Gaming problems with my gf.

Charm Offensive

May 24, 2011
I'm quite a big gamer and have been spending a fair amount of my free time playing Black Ops on my xbox recently. I'm not neglecting Natasha or anything, in fact she's kind of a gamer too. The following picture is kind of true of our relationship.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmchytXP3d1qjbc5uo1_500.jpg

Pictures don't post here, so it says "a real girlfriend does not complain when her boyfriend is playing his xbox. She sits there and yells... KILL HIM"

The graphic makes it seem like a nice thing, but, it's kind of annoying when proceeded by "why are you using the ACOG attachment on such a small map" or "didn't you just call that other guy a tosser for camping in that exact same spot that you have been prone on for the last 90 seconds".

Or my personal favourite "oh give me the controller and i'll do it". She knows the difference in stopping power between an Ithaca and a HS-10 and thinks it makes her a bloody, i don't know, cold war era Joan of Ark or something.

But she doesn't even know the difference between "camping" and "strategic waiting". Which. Is. What. I. Do.

I really don't want our first major fight to be over Call of Duty. I just really needed to rant about this, but does anyone have any advice on how i can mitigate my burning desire to scream whenever she offers me advice on the game?

Neo10101

Sep 7, 2009
If you are prone for 90 seconds and not the sniper you are camping, sorry man but point to your gf.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
hand her the controller and tell her to try if she's so good.

if she can do it she's a real girlfriend

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Do you play against each other on any level? If you're in the same room then trash talk is a must.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Neo10101 said:
If you are prone for 90 seconds and not the sniper you are camping, sorry man but point to your gf.
Pretty much this.

"Strategic waiting" is only really up to about 20 seconds, anything over half a minute is definitely camping (between 20-30 is a grey area).

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
"Strategic waiting" is a fancy name for camping. Sorry, dude...Girlfriend wins that one.

Also, no offense, but..You sound threatened by the fact that she knows games as well or better than you do. You'd probably be better off with a non-gamer.

Lastly, that comic is utter BS. And I'm saying this as a female gamer. There's a line between bitching because you want attention and bitching because the guy spends ALL his time on the games. A real woman knows and will stand up for herself when she's being ignored.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
strategic waiting, that's a new one on me :D

In all seriousness just sit down and ask her to stop, tell her how you feel about it, calmly don't rant or anything, before you explode during a gaming session.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Play a 1v1 against her, no camping/strategic waiting, and whoever wins is right.

Forever.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
You know what the solution is? Talking about it.

To her.

EDIT: Also, [*image*] *image url* [*/image*] will post the picture. Just remove the "*s"

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
"Do what you want cause a pirate is free you are a pirate!! "

also whats already been said above

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
This is the future of relationships, and it is sincerely awesome.

OT: unless you're a sniper, there is really no such thing as strategic waiting. I can't really comment much on her other points but -- hell -- better she yell at you that you're not playing right than yell at you that you're playing at all.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Like others said, maybe you should talk to her about it.
Or follow her advice and see what happens.

Charm Offensive

May 24, 2011
Well, i only play team headqaurters and i think the difference between "camping" and "strategic waiting" is this.

A camper will park himself somewhere hidden or hard to reach soleley with a view of racking up kills while not dying to unlock a killstreak reward. Giving absolutely no thought to how his actions affect the team's ability to secure a HQ.

A strategic waiter like myself will choose his location very carefully. Normally a tactical position where i can provide overwatch for the guys on the ground that are attacking the HQ itself, or of the major routes from the spawns to the HQ.

I mean, yeah, i avoid the thickest of the action so i can unlock the attack dogs killstreak, but i do it for purely selfless reasons.