Gaming suggestions for a girl who loves RPGs?

Skull Bearer

Mar 6, 2012
Considering the old Baldur's Gate series has been remastered and updated, you could do a lot worse than checking out that classic!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
By the way, note that the person who's comment I quoted, said that Chrono Trigger was only released for SNES and DS. It was, however, also released for the PSOne - but I'm pretty sure he deliberately omitted that one because it sucks (crazy long loading times, even for simple thing like opening a menu).
Truth be told, I actually forgot about the PS1 version while I was typing that. In fact, isn't there also an ios version of the game as well? Or was that just the Final Fantasy games?

EDIT: Shoot! I forgot a couple of games!

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

Disgaea series (PS2-PS3)

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Check out the Suikoden series (Not sure if it was mentioned on here.) They are really good, simple and fun with good stories! Thefirst 2 are PS1 (But start with them) and then the rest are on the PS2. There are 5 in total, and all are good! 2 I think is usually revered as the best!

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
KitKatAttack said:
Wow, thank you for all the information, it's really kind of you!
Yeah, I tried Skyrim for about 20 minutes and then put it down(I know a lot of gamers will judge me for that) I just got so overwhelmed. I had a friend who loved Oblivion and with what you said about it really makes me want to play!

Yes, I've never tried Final Fantasy, growing up my parents were very strict about what games I could and couldn't play, they mostly only let me play sports games, crash bandicoot and spyro (my dad had a cow that sims did 'woohoo' and made me promise never to do it, I literally had to sign an agreement he had written up) I had so many friends who loved Final Fantasy and I wanted to try it so badly. But hey, I'm 18 and going to college now, so they don't really have input in what I play anymore, I'll definitely get one. I believe my brother has a copy of Borderlands: 2 so I'll try to borrow it from him. I've never read The Walking Dead comics or seen the show, but I'll look into the game. Oh and Sly 2 looks awesome! I totally want to get it. Thanks again for all the thought you put into this, I really appreciate it. :)
My pleasure. I kinda get carried away sometimes when I talk about video games. I just really like 'em. :p So glad my rambling could help.

And my parents were a little strict when I was younger too. Though it was primarily about M-rated games. Even then, they weren't nearly as bad as yours sound, since I could occasionally convince my mom to buy stuff like BioShock and Assassin's Creed for me anyway. My first was Oblivion, which I got through the tactic of proving that it was originally rated T anyway, and Patrick Stewart (I remember my mother saying "Oh, if it's got Patrick Stewart in it, it can't be too bad!") Regardless, it's mighty nice not worrying about what a game is rated anymore and just buying whatever interests me.
scorptatious said:
Arqus_Zed said:
By the way, note that the person who's comment I quoted, said that Chrono Trigger was only released for SNES and DS. It was, however, also released for the PSOne - but I'm pretty sure he deliberately omitted that one because it sucks (crazy long loading times, even for simple thing like opening a menu).
Truth be told, I actually forgot about the PS1 version while I was typing that. In fact, isn't there also an ios version of the game as well? Or was that just the Final Fantasy games?
I recall seeing Chrono Trigger in the Apple Store once.

The PS1 version of Final Fantasy VI also suffered from the crazy loading times Arqus mentioned of Chrono Trigger. Too bad that's the version I bought in both cases. DX< I wonder why that is though. Just the developers being sloppy with the ports, I guess?

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
Planescape:Torment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iblKGNtpEnE

Absolutely positively play Planescape:Torment if you want a compelling story of regret, moral uncertainty, player control and lack thereof, and all sorts of really thought provoking questions. Along with the theme of "what can change the nature of a man".You play an amnesiac man who has woken to find himself immortal and unable to die. The plot isn't some grandiose saga of beating the main villain but rather a personal tale of self discovery and redemption PS:T is considered by many to be the best story ever committed to a video game and with good reason. For it's compelling and thought provoking story that makes you the player think about their own actions and what they do to other people while introducing the player to a very large mythos.

Vampire:the Masquerade: Bloodlines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPf8eozg7Y

A very unique and Skyrim esque RPG in which you play as a fledgling vampire in modern Los Angeles who has suddenly entered a very vicious and confusing world of politics and intrigue. You are a small part of a very complex machine and the game reminds you of this constantly. You have to deal with vampiric weaknesses which adds a nice ammount of depth to the action based combat. With multiple ways to solve a problem it remains a very interesting and unique game.

