Gangnam Style - Questions and Thoughts

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
I first saw it on YouTube before it became a huge hit. Back then, it only had like 2 millions views and was nr. 48 on the iTunes list in Denmark (where it has since been at the top several times).

It's funny. As a DJ i bought it and played it at a few gigs. Most people didn't get the idea. Fast forward 3 weeks, and it is still the most requested track i get :eek:)

As for whether or not i like the video: What's there not to like?

And finally, yes I'm doing the dance, thanks to the tutorial he gave Britney Spears!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I heard it quite a while ago now, though couldn't put an exact date.

I do, it's fun, catchy and just generally a good song and i'm happy it's become big as it certainly deserves it (it also made me wonder if South Korea has any other musical gems that will be shared with the world thanks to this).

Yes, of course I have.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
- Bout a month ago I think. It was sometime in August.
- As someone who doesn't really listen to music I think the song is catchy and the video is hilarious.
- Tried and failed :(

Also wow lots of negative people on the site (especially some of the users with lower post counts). Cheer up people :)

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
A friend posted it on his feasbook after he saw it posted on 4chan.

I love it.

Sort of, but I could have tried harder.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
1) Some time within the last two weeks. One of my subscriptions used the music in a video so I looked it up. I would post the video that introduced me to it, but I have no idea which video it was and can't be bothered to watch every video I've seen in the last two weeks.
2) I do not like it, I love it!
3)White guys can not jump nor dance. I am white. What do you think?

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
-Two days ago (Heard about it couple weeks ago)
-Nice song for the genre, I like it, good pump-up music
-Does sparing with my nerf sword to it count?

I'm still waiting to see the horses in the background moonwalk or dance along with the people. Or at least shuffle. Or are quadrupedal dance moves too much to ask for?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SlaveNumber23 said:
tautologico said:
Is LMFAO doing satire as well? Or is their music just as braindead as it seems?
I'm not going to lie, I can't really tell if that's just good satire or, as tauto said, just as braindead as it seems. Mostly because I have no other exposure to them, I suppose, but yeah. A video like that could easily go either way.

OT: A few weeks ago. I don't remember the exact day, but I think I had been reading about it for a few days and finally listened to it when it was linked in a post here on the Escapist.

I've listened to it a few times since then.

No, I haven't tried to do the dance, mostly because I'm out of shape and couldn't dance regardless, but watching Graham do the dance during the Expo was probably the greatest thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
-I don't fucking remember
-I hate it so fucking much oh my god I wish it would be wiped from the face of the earth please kill me and it now please please kill it it it sucks
-OH FUCK NO

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
1: Don't know where I found it, but a month or so ago.
2: I don't like the song, but the video is goofy as fuck, which I think is why 90% of people like it
3: I've never tried it, and I'm sure I can't. I can't move my arms and legs (to a certain rhythm) at the same time (the same reason I can't swim). and I would probably hurt someone(myself and maybe more) if I tried to do the shuffle-move-thing he does.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
1) Watching the Escapist Expo Q&A 2.

2) Meh. The Yes Dance is much better.

3) No again I'd rather do the YES Dance.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
1. Friend linked it to me.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, and continue to do so. Because I want to be able to travel like that.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
1) About 2 weeks ago, I wanted to see what the fuss was about.
2) Song is great, the pre-chorus melody is really nice and the video is awesome. The bassline is pretty unique as well and definitely better than the modern mainstream dance music from the west these last few years.
3) Yeah, you got a problem with that?!

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
I haven't seen the original clip, nor any of the parodies, and I've heard about 10 seconds on the radio before I switched stations with a very loud "what the fuck is that shit?"

I've heard even less 1 dimension, justine beiber and that oompa loompa chick who thinks she can sing. Guess I'm musically lucky at the moment.

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
soren7550 said:
- When did you first hear/see it?
- Do you like the song/music video?
- Have you tried doing the dance?
- About 12 days ago. I had been wondering what this whole Gangnam thing was all about but didn't get around to it until it was shown to me by someone.
- It's pretty good. Probably mostly due to the fact that I've heard the song like four times so I haven't got sick of it like I'd imagine many have.
- Yes, the first time I heard it. Good thing I kind of knew the moves thanks to all the gifs.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
>No clue
>Nothing new, video was awesome.
>Sure, it's about the easiest dance ever.

Overall it's just the same garbage 4/4 pop song, only then overhyped.