Gaming showcase 2023 thread

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Since we can't exactly call it E3 this year (and hopefully never again), I'm titling this thread as Gaming Showcase. Here's hoping all the major announcements, gameplays, and trailers get discussed here. Starting with SGF 2023.

Stuff that I have a feeling that will be featured whether I like them or not:
Elden Ring Shadow of the erdtree
Armored Core 6
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberity
Mortal Kombat 1 gameplay
Fortnite Update
Some Diablo 4 stuff
WOW stuff
ESO stuff
Any live-service updates
2K games (probably sports)

Stuff that I wish would be shown:
More PS port to PC?
Baldur's Gate 3
Lies of P
Transformers: Reactivate gameplay
More from Square Enix (FF7 Rebirth? New Nier game? FFT finally coming to pc?)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im really curious to see if we hear anything about the new Fable. I know it is rumoured to make an appearance, but im pretty excited to see it.

I know it is a weird franchise, but I've always enjoyed my time with it, and it will be pretty interesting to see a Fable game that doesn't have its expectations blown completely out of proportion by Peter Molyneux.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I want to see what's more going on with the indie game is coming out this summer or late summer. Ra Ra Boom and Double Dragon Gaiden have peaked my interests. Hopefully Capcom announces Separate Ways DLC.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Im really curious to see if we hear anything about the new Fable. I know it is rumoured to make an appearance, but im pretty excited to see it.

I know it is a weird franchise, but I've always enjoyed my time with it, and it will be pretty interesting to see a Fable game that doesn't have its expectations blown completely out of proportion by Peter Molyneux.
Yeah. In fact, if it wasn't for Peter M's strange direction, I'd imagine Fable being one of the biggest Fantasy RPG franchises by now. After the Fable Legends cancelation, the franchise sure could use a comeback. Guess we'll have to wait until the Xbox showcase.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah. In fact, if it wasn't for Peter M's strange direction, I'd imagine Fable being one of the biggest Fantasy RPG franchises by now. After the Fable Legends cancelation, the franchise sure could use a comeback. Guess we'll have to wait until the Xbox showcase.
Since old Peter is dealing with nfts, I highly doubt Fable is coming back in any type of capacity. If it does, I can already tell you most people would like it, cuz it'll be some dumb it's spin off/mobile spin off nobody wanted nor are invested in playing. I'm not a Fable fan, but my brother loves the series. Which is a shame, cuz I know there are a lot of genuine friends out there that deserve so much better than this.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ehhhhhh I think if you remove Molyneux strange direction you're just left with an extremely generic fantasy RPG, the kind that are everywhere and are mostly ignored.

Speaking of, I wonder if they'll start talking about ES6, or maybe they're gonna wait for starfield to come out (and underwhelm) before.

Aside from AC6, nothing much I'm looking forward to, the pile of shame is ever increasing and I think it officially reached the point where no more new game could come out till I die and I wouldn't run out of stuff to play. So anything really cool is just going to be added to the pile anyway.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Oh man, I completely forgot that Fable Legends existed (RIP).

Looking at the franchise's history, it got really spotty after the last mainline game, which was Fable 3 (2010).

In 2012 there was a XBLA game called Fable Heroes, which appears to be some kind of brawler. And then Fable: The Journey, which was that Kinect exclusive game - and Peter Molyneux's last. Neither game appeared to be received particularly well.

Fable Anniversary came out in 2014, which was a remaster of the first game.

Fable Heroes was announced in 2013, but then cancelled in 2016.

And apparently there was a Fable card game called Fable Fortune, which failed its Kickstarter campaign, but released anyway in 2018. The servers shut down in 2020, but I legitimately had no idea that this game ever existed.

Then the Fable reboot was announced in 2020.

Looking at those dates, I think it is quite fair to say that the franchise has actually remained quite active since the release of Fable 3, its just that the franchise hasn't exactly released anything of note.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I feel like everything under MS is just rumor at this point. There are some games that have been teased for years at this point with nothing to show for it.

My hopes for MS are pretty shutdown after Phil Spencer's interview regarding Redfall and how they've basically "given up on making great exclusives". That shit is not good to hear consider all the studios they've been buying.

Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I feel like everything under MS is just rumor at this point. There are some games that have been teased for years at this point with nothing to show for it.
Yeah, this kind of echoes how I feel about Xbox. They've got all of these studios under their belt, and there are tonnes of games that they announced two or three years ago, but nothing to show for any of it yet.

But, apparently Xbox's next show will feature only footage that was captured in-game or in-engine. No vague CGI trailers in sight. So fingers crossed that this is finally where they turn things around.

My hopes for MS are pretty shutdown after Phil Spencer's interview regarding Redfall and how they've basically "given up on making great exclusives". That shit is not good to hear consider all the studios they've been buying.
I feel like you have misunderstood what was being said in that interview, if that was your takeaway. Admittedly, the wording wasn't exactly super clear.

That whole segment of the interview was basically Phil Spencer saying that making good games alone isn't going to suddenly make them "win" this console generation, but that they also need to make the rest of the Xbox ecosystem as attractive as possible - Gamepass, xCloud, multiplatform etc - to regain a foothold.

