Gaming Unpopular opinion

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Sean Hollyman said:
-Dark Souls needs a pause button, but only for offline mode. I don't care if the hardcore nerds would complain because of 'MUH DIFFICULTY', a button to pause the action would alleviate so much stress and trim down so many deaths. No pausing for inventory though, just a total game pause.
You know you can log out any time outside of combat, right? And log back in to the same spot? Once I figured that out I didn't miss the pause button really.

Sean Hollyman said:
-I find KOTOR clunky and boring.
I never played it back in the day, and I tried playing it last year. I wanted to like it. But I just couldn't get through it, and I am one of the all time biggest Bioware fan boys.

I modded up the graphics the best I could, but it's not that the graphics are bad so much as the art style is just goofy looking. Weird eyes and lips and facial expressions. And most of the armor in the game is hideous.

And the combat feels dumb. Flip with light saber. Stand there for 3-4 seconds doing nothing. Then flip with light saber again. I know it's turn-based tactical combat, but it made it hard for me to feel like I was playing a badass jedi.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Kerg3927 said:
Sean Hollyman said:
-Dark Souls needs a pause button, but only for offline mode. I don't care if the hardcore nerds would complain because of 'MUH DIFFICULTY', a button to pause the action would alleviate so much stress and trim down so many deaths. No pausing for inventory though, just a total game pause.
You know you can log out any time outside of combat, right? And log back in to the same spot? Once I figured that out I didn't miss the pause button really.

Sean Hollyman said:
-I find KOTOR clunky and boring.
I never played it back in the day, and I tried playing it last year. I wanted to like it. But I just couldn't get through it, and I am one of the all time biggest Bioware fan boys.

I modded up the graphics the best I could, but it's not that the graphics are bad so much as the art style is just goofy looking. Weird eyes and lips and facial expressions. And most of the armor in the game is hideous.

And the combat feels dumb. Flip with light saber. Stand there for 3-4 seconds doing nothing. Then flip with light saber again. I know it's turn-based tactical combat, but it made it hard for me to feel like I was playing a badass jedi.

I tried playing KotoR again not long ago because I LOVED it at release on my Xbox and yeah, it's dated really badly. I mean I'm sure the story still holds up but it's clunky as shit.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Sean Hollyman said:
-The Mako in Mass Effect 1 is fun as hell to drive.
That's one I agree with. I never understood all the complaints about the Mako, I really enjoyed it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sean Hollyman said:

-MGS4 is dumb, gloriously dumb. It's fanservice to the max. Metal Gear games are at their best when mixing seriousness with complete absurdity.

Dark Souls: Not really a problem because as long as you haven't aggrod any enemies and you're hollow, all you have to do is find a relatively safe spot and park there. Dark Souls 2? Better be offline or in Majula....

MGS4: I'll agree it's pretty dumb and fanservicey. I'm just not sure that makes it work. I feel Snake Eater pulled off the Serious/Camp integration far better.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
infohippie said:
Sean Hollyman said:
That's one I agree with. I never understood all the complaints about the Mako, I really enjoyed it.
Me too. I also didn't mind the hammerhead, flimsy but speedy

Hatachi

Jan 17, 2014
I liked Dragon Age 2 better than Inquisition or Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm not saying 2 was amazing, but I always felt like I was just play a mediocre MMO with the lack of player interactions that make MMOs fun.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
infohippie said:
Sean Hollyman said:
A lot of it seemed to come from people who drove in a straight line to all the objectives and had to fight with it over the mountains. Why they didn't just use the map to plot a quicker and easier route was just puzzling.

My unpopular opinion is that the combat in the first Mass Effect was the best in the series. No matter my class or location I always had opinions available to me. For example as an Adept I could be untrained in shotguns but still pull one out and use it. Using a shotgun and high explosive rounds was very effective against Creepers on Feros when they got in close. I never felt restricted as any of the classes in ME1.

In the next two games the only class I felt was unrestricted was the Soldier, weirdly I never felt I was just repeating myself with it. Yet sitting behind a chest high wall with an Adept triggering biotic combos or Charge, Nova, Shotgun with a Vanguard soon got old as it felt I was being forced into repeating myself rather than it being a natural part of that class.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
votemarvel said:
infohippie said:
Sean Hollyman said:
A lot of it seemed to come from people who drove in a straight line to all the objectives and had to fight with it over the mountains. Why they didn't just use the map to plot a quicker and easier route was just puzzling.

