Gaming Unpopular opinion

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Mothro said:
FoolKiller said:
2. Breakable weapons... I get it but make it realistic. Rotted wood will break when you beat a zombie with it. A steel pipe has less chance of breaking while you swing it than your shoulders being dislocated from the repeated action.
Realism is a funny complaint. I have seen people complain that they can carry 6 swords, 12 helmets and so on because that's not realistic but being able to cast a fire spell apparently passes the realism test.
I think as long as it makes sense within the context of the game?s universe it?s ok. Swords and helmets are physical materials, and while I agree that there shouldn?t be item burdens when your stash can?t even be physically represented anyways, magic and other spells are something that?s conjured from within the character?s being. Usually these fantasy-based games are RPGs too, which will always have more leeway due to inventories being a big part of their design.

Now, if I?m playing Uncharted I wouldn?t be able to get into it as much if he could carry 8 guns and whatnot. I?ve always liked that what you see is what you get in that series, and others like it. I?ll let the treasures slide though as they are not bound to the actual gameplay.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
MrCalavera said:
[
Alan wake is best third person horror action game ever
I can't agree with that for one reason: Alan Wake isn't scary. Like, at all. Those "not good" RE games weren't that scary either, but they did atleast provide a decent amount of gore and gross-out stuff, and some genuinely spooky enemies here and there(Regenerators).
Yeah, I played Alan Wake and found it OK. The problem is that I've read plenty of King and don't find him particularly scary and the story feels very King-ish. Oh, and it's set in (not)Twin Peaks, without any of the things that makes Twin Peaks interesting.

It's a competent shooter and that's about it. But I could go play any of the Max Payne games and get the same gameplay and a setting/characters I actually like(even 3, which falls down on the story/character front but has good gameplay).

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Gordon_4 said:
votemarvel said:
A lot of it seemed to come from people who drove in a straight line to all the objectives and had to fight with it over the mountains. Why they didn't just use the map to plot a quicker and easier route was just puzzling.

My unpopular opinion is that the combat in the first Mass Effect was the best in the series. No matter my class or location I always had opinions available to me. For example as an Adept I could be untrained in shotguns but still pull one out and use it. Using a shotgun and high explosive rounds was very effective against Creepers on Feros when they got in close. I never felt restricted as any of the classes in ME1.

In the next two games the only class I felt was unrestricted was the Soldier, weirdly I never felt I was just repeating myself with it. Yet sitting behind a chest high wall with an Adept triggering biotic combos or Charge, Nova, Shotgun with a Vanguard soon got old as it felt I was being forced into repeating myself rather than it being a natural part of that class.
Personally that's why I prefer ME3's loadout system better. Shepard is an elite operative, they should know how to point and fire all these weapons effectively without putting ranks into them. ME2 was a steep over-correction in terms of the RPG elements that thankfully made up for that with better presentation in other areas.
I came into Mass Effect expecting a traditional Bioware game, having to level up my character to make them better. That's another reason I prefer Mass Effect 1, I felt genuine progression as I played through the game.

I've played through ME2 and 3, only levelling up to ensure I had all abilities available, and it felt no different to the play throughs I'd done where I'd used a save editor to give myself enough points to max everything out. The difference between a maxed out Shepard in ME1 and one with just enough points spent to have all abilities is night and day.

My issue with the loadout system in ME3, which is an unpopular opinion as most people seem to think it is the best system, is that again it's another push in favour of the gun based classes. Soldier just puts an ammo power on each weapon at the start of the level and they are ready to go and prepared for every situation.

Switch to an Adept though and you have to pick between effective weapon or effective power usage, as the weight system essentially forces you to pick one or the other.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
FoolKiller said:
The Last of Us is a mediocre FORCED stealth game that had a sloppy save system and didn't make sense in its own universe. The design is meant to force the player to play a certain way. I love stealth games but this just shit the bed. The game's design options were chosen and so there is a disconnect between the story and the gameplay.

But unlike some people here who I suspect are just trolling, I have defended this position since I got the game when it came out.

1. Joel's skills are really weak considering he has been surviving in the zombie apocalypse for 20 years. Why does he need to learn the most basic of survival skills?
Yeah, I was cheesed by the fact Joel apparently survived 20 years without the "Stab zombie in the neck" skill and the fact he can't be bothered to get a proper knife that won't break after 2 uses.