Its not a case of focusing on making good games, OR focusing on creating a good ecosystem, it is firmly a "yes, and".

Of course their recent track record as to whether or not they are succeeding at that vision is another conversation, but there is no way that I, or you, or anyone should believe that Microsoft has basically given up on making good games for good.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Of course their recent track record as to whether or not they are succeeding at that vision is another conversation, but there is no way that I, or you, or anyone should believe that Microsoft has basically given up on making good games for good.
They are going to have to prove it to me by making a good game then.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh man, I completely forgot that Fable Legends existed (RIP).

Looking at the franchise's history, it got really spotty after the last mainline game, which was Fable 3 (2010).

In 2012 there was a XBLA game called Fable Heroes, which appears to be some kind of brawler. And then Fable: The Journey, which was that Kinect exclusive game - and Peter Molyneux's last. Neither game appeared to be received particularly well.

Fable Anniversary came out in 2014, which was a remaster of the first game.

Fable Heroes was announced in 2013, but then cancelled in 2016.

And apparently there was a Fable card game called Fable Fortune, which failed its Kickstarter campaign, but released anyway in 2018. The servers shut down in 2020, but I legitimately had no idea that this game ever existed.

Then the Fable reboot was announced in 2020.

Looking at those dates, I think it is quite fair to say that the franchise has actually remained quite active since the release of Fable 3, its just that the franchise hasn't exactly released anything of note.
I really wish they’d port Fable II to PC, it’s the only one I haven’t got and it’s the best one.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It’s the first honest thing they’ve said though, so I’ll give them that.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, this kind of echoes how I feel about Xbox. They've got all of these studios under their belt, and there are tonnes of games that they announced two or three years ago, but nothing to show for any of it yet.

But, apparently Xbox's next show will feature only footage that was captured in-game or in-engine. No vague CGI trailers in sight. So fingers crossed that this is finally where they turn things around.

I feel like you have misunderstood what was being said in that interview, if that was your takeaway. Admittedly, the wording wasn't exactly super clear.

That whole segment of the interview was basically Phil Spencer saying that making good games alone isn't going to suddenly make them "win" this console generation, but that they also need to make the rest of the Xbox ecosystem as attractive as possible - Gamepass, xCloud, multiplatform etc - to regain a foothold.

Its not a case of focusing on making good games, OR focusing on creating a good ecosystem, it is firmly a "yes, and".

For reference-

"I see commentary that if you just build great games everything would turn around. It's just not true that if we go off and build great games all of a sudden you're going to see console share shift in some dramatic way," Spencer said.

Although he said the problem was multifaceted, he chalked up most of it to “losing” last gen, which was a critical moment as that’s when people were building their digital libraries.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
"I see commentary that if you just build great games everything would turn around. It's just not true that if we go off and build great games all of a sudden you're going to see console share shift in some dramatic way," Spencer said.
See here is the thing. Yes, technically he is right on that point. But here is my counterpoint. IT WOULD BE A FUCKING START!

Sony isn't winning on good service, or a good online deal, or a great gamepass thing. They are winning because they've spent the last two generations making good games. Full fucking stop. Both next gen systems are fairly on par with each other in terms of capabilities, except for the series S thing fuck that garbage.

Personally I think Phil is very very wrong. Great games are what make and break consoles. There are some other factors like filling niche areas and services but Nintendo shows us that you can do both. They make great exclusives and also dominate a niche mobile market. It works so well for Nintendo that they aren't even in the same league as Xbox and Playstation.

Hell Playstation and Nintendo are already at the post war banquet eating good and Xbox hasn't been able to find the battlefield. It's hard to win a console generation when you don't even show up for the fight.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hell Playstation and Nintendo are already at the post war banquet eating good and Xbox hasn't been able to find the battlefield. It's hard to win a console generation when you don't even show up for the fight.
Yeah, Phil Spencer and Microsoft have just been making pathetic excuse after pathetic excuse for a long time. I'm not even going to watch the Xbox event. Whenever that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The Gorilla Collective indie showcase is ongoing as of this writing.

Or if you just want all the games featured

Reactions: CriticalGaming

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Some of my favorites from Guerrilla Collective. I feel bad about ignoring the event:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, most of the people I know with Xbox investment.... are using Gamepass on PC, don't even own an Xbox.

Its well past the point you can flog on the system being functional as a micro-pc/smart tv... .both with the advent of actual smart TVs and even if you don't have that a Roku stick is like 50 dollars or whatever.

As "ecosystems" go, Sony's also kind of smacking them with Discord integration (After MS literally passed on that, despite their wanton spending spree), and seemingly having a solid partnership with Apple (which lets them do stuff like playing remote on an iPad. Not the biggest feature to "proper gamers" but you'd be surprised at the appeal in the "casual" market that can have)

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
solid partnership with Apple
Not to mention that considering Sony is the only Pony trying to develop the VR market and Apple just unveiled some $3500 VR monstrosity upon the world, a VR partnership might be something worth having for both of them.