Anachronox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxFkErFilDk

A western made JRPG with tounge planted firmly in cheek and with Sci-Fi sensibility Your main character is Sylvester "Sly Boots" Bucelli, a private investigator living on an artificial planet named Anachronox. Boots' current predicament is that he's desperately short on cash and in debt to a crime lord, one who intends to collect either the money or his life within days. In a last-ditch attempt to pay his dues, Boots takes a job to collect a MysTech artifact from Anachronox's depths, kicking off an adventure that will take him across the galaxy and expose a conspiracy to destroy time and space. It's a wacky game full of fun characters and charm.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
xbx360

Portal series
Dues Ex HR
Fable series
Mirror's Edge
State of Decay
I'm Alive
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning (Beautiful but lonely with no crew but it has interesting main and sidequests)
Jade Empire
Half Life 2
Remember Me
Assassins Creed, AC2,AC brotherhood, AC Revelations,AC4
Dishonored
Lost odyssey

PS2 some of these games are using the backwards compatibility of the system

GUN
Fatal Frame 1 and 2
Genji
Parasite Eve
Medal of Honor Underground
Final Fantasy 7 - 10
Galerians 1
Kuon
Siren
Silent Hill 1,3
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga Nocturne

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
KitKatAttack said:
Hi Escapists,

I'm in a gaming rut, I don't know what I should try next. I'd really appreciate some suggestions, in your opinion are there any essential games I'm missing out on? I really love RPGs, I don't mind games with a lot of violence as long as it has a compelling story line. I love the Dragon Age series, Mass Effect trilogy, L.A. Noire, KOTOR, GTA: IV and GTA: V. I've played a couple of CODs and have enjoyed some of the stories, just shooter games aren't my go-to for de-stressing and enjoyment. Since my childhood The Sims franchise has been my favorite game, but since EA sucks, I can barely play TS3 without crashing or freezing.

Thanks for taking the time to read and have a great day! :)

EDIT: I have a gaming PC, PS2, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and Gamecube.
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 enhanced edition, you'll love it. As enjoyable as Dragon Age is, Baldurs Gate easily blows it out the water. The world is huge, packed to the brim with content, has some of biowares greatest characters, tons of customization, many paths to solving quests and a truly epic storyline carrying your characters and party across both games.

Planescape torment, same reasons as BG, just the combat is very dated.

Fallout 1 & 2, less character driven on the party side, but again for the same open world-iness of BG. These were the golden days.

Mandatory Final Fantasy 4 to 10 and 12, my person picks being 9, 10 and 6. You can get the remake of 4 on the DS, 5&6 have GBA remakes and everything else for your PS2.

Given you have a Gamecube, I'd be doing a disservice not to mention Tales of Symphonia, the world is a little whimsical, and has a /tad/ of anime influence, but not overly so,(if you're not into that) it has a good fusion of JRPG narrative combined with action combat, it's a game I was had gotten a bit more exposure. Story has some pretty interesting twists and turns, and a colourful cast of characters.

Golden Sun was a really fun JRPG on the GBA and also has a sequel on the DS, the first one is highly enjoyable, but I've yet to play the second.

Kingdom Hears 1&2! Don't look at me like that. I know Disney crossed with Final Fantasy in an action rpg setting sounds awful, but it is so. fucking. good. Story goes a little of the rails with all the spin offs, but 1&2 are still very enjoyable and don't go insane.

Chrono Trigger DS. Play it, it's awesome, one of the best JRPGs in existence.

Lost Oddesy: Spiritual successor to Final Fantasy after everyone good left Square, traditional turn based combat, but you'll stay for the story, the characters are really well written, and the little side stories are incredible.

Darwinism

Jun 15, 2014
If you're going to get into any Infinity Engine game, like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment, you have to really buy into the ideas that you will have a pretty bad interface and that the core system is antagonistic as hell to people who don't understand it.

It's been said before but Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is an excellent game, though I'd recommend tracking down the unofficial patch before giving it a serious go. Good replayability and a really good game overall. Just... don't roll a Malkavian first, leave them for your second or third playthrough and then you'll have a much better grasp of the game and how crazy the character is. Brujah is probably the easiest clan to learn the system with.

Alpha Protocol is also a good game with some really solid decisionmaking that actually changes the game, just be forewarned that you make these decisions on a very short timer and the save system purposefully doesn't make it easy to scum the 'right' choice.

Neverwinter Nights 2 would not get my recommendation except for the absolutely wonderful expansion, Mask of the Betrayer. Mostly worth going through NWN2's fairly bog-standard-high-fantasy-YOU-ARE-THE-CHOSEN-ONE story just to have your own character in MotB, though.

Knights of the Old Republic 2, with the fan restoration project, is also a really solid RPG with a solid focus on how one person can define/fuck up the lives of a galaxy. If you've played KotOR and not KotOR2, pick up KotOR2.

