Gangnam Style - Questions and Thoughts

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So, by this point in time, you've heard that South Korean hit a few dozen times and seen someone try to dance as they do in the video. But, I'm wondering a few things:
- When did you first hear/see it?
- Do you like the song/music video?
- Have you tried doing the dance?

For me, I first heard it in this video a bit over a month ago:

I do enjoy the song and the music video for it, and yes, I have tried to do the dance several times.

Now you (be honest).

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
1) A month ago, in a part of Britain far, far away from the nearest chip shop.

2) OPPAN GANGNAM STYLE!

3) Yuppers. All our base are belong to Gangnam Style.

And remember, an Oppan Gangnam Style a day keeps the coffee away.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
30 seconds was more than enough, I heard it a few days after it went big.

Just a typical dance song that repeats itself a hundred times, it's nothing new or special.

Then again, what do I know? I don't even like the genre.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
-It was a LittleKuriboh video with him and other Abridgers doing the dance (with the music of course)
-Meh, not horrendous. I've listened to worse music but I've listened to a LOT better.
-No. I've only tried to copy the dances for 'Empire Today' and 'Hare Hare Yukai'. Here I don't like the song enough to even bother.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
So I'm apparently the only person who saw it when an Admin on 4chan stickied it to /b/'s first page a bit over 2 months ago.

Also to the other two questions, yes and yes.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I first heard it/saw the video a couple months ago on Reddit.

I do like it quite a lot - the song itself is pretty good, but the video is awesome. There's another song by PSY that I like quite a lot as well, called "Tree Frog".

I have not tried to imitate the dance, although I'm sure I will in the future, probably when drunk.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I saw it here, when I believe Sassafrass posted it a week after it came out (may have been shorter or longer than a week)

Yes I do, I have no idea what he's saying most of the time, but damn it, it's catchy, and I love the video

No, I haven't. I do know someone who has and can pull it off rather successfully though.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I heard it first about 2-3 weeks ago. It's a pretty damn catchy song and I don't really like the genre. I haven't tried the dance yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
-Saw it about... a month ago or so. My sister is a korea-phile(Strange as we're Southeast Asians but whateve's) so whether I like it or not, I hear news of these things
-Yea, I do actually. Catchy, funny and meme-tic. It's not a bad song for what amounts to viral comedy song. Video is utterly hilarious.
-Nah, I was never into that style of dance.

I dunno if it's off topic but have you seen the live version of this song

The pure massiveness of the arena and the fact that nearly every single person is singing along puts me into mind an Iron Maiden gig than a song by a chubby Korean Comedian.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I have not heard it yet...
I'm unfamiliar with the dance too...
I've heard of it but I haven't been curious about it, I mean I haven't clicked play on the videos here, don't know why, but I'm not curious, I normally am very curious so this is a strange happening.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
My friend showed me it. In all honesty, the video is why it's so damn popular. Without the video, it isn't all that special or all that good.

That being said, watching Graham dance to it at the Expo made my week.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I heard about it on the 9th of August. Here, to be precise. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT27Rf-WGXk]

I think it's safe to say I enjoy it.

Nope, because I know I can't dance. :D

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I love it...

seriously it makes me smile and the dancing is great..I think also becase I know its satire and not understanding the words probably makes it fun rather than stupid

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
1) Probably about 7 weeks ago when I was on holiday in Korea. :D It was being played on literally every street. I had heard it but it was when a Canadian guy in the same room in the hostel as me showed me the video that I really began to appreciate it.
2) It weirdly isn't getting old for me.
3) Yes, at about 4am in a nightclub in Seoul... and then multiple times in my kitchen while making cheese on toast.

It was really weird to come home to find it had gone massive here too.