Gaming pranker and his family fall victim to extreme revenge prank

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
MiracleOfSound said:
WanderingFool said:
Does he deserve some kind of payback, yes. Does he deserve a SWAT team busting down his door, I think not...
His family certainly didn't deserve that. I bet his missus is pretty pissed with him right now...

Space Spoons said:
Sounds like he definitely deserved what he got. Internet vigilantism and the retaliatory mindset it breeds always leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but this guy absolutely had it coming. No remorse.
Kinda how I feel about it too. If you have a family and kids you have also a responsibility to them not to be a complete jackass to other people.
I reckon it's over the top for his family to get involved, but you know what? If it means his wife looks at what he's been doing and saying online, I think *that* is a decent punishment (assuming she rips him a new one).

InsaneAlbino

Nov 24, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
InsaneAlbino said:
For one, you made quite a leap from video games to bars. For two, those are two different situations. The video doesn't show anything keeping the girl in that game. There was no reason for her to stay since there are quite a few other Halo games going on that she easily could have played in.
It's the same principle. Someone should not have to leave ANY public space, gaming lobbies included, due to being harrassed by an asshole and it is not someone's fault if it happens them.

If it happened to her on Reach she'd have been punished for rage quitting. Where does that leave her?
While I agree with you that people shouldn't have to leave a public area, that's not the way it turns out sometimes. And I'm not saying it's her fault that she just happened to be the one it happened to. What I'm saying is that it's her fault it went on so long and how it escalated due to her inability to make the right choice.
I'm curious how one is punished so severely in a video game that they'll stay in a game even while being harassed like that. Seems stupid to me and it's kinda defeating the "leave game" function.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
InsaneAlbino said:
While I agree with you that people shouldn't have to leave a public area, that's not the way it turns out sometimes. And I'm not saying it's her fault that she just happened to be the one it happened to. What I'm saying is that it's her fault it went on so long and how it escalated due to her inability to make the right choice.
I'm curious how one is punished so severely in a video game that they'll stay in a game even while being harassed like that. Seems stupid to me and it's kinda defeating the "leave game" function.
Leaving a game counts as a loss in most online shooters. Plus Bungie bans you for doing it.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
scifidownbeat said:
strangeotron said:
scifidownbeat said:
Either DJ Keemstar's videos are staged or that girl deserved it if she didn't think of muting him.
Are you serious? She deserved it? Perhaps she was also wearing a short skirt as well.
Ah yes, that was really clever with the whole "short skirt" quip. *sigh*

Okay, maybe "deserved it" is a poor choice of words. But you're just as bad as me if you're suggesting that rape and verbal abuse that she could have walked away from at any moment deserve the same response.

BTW nice job sextuple-posting.

[sub]You say something that even remotely relates to controversy and people are up your ass like worms...[/sub]
She couldn't walk away from all of it. She could have left the match, but, as other people have pointed out, she shouldn't have to (that's an issue for MS). It's also mentioned in the video that she started receiving loads of messages which she doesn't want, prompting her to change her gamertag. Rape was a bit far, the equivalent of that would be spamming her phone/mobile with those messages, sexual harassment is closer.

OT: The prank was a waste of police time, but the guy is a massive twat and deserved it. If he didn't act like that it wouldn't have happened. You make your bed and you sleep in it. I, however, elected to just report the video and hope the people who didn't like it do the same.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
strangeotron said:
renzozuken2002 said:
The guy may have been a dick but his innocent family who had nothing to do with his F@G videos didn't deserve to have their home busted into by the SWAT team.
They don't, but if they can't exert some responsibility over their kid to behave like a decent human in their home then I'm afraid my sympathy runs dry. Looks like he got teabagged by the whirlwind.
You misunderstand what it means when people say his family was involved, he doesn't live with his parents he lives with his wife/girlfriend (whatever) and their daughter.

He's a tool, but his daughter is young and I doubt this experience was good for her.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
strangeotron said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
She, you, me, anybody shouldn't have to leave. Thats absolutely correct. However were not talking about someone being bullied in real life.
Yes we are. That you can't see the difference is very worrying. Is it then acceptable to harass and prey on girls by ringing up their homes?
No were not. Someone bothers you on the internet, On aim, on myspace, twitter, internet forum, there is always an ignore button. Even your phone example, however, I'm sure there is a way to block numbers from calling (and also you can type in the special code that reports the call to the police department)

Question, why are you focusing on the gender? Would it have been more acceptable to you if the person being harassed was male? This appears worrying to me.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Ehhhh this is a not a good prank. Yes I don't like jerks on the Internet. I especially don't like egotistical, sexist, pigs who harass people on the internet.

But getting a SWAT team to kick down his door? I don't care about the guy, but what about the SWAT team? They have stuff to do, training to complete, their own lives to lead. They don't have time to get involved with pranks. This prank was inconsiderate to the police officers involved.

There's a reason calling Hoaxes in to law enforcement is a crime. It takes up their time, it diverts resources, it causes more additional, pointless paperwork, it wastes time and it's just not pleasant.

Fine, you don't like jerks on the internet, mute them. That's what I do. I MUTE them. I don't read their chat text, I don't respond to them. I ignore them. But I also don't get the police involved and waste everyone's time just because someone called someone I know bad names on the internet.

EDIT - and what about the cost to taxpayers? Deploying a SWAT team isn't cheap. You don't just roll up in your car to the house. You need to plan, to organize the equipment, get ambulances on standby, load ammo and pay for the fuel to drive a lot of vehicles there. You need to hire people to seal off the area around the scene, you need to get Police Department PR to deal with the press - calling in a SWAT team is NOT FUNNY, it's EXPENSIVE. I'm not saying it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, but it probably did cost hundreds of dollars, if not thousands - taxpayer money that could have gone to better use.

This is what I hate about the internet - yes, Keen was an inconsiderate, sexist pig, and I don't care if he was pranked. But using up police resources and time and taxpayer money IS ALSO inconsiderate and wrong.

Bah - kids these days. They never THINK about stuff, they just assume they know everything. The Police and the SWAT team aren't there for you to use in your pranks. This is just stupid.

May 5, 2010
You know, at first I thought it sounded a bit extreme, but after watching the video, I think that's really the only way to get to a douche of that magnitude. I agree with whoever posted the first video:

Whoever you are, Frosty: You're my hero.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
renzozuken2002 said:
thedeathscythe said:
Kulingile said:
renzozuken2002 said:
The guy may have been a dick but his innocent family who had nothing to do with his F@G videos didn't deserve to have their home busted into by the SWAT team.
Lesson here. You can't go through life thinking that your actions will never affect anyone but yourself. His family suffered because of his idiocy.
I agree with this. He's a man, he should know that his actions can have consequences on his family and personal life. It's the real world, things transfer from one thing to another.
That doesn't make it right. Sending a SWAT team wasn't just immature, it was dangerous, anyone that thinks this was justified should get their morals checked.
Keemstar's pranks may not have been innocent but they were harmless, I hope that prankster gets caught.
you've got a point but its begs the question.(yes I know thats not correct usage) How would you take revenge on him if you were HIGHLY motivated to?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
He deserved it... totally totally deserved it... these are the people who the media think of when they think of "adult gamers"...

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Did he deserve such an extreme retribution?

Hell Yeah!

Thats not funny thats just one more reason why gamers get a bad name. Perhaps a SWAT team will teach him a lesson in online etiquette? Personally if he had come onto any game server that i had admin rights to he'd have gotten a ban there and then, and told to take his sexist ways elsewere.

Nov 24, 2010
Please excuse my language, but that douche deserved exactly what he got. I hate people like him almost as much as I hate cheaters.