Gaming pranker and his family fall victim to extreme revenge prank

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
It was a place the law couldn't go, so getting officers of the law involved was in poor taste. It's bad publicity for gamers good bad or ugly, but did the dude deserve some kind of smackdown? Probably. :)

SpireOfFire

Dec 4, 2009
"daddy, why did those scary men with guns burst into our house?"

"because i think being a perverted asshole is funny."

this guy probly thinks rape victims are faking it.

Misterben

Dec 3, 2010
I've just registered with The Escapist specifically to add my two cents to this thread.

I agree that it is a shame that a SWAT team had to be wasted on this. But that guy, and people like him, are utterly despicable. They are part of the reason that gaming is still struggling to enter the mainstream, and why online life is less than it could be for so many people. Don't laugh at his videos. Don't watch his videos. He's an arrogant, narcissistic d-bag; just ignore him, deprive him of the audience he clearly craves, and let him die in much-deserved obscurity.

InsaneAlbino

Nov 24, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
InsaneAlbino said:
While I agree with you that people shouldn't have to leave a public area, that's not the way it turns out sometimes. And I'm not saying it's her fault that she just happened to be the one it happened to. What I'm saying is that it's her fault it went on so long and how it escalated due to her inability to make the right choice.
I'm curious how one is punished so severely in a video game that they'll stay in a game even while being harassed like that. Seems stupid to me and it's kinda defeating the "leave game" function.
Leaving a game counts as a loss in most online shooters. Plus Bungie bans you for doing it.
If she cares that much about the loss, then it's back to "she deserved the trolling". And I doubt Bungie'll ban you for a leave to avoid harassment

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
I'm not going to lie, some of the stuff he says is hilarious. She could have just muted him, guess she could have been playing and had friends in the room laughing at yer man or whatever.

Would that be appropriate face to face, no of course not. Thats why he's doing it on X-Box live and not down the local pub where he'd probably end up in hospital.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
My first impression: Oh god, what's happened now? Poor bastard.

My reaction upon reading: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Shame he didn't try to resist or anything. Anyone know if he got subjected to flashbangs or something? Pepper spray? CS Gas?
Gods I hope so.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
strangeotron said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
strangeotron said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
She, you, me, anybody shouldn't have to leave. Thats absolutely correct. However were not talking about someone being bullied in real life.
Yes we are. That you can't see the difference is very worrying. Is it then acceptable to harass and prey on girls by ringing up their homes?
No were not. Someone bothers you on the internet, On aim, on myspace, twitter, internet forum, there is always an ignore button. Even your phone example, however, I'm sure there is a way to block numbers from calling (and also you can type in the special code that reports the call to the police department)

Question, why are you focusing on the gender? Would it have been more acceptable to you if the person being harassed was male? This appears worrying to me.
The gender has relevance. He's a grown man (apparently) with a wife and a kid with disposable income enough to open endless live accounts and presumably consoles, the victim was a young woman (19 iirc), barely out of childhood. How on earth does that not set off alarm bells?

Yes she could have muted him, but that's a hassle. She shouldn't have to. She paid to play online the same as everyone else so why shouldn't she? Presumably she initially thought it was just some harmless twat with nothing more dangerous than a foul mouth so she regarded it as banter, and then gets drawn into playing his game. It's easily done, and it's jsut as easy, here outside of the situation, to calmly commentate on what people should do. But that completely misses the point.

You can worry about my apparent focus on gender as much as you like (and i'm well aware of your sad little insinutation), but i'd be more worried about living in a world that puts the blame on the victim, which is what you are implying.
Um, no. I never blamed the victim for being innocently attacked, in fact I very carefully worded what I writing to make that very clear because I knew there would be people like you who would act in just this way. I merely just pointing out an observation that the internet, unlike the real world, has ignore/block buttons. The majority of the people don't use these, unfortunately and thats how we get situations where kids commit suicide over what some jerk sent them on twitter. Oh but clearly, stating this means obviously I hate women and I blame the victim, which is what you're strongly hinting at and I take great offense to.

Furthermore...

Hassel? Hassel?! HASSEL? IT TAKES WHAT? ALL OF 5 SECONDS TO MUTE SOMEONE! and/or drop out and join a new game.

How on earth does that not set off alarm bells? It's freaking Xbox Live! You hop on a few rounds of Halo you know your definitely going to run into people using racial epitats over the microphone, and 12 year old kids screaming and various other annoying specimens. This isn't some revolutionary concept I'm coming up with either, and I'm pretty sure it's something ALL of us have employed. Hell I don't even wear a mic anymore just because I just plain don't desire to deal with this crap.

But no, clearly my (self proclaimed) "harsh criticism" of this girls choice to stay in her "misery" (Likely more she just didn't give a damn enough too) shows what a terrible horrible person I am. [/Sarcasm]

strangeotron said:
InsaneAlbino said:
If she cares that much about the loss, then it's back to "she deserved the trolling". And I doubt Bungie'll ban you for a leave to avoid harassment
The ban is implemented as a process in the game, it doesn't ask why you quit.

Anyone that even entertains the possibility that she deserved it needs to talk to a psychiatrist urgently. I'm not even joking. This is the 21st century ffs.
wait, hold up? Bungie bans people for quitting mid-game now?

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Lulz were had all around. The girl should've muted him to begin with, everyone knows live is a cesspool of human waste in gamer form. Swat team was a funny response.

Rouse

Dec 2, 2010
that guy is a total jerk.
he totally deserves what he got, which, in my opinion isn't anything too serious. it's as serious as his jokes anyway 'just a prank'. :/

and it would be seriously stupid if the guy who did the prank gets caught and faces charges. he's more like a hero rather than criminal. what about the girls he's offended? do they get to sue him for sexual harassment? It's just unfair.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
One troll to another, mate. You are the most stereotypical douche whoever lived and you suck at what you do. Drink bleach. Never reproduce. Fuck your mother.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
No...I'm totally fine with what happened to him. Wish the family wasn't there as well, but I'm completely fine with it.

In fact, I'd wished I could have seen his face when he saw the SWAT team and crapped himself. Innocent jokes, my left foot. I wish he could have been taken to the station or something. Maybe seeing iron bars would have changed his mind.

'is seriously peeved'

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
strangeotron said:
KiKiweaky said:
I'm not going to lie, some of the stuff he says is hilarious. She could have just muted him, guess she could have been playing and had friends in the room laughing at yer man or whatever.

Would that be appropriate face to face, no of course not. Thats why he's doing it on X-Box live and not down the local pub where he'd probably end up in hospital.
So sexual bullying is ok over a phoneline?
Did I say it was? She could hang up/report him if he rang her. X-Box live is different. Are you telling me if you picked up a phone and went into an environment like a 'chat room' (16+ people) like the one you just watched that the anonymous pillocs would behave, that the conversation would be more tame?

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Space Spoons said:
Sounds like he definitely deserved what he got. Internet vigilantism and the retaliatory mindset it breeds always leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but this guy absolutely had it coming. No remorse.
karma is a *****. You mess with her and she will bite your balls off