Gaming Patriotism or "Do you have a preferred country in games?"

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
ArMartinez02 said:
i rlly have no preference, but if they had Panama as a playing faction in a war game or sum shit like that ill die a happy man, o wait they did

i always play on this map lol, its so accurate in some points. if ur panamenian then u should kno what im talking about =P
Either English is your second language or "u should kno" that if the rest of us are posting in complete sentences with proper spelling and grammar rather than text-messaging, that might be a guideline worth following.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Britain, preferably England. I remember Medieval II: Total War. I was England, and made York my capital, because London sucks.

Or Russia, if the game just does "Britain is America with funny accents, lol!"

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Back when I played CoD1/United Offensive/2 I played Germans for the most part. I like the kar .98 more than the springfield. It felt like it was more difficult since it was bolt action, and missing could very well mean you were dead. Plus I loved killing people who used the Thompson - since it was always OP - that and the Russian PSSH (or whatever it was).

Dannyboy1186

Jul 14, 2009
Not sure if this counts but I actually prefer when games take place in a made up land, that way the designers arnt bound to fact. Basicly Iam saying if its in a made up land then they are free to make up culture and history. Of course they can use present countries as starting points or in realism based games.

nomadic_chad

Feb 12, 2010
I don't have a particular preference for what country I like to play as when gaming, but I do have a tendency to pick the country/faction that I would guess a lot of others don't pick. I like taking the side of the American Indians, South American or African countries, whatever I can imagine others looking at and going, "No way!"

I think that is a bit of a personality thing though. I also loathe bandwagon fans, whatever teams are currently popular due to bandwagon fans, and secretly finding myself rooting for the visiting team, unless I'm playing in said game. I guess that would make me an underdog fanboy or something, eh?

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Call me boring but I usually play either England, or if another nation suits my play style better i will play them (e.g. in Civ 4 I usually play Russian because Catherine has the two traits I prefer, Creative and Financial).
When you have accurate geography England is often one of the easier nations to play anyway if only because of the easy expansion into Scotland and Ireland and the great defensive position of being an island.

Edit: I'm British btw

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I usually play Switzerland, German, or Scandinavian nations. I wish there was a WW2 game from the opposite perspective... Using an MP-40 from the start would be so cool.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Probably the faction that is wearing the coolest armour.
Or the faction with Gas Masks.
Or Russia because Russians are awesome.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Great Britain, France, Russia, or (begrudgingly) The US, and that's only because my home and native land, Canada, is never featured in any games EVER. ¬_¬

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
I've never really thought about this until recently. I've been playing through Fable 2 and I realised how much I liked hearing English accents, rather than Americans. It's not that I have anything against Americans or their accent, it's just nice to hear something different once in a while.