I got really done with the "get spotted once, get bum rushed by zombies" thing(which ellie can conveintly avoid), to the point I turned the difficulty down to Easy because I wanted to actually finish the game. I feel no shame because that meant I got to enjoy the parts of the game I liked(story/characters/setting) and I could put up with the annoying stealth bits.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ezekiel said:
Dropping run and gun action in favor of forced over the shoulder perspectives, iron sights and forced crouching is one of the worst things that happened to shooters, and I can't believe my fellow gamers embraced the slower foot movement and reduced field of views SO MUCH. The automation in today's games, especially for platforming, and the obsession with upgrade systems are also disgraceful. Tomb Raider could have been a freaking awesome action-platforming game. Instead, it's slow, sluggish, shallow and tonally embarrassing.
I really liked the Tomb Raider reboot for the first hour. Then what you said took over and I was relieved to be done with it. I never remember Tomb Raider Anniversary feeling like a frustratingly cringe-inducing chore to finish.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Hitman: Absolution was fine
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is the best Western game.
The entire Uncharted series is bland and mediocre.
Halo 3 has better multiplayer than any current-gen game.
DotA>LoL>DotA 2
Morrowind is incredibly overrated.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
The Just Cause games are boring, annoying, and generally pretty shit, especially Just Cause 3.

This is one I didn't know was apparently unpopular until recently: Mafia 3 is a really fucking great game, and I personally prefer it to Mafia 2.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
ReservoirAngel said:
The Just Cause games are boring, annoying, and generally pretty shit, especially Just Cause 3.

This is one I didn't know was apparently unpopular until recently: Mafia 3 is a really fucking great game, and I personally prefer it to Mafia 2.
I think the beef with Mafia 3 is that it launched in a completely broken state that I haven't seen since Rome 2: Total War.

Haven't heard anything bad about the gameplay and stories itself.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
ReservoirAngel said:

I think the beef with Mafia 3 is that it launched in a completely broken state that I haven't seen since Rome 2: Total War.

Haven't heard anything bad about the gameplay and stories itself.
I played it at release and the only 'broken' things I ever got were very, very rare (as in, only about a handful of times during the entire 64 hours it took me to finish it) were some weird graphical problems with Lincoln's jacket. Everything else worked fine. Guess some people weren't as lucky?

It's mostly preferring it to Mafia 2 that seems to render my opinion unpopular. Apparently people regard Mafia 2 as some really amazing experience but it was just kind of generic or dull to me when I played it. Mafia 3 just has a better story and characters. I could maybe see some complaints about the core gameplay being kind of uninspiring but then the same could be said for Mafia 2.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
-Sonic the Hedgehog is wildly overrated and doesn't deserve the franchise he has. The 2D games are good but don't come near to justifying the games that have come out since.

-Bioshock Infinite is racist. I mean I get it, it was suppose to be satire, but it gets bored of being a satire halfway through so it can have it's reality bending stuff, and so it turns into a game with all this racist imagery that neither focuses on it or tries to explore it in any meaningful way. I would never say someones a bad person for liking it, but's it's such lazy nothing satire.

-Survival games are the bane of my existence and I will continue to blame them for every game having crafting in everything now.

-David Cage has never made a good game.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Mortal Kombat is an overhyped series of mediocrity was only a handful of good games Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 being the best and being as popular as it is makes me sad as a 2D fighting game fan.
Agree with the user above that Morrowind is overrated.
Soul Calibur is boring.
Hats are not bad for Team Fortress 2, Valve letting cosmestics and effects get out of control is worse on the artstyle than the items themselves.
Pokemon is better with a narrative focus.
Crash Team Racing is better than the Mario Kart series.

Maybe I will post more later but I am a bit lazy and positing on a dead forum.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
pyrosaw said:
-Sonic the Hedgehog is wildly overrated and doesn't deserve the franchise he has. The 2D games are good but don't come near to justifying the games that have come out since.

-Bioshock Infinite is racist. I mean I get it, it was suppose to be satire, but it gets bored of being a satire halfway through so it can have it's reality bending stuff, and so it turns into a game with all this racist imagery that neither focuses on it or tries to explore it in any meaningful way. I would never say someones a bad person for liking it, but's it's such lazy nothing satire.

-Survival games are the bane of my existence and I will continue to blame them for every game having crafting in everything now.

-David Cage has never made a good game.
I mostly agree with you on Bioshock Infinite. The satire felt paper-thin, with no since of depth or meaning.

The XONE has no worthwhile exclusives aside from Cuphead and Killer Instinct. And speaking of a Microsoft console, the original XBOX library of games have aged worse. Too man shooters were on the system leaving other better, lesser known titles in the dark. Whichmakes you wonder why some these companies, the Japanese ones, didn't go over to Sony has their games might have done better and gotten more exposure. History repeated itself with the 360. The PS3 was guilty of this too; early on.

Naughty Dog either needs to do another Jak and Daxter, or something new all together. While do wish them the best of luck with Last of Us II, there is no need for a sequel. The original ended perfectly.

Because of whiny fanboys and "professional" critics, the lore of Street Fighter III will never go beyond it. For those that don't know, IV & V are prequels to III, but obviously take place after I, Alpha, and II. When VI does come out, hopefully Capcom can stop going back in time with the story, and move forward as there really is not much ground that can be covered at this point.

Game Grumps was never that good, and caused Egoraptor to get lazy as a content creator. And he ended shedding some things that made me lose respect for him, and revealed that he does not know what he's talking about most of the time. Also, some of his playthroughs are just as bad as Darkside Phil's. He blames stuff on the game when it's his own fault for not paying attention or ignoring obvious instruction. I've seen people try to defend this, but if it were Phil or almost any other person on YT, those same people would mock or attack them in an instant.