My unpopular opinion is that the combat in the first Mass Effect was the best in the series. No matter my class or location I always had opinions available to me. For example as an Adept I could be untrained in shotguns but still pull one out and use it. Using a shotgun and high explosive rounds was very effective against Creepers on Feros when they got in close. I never felt restricted as any of the classes in ME1.

In the next two games the only class I felt was unrestricted was the Soldier, weirdly I never felt I was just repeating myself with it. Yet sitting behind a chest high wall with an Adept triggering biotic combos or Charge, Nova, Shotgun with a Vanguard soon got old as it felt I was being forced into repeating myself rather than it being a natural part of that class.
Personally that's why I prefer ME3's loadout system better. Shepard is an elite operative, they should know how to point and fire all these weapons effectively without putting ranks into them. ME2 was a steep over-correction in terms of the RPG elements that thankfully made up for that with better presentation in other areas.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
CannibalCorpses said:
Final Fantasy 6 isn't so good, 7 and 10 are the best in the series.
Come on my man, 9 is clearly the best!
Sadly i never really got to play 9 seriously...i think my console broke and i was too busy going out drinking and getting laid at that time to buy another one until it's time had passed ;)

OT Borderlands is a pathetic excuse for a game and the story is utter shit. For that matter, all item-based rpg grindfests are crap aswell (yeah, i'm looking at you Diablo and Torchlight...and pretty much every MMO out there).

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
votemarvel said:
infohippie said:
Sean Hollyman said:

Yeah, i can dig the Mako and i prefer the combat in the first game to what came after it. The second game pretty much destroyed any interest i had in the series...which is a shame because the first game got my hopes up for something special

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Overwatch was made for cringy and corny ass geeks that likes Cartoony Disney/Pixar/Marvel
Ok first of all, how the hell does Marvel work into Overwatch? Like, at all? Also, people who like Disney and Pixar? I think you just described around half of people in the western world, possibly more.

Samtemdo8 said:
without an ounce of grit
You talk about people liking something that isn't ultra edgy hardcore like that's a terrible thing.

Samtemdo8 said:
jacks off to the female characters because fan service
Oh please tell me more about how no one ever masturbated to World of Warcraft or Starcraft characters. I'll wait. You may not want to google Jaina Proudmore with safe search off. Same goes for Sarah Kerrigan.
Samtemdo8 said:
and the Memes, oh my goodness the fuckin memes :p
Five words. You must construct additional pylons. Two more words. Leeroy Jenkins. While I'm at it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Memes/BlizzardEntertainment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Memes/WorldOfWarcraft
Samtemdo8 said:
Overwatch was made for cringy and corny ass geeks that likes Cartoony Disney/Pixar/Marvel shit without an ounce of grit and jacks off to the female characters because fan service, and the Memes, oh my goodness the fuckin memes :p

Its art style almost triggers me as a guy that grows up with art style of the older Blizzard Games, We went from this epic, hyper-realistic and gritty look:

...Hyper realistic and gritty.

Ok, maybe in your book a pink lady with eyebrows that are about as wide as her fucking head are "realistic" and "gritty" but to me it's pretty cartoony. Even Starcraft has a lot of highly saturated colors and you're going to have to explain to me how aircraft that land and turn into ground combat units is realistic (and in anyway practical) along with magical brain powers, latex suit wearing assassins, an army that's made up nearly entirely of criminals (Apparently one Terran unit is considered to have below average concentration of convicts at around 42%. How the shit is Terran society not considered a failed state?), aliens with glowing swords and a magic half bug lady are realistic.
Samtemdo8 said:
To this colorful Disney/Pixar plagerized baby shit:

OH NO! COLORS! Why can't everything be brown, gray and black and utterly boring to look at!? Also, plagerizing? I forgot that Disney owned color.
Samtemdo8 said:
And the worse part is the mainstream gaming public didn't gave 2 shits about Blizzard except Blizzard fans until Overwatch came out
...Ok. I've been snarky up until this point, because your arguments were poorly founded, but now you've moved into the realm of pure objective incorrectness. The mainstream media didn't give two shits about Blizzard? I'm sorry, you're going to have to explain to me how WORLD OF FUCKING WARCRAFT, the biggest MMO OF ALL FUCKING TIME was such a niche property that flew under the radar. The same goes for Starcraft, which isn't as big, but is pretty big, big enough to be a national sport in Korea. And let's not forget Hearthstone, which single handily kickstarted a whole new generation of collectable card games. But no one payed attention to Blizzard until Overwatch? Did you sleep through the whole Diablo III DRM/auction house shit show? Because I didn't.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
STALKER is the greatest FPS series ever made but only due to the mod community.
Yaaaaaay! I share an unpopular opinion. Some of the mods kick ass- Call of Chernobyl was a blast.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
altnameJag said:
AAA games should cost more than $60.
I?m with you, so long as the higher price point is reflected in higher quality and it shows microtransactions, loot boxes and season passes the fucking door with a size 15, steel-toed combat boot bullseye?d to the anus after a 50-yard running start, and by ?door? I mean ?the plate glass window on the 44th floor of a skyscraper directly facing the gaping maw of a pit leading to the deepest level of hell.?