Also literally laughing at loud at the person that said Tales of Symphonia has a 'tad' of anime influence (BUT NOT OVERMUCH) the game is literally Anime: The Game. It's fun as hell, but c'mon.

communist gamer

Jul 9, 2014
If RPGS are to your liking through those consoles out the window because you wont be using them. I'd suggest you start from the beginning so titles such as:

Planescape: Torment - personal favorite game of all time and considered one of the best RPGs ever
Fallout: all of it, just all of it
Arcanum
Baldurs Gate 1 and 2
Deus ex: first installment and human revolution, invisible war never happened
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines- DO EEEEET! great game, but DO NOT PLAY REDEMPTION, it's more of a hack and slash then a RPG and not a good one at that
Never winter nights 1 and 2 (mainly hordes of the underdark and masque of the betrayer): good, fun and perfect for starting you adventure
Mass effect 1-3- If you really dont have anything to do, i mean played all of the above and below, its fun, but not all that much a RPG
Jade Empire- fun little game, you like the orient? you will like Jade empire
KOTOR 1 and 2- fun, although I did not like it so much, but many do
Icewind dale- not really a RPG more like a hack and slash with RPG added to it, but its fun and stuff

The list goes on and on, but all of the above should have you set for a LONG while

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Try Valkyrie profile, any will do (there is three), but I suppose if you being a girl is supposed to be significant than go for the first one.

communist gamer said:
If RPGS are to your liking through those consoles out the window because you wont be using them. I'd suggest you start from the beginning so titles such as:

Planescape: Torment - personal favorite game of all time and considered one of the best RPGs ever
Arcanum
Baldurs Gate 1 and 2
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines- DO EEEEET! great game, but DO NOT PLAY REDEMPTION, it's more of a hack and slash then a RPG and not a good one at that
Never winter nights 1 and 2 (mainly hordes of the underdark and masque of the betrayer): good, fun and perfect for starting you adventure
Mass effect 1-3- If you really dont have anything to do, i mean played all of the above and below, its fun, but not all that much a RPG
Icewind dale- not really a RPG more like a hack and slash with RPG added to it, but its fun and stuff

The list goes on and on, but all of the above should have you set for a LONG while
Yuck. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
KitKatAttack said:
Fappy said:
You've already got a lot of the modern western RPGs covered on that list. How do you feel about JRPGs? There are some great JRPGs out there with awesome stories if you want some suggestions.

Persona 3 and 4 have huge female fan-bases for example.
I have no problem with them, I just haven't heard of many besides Final Fantasy, Ace Attorney or Pokemon, heh heh. XP(The later two I have played and enjoyed.)So, if I dive into JRPGs do you think I should start with Persona?
I have to agree with their suggestion of Persona 3 and Persona 4, and I would recommend just jumping into them. They're probably the best JRPG's I've ever played, and I say this as someone who was getting pretty sick of the genre by the time they came out.

You could go back to Persona 1 and 2 as well if you want, just know in advance that they're much different games, and not quite as accessible to a new player. There's nothing wrong with them really, they just have some weird quirks due to when they came out in the console timeline, and they're a lot different from 3 and 4. I'd say play 3 and 4 first, then if you're curious, go back to 1 and 2.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Chrono Trigger DS is an outstanding game. Its a JRPG, and a bit similar to Final Fantasy, but it has a combat system I found much more enjoyable and it thankfully lacks random encounters. It also has a very interesting stories with some good twists and characters that I thought was far better then most other JRPGs.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
KitKatAttack said:
Tamayo said:
If you like JRPGs, you can stand old WRPGs, and the very best of those is Planescape: Torment. If you can stand shooters, but like RPGS, and can stand awful graphics and voice acting, then do not miss Deus Ex.
Planescape looks awesome! Some of the critical responses to Deus Ex has made me hesitant to play, still a bit iffy about it, but maybe I'll give it a chance. Thanks. :)
A little late to the thread, but if you're looking at Planescape: Torment, I highly recommend getting it from Good Old Games (GOG). Same for Jade Empire.

Also, since your PS2 will play PS1 games, I will add a recommendation for Xenogears. I have long considered Xenogears the best video game ever made (Planescape: Torment holds the number 2 spot).

I will also nth the Persona 3 and 4 recommendations, as I loved them both.

But yeah, if you're gonna get Planescape: Torment or Jade Empire, get them on GOG for savings and DRM free-ness.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I would suggest Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (PS2), if you can find it; its the prequel to the first Valkyrie Profile (PS1)so your not missing out on any over-arching storyline, the lead character is a girl, the battle system is interesting, and grinding levels is actually fun.

I'd also recommend Suikoden Tactics (PS2), the sixth game in the series. Acting as a side-story to Suikoden 4, this SRPG feels more like the game 4 should have been (especially in the story department).

communist gamer

Jul 9, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
Try Valkyrie profile, any will do (there is three), but I suppose if you being a girl is supposed to be significant than go for the first one.

communist gamer said:

Arcanum
Baldurs Gate 1 and 2

Yuck. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Different strokes for different folks, true. But what i listed up there are the classics and games that are still considered much better then 99% of other stuff. If you want to play RPGs and get into the RPG community you should play. Also they are just good games, damn damn good good damn good damn and spoken very well of by most game journalists today

communist gamer

Jul 9, 2014
Och and one more important thing, remember that Jrpgs and rpgs are usually very different, in fact they are almost two different genres of games so if you like say planescape: torment and want to play more games like it, then JRPGs are not really the way to go, on the other hand if you are a fan of FF then you might not like baldurs gate or arcanum and any similar to them games