Assasin's Creed peaked at II and Brotherhood. Everything afterward is the same old shit.

Prince of Persia (2008) being a reboot wasn't the problem. Everything the player did was made pointless by the shitty ending, which you had to pay as DLC. Oh, and it was too easy. Thanks again, Ubisoft.

Mafia II was boring. Mafia 3, while better, is only so by comparison. At the end of the day, it's just another run-of-the-mill open world game with shallow stealth elements. The saving grace is the story, and the fact you're just not playing another generic Italian mobster.

GTA Online is the worst thing to happen to GTAV. And I've grown bored of the series after IV.

Sep 24, 2008
CoCage said:
Because of whiny fanboys and "professional" critics, the lore of Street Fighter III will never go beyond it. For those that don't know, IV & V are prequels to III, but obviously take place after I, Alpha, and II. When VI does come out, hopefully Capcom can stop going back in time with the story, and move forward as there really is not much ground that can be covered at this point.
Which I never understood, because even though it's my favorite Street Fighter and possibly favorite fighting game of all time... Street Fighter 3 on it's own sold terribly. [http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Street_Fighter]

Ono admitted that the Street Fighter 3 series alienated a lot of the fans [https://www.destructoid.com/ono-street-fighter-won-t-see-a-sfiii-style-reboot-as-long-as-i-m-involved--336523.phtml], and it took a decade and Evo moment 37 to get people into the game.

So why the hell does Capcom have this realization that SF3 might have a cult fan base, but have nothing when compared to sales of II... and still insisted on making two whole series be tied to SF3 by being prequels?

What is the logic? I really do not understand.

Ayame Murasaki

Crazy cannibal elf chick.
Mar 28, 2014
FFXII is the last good game made by Square.
Persona 3 is the worst Persona game by a long shot.
Triple Triad (FFVIII) is easier to comprehend and more fun than Tetra Master (FFIX).
Drakengard is fundamentally fucked up, and that's why I love it.
The Elder Scrolls series can go take a flying leap. Particularly Morrowind.

Come at me, guys.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Another one.

Doom 2016 have Good story for a game that is not story focus. probably better story that wolfenstein new order/colossus which is heavily focus on story.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
pyrosaw said:
You could also blame MMORPG's for that. Probably more-so, since frankly, there's a lot of bad/lazy design habits that developers have been adopting from MMORPG's in for the last few years.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ender910 said:
pyrosaw said:
You could also blame MMORPG's for that. Probably more-so, since frankly, there's a lot of bad/lazy design habits that developers have been adopting from MMORPG's in for the last few years.
I think DLCs and Lootboxes became a thing because of Blizzard.

The Burning Crusade came out, suddenly DLCs appearing everywhere in all games.

Lootboxes came to Overwatch, suddenly EVERYONE is doing Lootboxes and worse than Blizz because say what you will, Blizz's lootboxes is purely cosmetic. Unless in the case of Heroes of the Storm, is there a chance to unlock a Hero through Lootboxes?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
ooh, I have never found saint's row's (double postraf, wtf?) humour to be funny at any point. Instead rather quaint and predictable in its' attempts to be 'wacky' while still coming off as childish and derivative every other time. Low-brow high-school humour. And their car/weapon physics/handling are terrible, like playing with plastic nerf toys

*scampers into nearest cave squealing with depressed cynicism*

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
ObsidianJones said:
CoCage said:
Which I never understood, because even though it's my favorite Street Fighter and possibly favorite fighting game of all time... Street Fighter 3 on it's own sold terribly. [http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Street_Fighter]

Ono admitted that the Street Fighter 3 series alienated a lot of the fans [https://www.destructoid.com/ono-street-fighter-won-t-see-a-sfiii-style-reboot-as-long-as-i-m-involved--336523.phtml], and it took a decade and Evo moment 37 to get people into the game.

So why the hell does Capcom have this realization that SF3 might have a cult fan base, but have nothing when compared to sales of II... and still insisted on making two whole series be tied to SF3 by being prequels?

What is the logic? I really do not understand.

What I don?t understand is how Capcom could expect people to care about the story for this series to begin with. It?s about as generic and childish as you could get for an IP that has such a diverse following. To expand on my on-topic unpopular opinion for Street Fighter, pretty much the only thing it has going for it is the fighting system, and even then it?s incredibly convoluted and pompous. Hell even some of the inputs are practically impossible to consistently pull off without a joystick. Stuff like vertical half circles into reverse nine sixteenth?s, zig-zag finagling, holding multiple face buttons, etc.

Capcom should go back into the lab until they actually have standard controller-worthy gameplay mechanics, and music, stage design, voice overs, story modes, and overall content that wouldn?t make a Wisconsin dairy farmer blush 10 shades of red.