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
I'm going to follow up on my earlier statement with EA.

EA's Battlefront 2 lootbox scheme was not the biggest DLC ripoff of 2017. At best, I'd say third.

Second goes to Raiders of the Broken Planet. I do really like the game BUT they release new characters for prices currently up to $40 of in-game gold (which is excessively hard to get and $50 skins that you HAVE to pay actual money for. (Ginebara just got a $75 skin but I'm limiting it to what came out in 2017.)

First goes to Marvel Heroes Omega. Ignoring that it was a bland Diablo ripoff, everything worth getting cost real money up to new characters that literally cost $80.00 each.

Oct 22, 2011
B-Cell said:
Doom 2016 is best game of this generation and best FPS of decade.
uncharted, last of us are more of hollywood movies than games
Mafia 1 is best third person game in general ever made.
None of those are really that unpopular.

Alan wake is best third person horror action game ever
I can't agree with that for one reason: Alan Wake isn't scary. Like, at all. Those "not good" RE games weren't that scary either, but they did atleast provide a decent amount of gore and gross-out stuff, and some genuinely spooky enemies here and there(Regenerators).
That being sad, REVII does look like a good game, and NOT an Outlast clone, like someone tried to suggest.

OT: Iunno... "Fable" series was never good, i guess.

emissary666

May 6, 2009
-The FNAF series is legitimately good, but is famous/popular for the wrong reasons
-None of the Souls games are good (Bloodborne is great, though)
-The last good Battlefield game was Battlefield 2 and the last good CoD was 2
-Blizzard hasn't made a good game since Warcraft 3
-The Warriors series is one of the greatest game series
-Every 3D Zelda game is overrated
-Postal 2 is one of the best FPS games
-Hatred is good game with a brilliant marketing strategy

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
erttheking said:
Oh please tell me more about how no one ever masturbated to World of Warcraft or Starcraft characters. I'll wait. You may not want to google Jaina Proudmore with safe search off. Same goes for Sarah Kerrigan.
Hah, joke's on you! I did neither of those!

...I actually had a crush on Sylvanas in WC3...

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
erttheking said:
Samtemdo8 said:
jacks off to the female characters because fan service
And Tyrande Whisperwind, Valeera Sanguinar, Aleria Windrunner, Vereesa Windrunner, Tess Greymane (two for the price of one!), Inquisitor Sally Whitemane ad infinitum. Shit does anyone remember the small stir caused by 'that' video of Exarch Yrel after Warlords of Draenor came out? Fuckin' Pepperidge Farm remembers >.<

I'm with erttheking - Blizzard is not exactly a new hand at creating characters - male and female - who satisfy some serious fanservice checklists. Overwatch is just their new kid on the block.

Dat Halloween Mercy though.

Have mercy indeed.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
FoolKiller said:
The Last of Us is a mediocre FORCED stealth game that had a sloppy save system and didn't make sense in its own universe. The design is meant to force the player to play a certain way. I love stealth games but this just shit the bed. The game's design options were chosen and so there is a disconnect between the story and the gameplay.

But unlike some people here who I suspect are just trolling, I have defended this position since I got the game when it came out.

1. Joel's skills are really weak considering he has been surviving in the zombie apocalypse for 20 years. Why does he need to learn the most basic of survival skills?

2. Breakable weapons... I get it but make it realistic. Rotted wood will break when you beat a zombie with it. A steel pipe has less chance of breaking while you swing it than your shoulders being dislocated from the repeated action.

3. Lack of bullets
Forcing stealth is sloppy. Especially through this method. Odd though that people can shoot hundreds of rounds at me for ten minutes straight and then when I kill them and search a half dozen enemies I find three bullets. Does that mean if I waited 10 more seconds they would have run out?

4. Lack of bullets part 2
Why, when I have a backpack, can I only carry a handful of bullets until I upgrade that "skill"?

5. Save system
Why can I "manually" save but then it just reverts to the most recent auto save location?
Quick, someone send this post to Naughty Dog before TLoU2 goes Gold.