimate truth! Thank you!

Public service announcement: Only 80 posts to go to surpass TLoU2 Review thread
At leas that thread would mostly stay on topic.

God, if only we could get back to arguing whether or not two different authors at the same publication can have differing opinions about videos games and still make sense
I understand how you're feeling, but that ship sailed long ago. Especially when the person who made the thread did not enforce any rules or guidlines and is just letting anyone go wild. I opted to close the thread, but some people wanted to keep the thread open, cuz they were having too much fun.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I understand how you're feeling, but that ship sailed long ago. Especially when the person who made the thread did not enforce any rules or guidlines and is just letting anyone go wild. I opted to close the thread, but some peopl
I think the thread should be closed just on the fact that the He-Man Woman Haters Club are getting really emotional.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I think the thread should be closed just on the fact that the He-Man Woman Haters Club are getting really emotional.
You have nothing to back yourself up, same with trunkage, and you result to ad-hominem. CLASSIC tactics from weak and emotional speakers. Even the accusation of projection is not addressed but mirrored - you're all funny to me. I hope you aren't like this in real life with real people.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They're going after Johnny Depp because he's Johnny Depp. Not because he's a man
I know but the joke was worth it.

Maybe they do. Maybe I've just read two threads otherwise. I not criticising the comments in your quote here. Like, I only starting piping frequently in this conversation when there was comments that went 'there was no way this woman could take on two men in hand to hand combat." I'm not picking random criticism. I'm picking very specific criticism
In the case of Uncharted it's a prolonged fistfight and the argument isn't she couldn't do it. The argument is she couldn't do it with that level of ease.

Also can't name any movies people criticised for just having women in them?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Weapons are generally considered force multipliers plus the fact they take down people quicker gives a more equal playing field more determined by skill.
Unarmed combat is a lot more decided by strength and technique. I already pointed out Nadine's technique is bad.
It's said that funny trained vs fully trained there's a muscle strength difference of 13% between male and female athletes.

Well firstly it means they have to make the game more generic to incorporate player choice and them creating their own protagonist over a set story

So you're admitting Abby really isn't realistic but claiming it's not important most likely because you're going to argue Mushroom Zombies right?
Technique in a real-world sense and technique in an action movie sense are 2 different things. Usually the guy with pinpoint gun accuracy in a movie is not using proper shooting technique cuz it's a movie. Nadine is shown to the audience as having better technique than Drake. You saying both Drake and Nadine are equally trained? Because nobody would come to that conclusion. I bet Elena has better camera skills than Drake even though she can't even keep the eyes at 2/3s when filming in the opening cutscene of the 1st game.

It worked just fine for Mass Effect.

I'm admitting there's far more unrealistic things about the TLOU world than Abby. Why is Abby such a big deal if realism is your all you care about?

You forgoing major mechanics doesn't mean that those mechanics aren't major. I hardly use Plasmids in Bioshock Infinite, that doesn't mean that they aren't major.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Now where's your evidence that "their hearts aren't in it?"
From your own words...

How are you defining "major"? I'm defining it as "without this, the game would be fundamentally different". Can you go without it? If so, it's minor. If not, it's major.
Like, I can go through a whole CoD campaign without stabbing a single enemy unless it's a forced stealth section or something. I'd call melee a minor part of CoD.
A SHOOTER without a melee option wouldn't be fundamentally different.

Because they're goons, they're nothing but a plot device.

It's rarely explained just why they're willing to fight and die for villains who want to destroy the world, or what they get in return. Their life expectancy is on a level with that of the average mayfly, and you have to wonder why they took the job in the first place, especially if master is abusing them as much if not more than the heroes.

That's the joke of the comic strip you posted, I guess you didn't get "it".

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I find them fine. The worst DW has done is farting aliens, blowjob cement face fan and the episode right after revealing who the Toclophane are. The worst in these seasons is probably Rosa Parks. It is bad but not that bad

But none of are really good. Like you expect one expetional episode per season. These two just dont have that

Edit: I was worried when hearing Whittaker getting the job. She's the worst thing about Broadchurch which is generally excellent otherwise. She suprised me by doing much better in DW
Even during Moffat's era that everyone bitched about (the overarching season plots were OK at best), there was some great stuff there (I don't recall if they're only non-Moffat episodes) and I loved Clara as a companion (I know that's not a popular opinion) and her first season w/Smith was a really bad DW season as a whole. I don't think I've liked a single episode in the 2 series that Jodi's been the Doctor. Orphan 55 was one of the worst episodes of TV that I've probably ever seen, it was so bad. I don't at all like the trio of companions either.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Even during Moffat's era that everyone bitched about (the overarching season plots were OK at best), there was some great stuff there (I don't recall if they're only non-Moffat episodes) and I loved Clara as a companion (I know that's not a popular opinion) and her first season w/Smith was a really bad DW season as a whole. I don't think I've liked a single episode in the 2 series that Jodi's been the Doctor. Orphan 55 was one of the worst episodes of TV that I've probably ever seen, it was so bad. I don't at all like the trio of companions either.
Oh, I forgot about Orphan 55

