Gary Gygax Dies

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Unfortunately Gary Gygax was not blonde, female, or a train wreck. These, of course, being the elements that comprise the formula for a killer media send-off. That said, we can all take comfort in the fact that his deep influence on pop culture will undoubtedly outlast the flavor of the week that was Anna Nicole Smith.

General Ma Chao

Jan 2, 2008
The Wizard I am making for a session this weekend will be named Gygax in his honor. RIP Mr. Gygax and thank you for the hours of fun and creative entertainment you helped to bring us.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Archon said:
Is there any doubt that the work of TSR in the '70s paved the way for the blossoming of video games in the '80s and '90s?
None at all. D&D provided inspiration for Adventure, eventually leading to both the Rogue-likes (down to modern versions like Diablo) and the near-defunct old-school Adventure genre. D&D spawned the Gold Box games, the Ultimas, and western RPGs in general. D&D was the grandfather of JRPGs, being console-targeted versions of the early western RPGs. And D&D was a primary inspiration for MUDs, leading straight to MMORPGs, as an attempt to capture the multiplayer experience of D&D sessions.

In many ways, Gygax is to computer games what Tolkien is to the fantasy genre.

(19)

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson were to gaming what Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were to comics.

Thanks, Gary. I'll always be grateful for what you've helped to create.

(1)

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
there is a news article on the front page where this can be discussed.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.55260

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Forget mass media, I just hope that the gaming community notes his passing. It would be truly sad if that didn't happen.

(9. Really hoping for a twenty :( )

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
General Ma Chao said:
I'm naming the Wizard I just created for a weekend session Gygax in his honor.
Now I'll do it too. Thanks for the idea.
Edit: Someone please edit the title to get his name right. I mean come on.

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
5 (but I only had a d6). He filled the chasm between the Ataru 2600 and the PC, and was the cause of several friendships of mine.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
There is a bigger post of this on the news thread if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.55260

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Everyone raise your Funions and Mountain Dew in honour of a true God of Nerd-dom. He's looting angels now.

(14)

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
There's a movement to build a mausoleum for Gary in the shape of the Tomb of Horrors. I can't help but grin at the idea.

RIP, Gary.

-- Steve (is diceless at work, so no saving throw vs. maudlin thoughts alas.)

Zessy

Mar 5, 2008
I heard about this from my Mom yesterday. NPR had a report on him, and one of the things that they mentioned was that Gary was always willing to play a game with a fan he just met. His game has brought together countless people, and even if the mass media says nothing, I will say this: "Thanks Gary."