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
A SHOOTER without a melee option wouldn't be fundamentally different.
Uncharted isn't a shooter, though. It's an action-adventure game.
Ghost Recon is a shooter.
CoD is a shooter.
Serious Sam is a shooter.

The fact is, you can't beat any of the games without melee.

Because they're goons, they're nothing but a plot device.
It doesn't mean Drake killing hundreds of people isn't canon. It's even said in a cutscene "How many people have you killed, just today?"

That's the joke of the comic strip you posted, I guess you didn't get "it".
I ask again, what's your evidence that "their hearts aren't in it"? You made the claim, yet you never backed it up with anything. I at least, have evidence.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
In the case of Uncharted it's a prolonged fistfight and the argument isn't she couldn't do it. The argument is she couldn't do it with that level of ease.

Also can't name any movies people criticised for just having women in them?
Oh lets see

Selma - Did ok but it didn't win so was blamed on that
Batwoman
Supergirl
Vagrant Queen
New She-Ra
Charles Angels (the new one)
Battlefield V selling below expectations
Sunset - one of the devs of the studio went on quite the rant on her way out of the industry before coming crawling back when an arts grant came in.
Robert Yang tried to blame homophobia for why Rinse and Repeat got banned on Twitch or at least tried to argue his game should get special allowance to be on there and not be banned like the other games banned on Twitch.
Ghostbusters 2016 - lots of blaming sexism on that one.
Ocean's 8 saw a lot of puff pieces about great opening performance but it ended up as the lowest performing in the Oceans franchise
Assassination Nation I think the director blaming sexism on it's failure.
Birds of Prey had people online yelling it did badly due to sexism.
The Director of Terminator Dark Fate said sexists wouldn't see the film and would be scared, before the film came out.
There was another list you made somewhere. I can go get that for you too if you like

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Technique in a real-world sense and technique in an action movie sense are 2 different things. Usually the guy with pinpoint gun accuracy in a movie is not using proper shooting technique cuz it's a movie. Nadine is shown to the audience as having better technique than Drake. You saying both Drake and Nadine are equally trained? Because nobody would come to that conclusion. I bet Elena has better camera skills than Drake even though she can't even keep the eyes at 2/3s when filming in the opening cutscene of the 1st game.
Well considering how sloppy Nadine's technique is (as I pointed out) she wouldn't be seen as that good, better than Drake but 2 vs 1being better only gets you so far.
I'm not saying Drake and Nadine are equally trained I'm saying even if Nadine is an 8 and Nathan and Sam are 4's that would still be a fairly even match but Nadine manhandles them like they're nothing pretty much.

It worked just fine for Mass Effect.

I'm admitting there's far more unrealistic things about the TLOU world than Abby. Why is Abby such a big deal if realism is your all you care about?
Problem being with most of the stuff that would be claimed as most unrealistic they did try to explain it and justify it based on real world things. Yes human Mushroom zombies aren't real but the concept of mushroom zombies is based on real life stuff that effects ants. It's how far from reality and plausibility things fall.

Abby being able to go for what's meant to be months on the road and maintain the look most people not in a post apocalypse can maintain for 2 weeks at most then have to essentially go into recovery mode? Yeh pushing it a bit further than a mutant strain of an already existing fungus happening.

The obvious answer is because realism isn't actually what they're concerned about and is simply a rationalization.
Or alternatively the people defending her just have a fetish for muscle women and are worried they'll not be able to get more wank fodder

What if people are going to play the game of claiming ulterior motives two can do that

There was another list you made somewhere. I can go get that for you too if you like
No you see you're actually going to have to prove the objections to said properties were women in them rather than carry on the conspiracy theory that somehow I'm against all women lead properties despite bringing up Stargirl and Killjoys recently I think possibly even in this very thread lol. So care to point to people objecting to said properties JUST for having women in them?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No you see you're actually going to have to prove the objections to said properties were women in them rather than carry on the conspiracy theory that somehow I'm against all women lead properties despite bringing up Stargirl and Killjoys recently I think possibly even in this very thread lol. So care to point to people objecting to said properties JUST for having women in them?
I’m pretty sure I said something like: women need to be leads only when they do it the way you like. They need to appease your sensibilities. Anything outside what you like is woke

Here’s a list of Movies from 2019

How many bad movies are here?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Uncharted isn't a shooter, though. It's an action-adventure game.
Ghost Recon is a shooter.
CoD is a shooter.
Serious Sam is a shooter.

The fact is, you can't beat any of the games without melee.

It doesn't mean Drake killing hundreds of people isn't canon. It's even said in a cutscene "How many people have you killed, just today?"

I ask again, what's your evidence that "their hearts aren't in it"? You made the claim, yet you never backed it up with anything. I at least, have evidence.
Outside of light platforming (that the PSP game allowed you to automate, no joke) and light puzzle solving (answers in your journal), Uncharted is a shooter. Outside of a few forced melee moments, you can beat Uncharted without melee. That was literally your definition of a minor component that I quoted last message.

Ghost Recon is a stealth game. In Ghost Recon Future Soldier you hardly have to shoot anyone, you can have your squadmates do sync shots throughout the whole campaign. Same with the new games like Wildlands and Breakpoint.

Drake's kill count has nothing to do with anything. If Drake killed like 5 people that day, that line in the cutscene still works.

The evidence is they are goons, what don't you get about goons in an action game/movie? If goons behaved logically, you don't got tons of people to shoot in Uncharted, Jackie Chan doesn't have tons of guys to beat up in his movies, the Ninja Turtles don't have tons of foot soldiers to beat up. They exist so action scenes exist. Why are you trying to apply some really weird "realistic but not realistic" logic to a pulpy action game?

Well considering how sloppy Nadine's technique is (as I pointed out) she wouldn't be seen as that good, better than Drake but 2 vs 1being better only gets you so far.
I'm not saying Drake and Nadine are equally trained I'm saying even if Nadine is an 8 and Nathan and Sam are 4's that would still be a fairly even match but Nadine manhandles them like they're nothing pretty much.

Problem being with most of the stuff that would be claimed as most unrealistic they did try to explain it and justify it based on real world things. Yes human Mushroom zombies aren't real but the concept of mushroom zombies is based on real life stuff that effects ants. It's how far from reality and plausibility things fall.

Abby being able to go for what's meant to be months on the road and maintain the look most people not in a post apocalypse can maintain for 2 weeks at most then have to essentially go into recovery mode? Yeh pushing it a bit further than a mutant strain of an already existing fungus happening.
There's several scenes just like that in many action movies. You show someone as being skilled (whether using real or stylized technique) = them allowed to beat up people realistically or unrealistically. That's action movie logic.

I'm not even talking about mushroom zombies being unrealistic, I'm talking about all the things the humans do or have happen to them. For example, a much smaller Japanese chick beating up a much bigger, stronger man in Pacific Rim is peanuts vs the unrealistic nature of Kaiju and Mechs fighting on the streets (not something like Kaiju being realistic). Abby being too buff is peanuts to the other unrealistic stuff in the TLOU world. It's called suspension of disbelief.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Outside of light platforming (that the PSP game allowed you to automate, no joke) and light puzzle solving (answers in your journal), Uncharted is a shooter. Outside of a few forced melee moments, you can beat Uncharted without melee.
"Outside of all the things that make it an action-adventure game, it's a shooter"

Your argument relies on ignoring what disproves it.

The evidence is they are goons,
So your argument is "they're enemies in a video game, therefore their hearts aren't in it".
I don't think I buy that, sorry.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
There's several scenes just like that in many action movies. You show someone as being skilled (whether using real or stylized technique) = them allowed to beat up people realistically or unrealistically. That's action movie logic.
However as you or others pointed out those are generally mooks it's done to not main characters also generally in action films the mooks are taken out of the fight somehow rather than it being a prolonged fight as such

I'm not even talking about mushroom zombies being unrealistic, I'm talking about all the things the humans do or have happen to them. For example, a much smaller Japanese chick beating up a much bigger, stronger man in Pacific Rim is peanuts vs the unrealistic nature of Kaiju and Mechs fighting on the streets (not something like Kaiju being realistic). Abby being too buff is peanuts to the other unrealistic stuff in the TLOU world. It's called suspension of disbelief.
Well in Pacific Rim it's a battle of technique using said weapons rather than brute strength as I said before.

So what aspects of TLOU worlds are that much more unrealistic other than Mushroom Zombies?

Status
Not open for further replies.