GATTACA is here...

Aegwadar

Apr 2, 2009
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/HomeMortgageSavings/99000-to-see-your-future.aspx

If you have $99k sitting around you can have your genome mapped! Four or so companies offer a full genome map that can reveal your true past of your genetic history, your chances for certain diseases and a host of other services. This looks like GATTACA to me; and they say it will start to become cheaper and more widely available in the near future.

Isn't the future fun!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
darksusano said:
Pardon my ignorance but whats GATTACA?
A film where people are geneticly screened at birth and before to create perfect people. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/plotsummary

Very good film, and GATTACA are all the letters of the human genome, it's clever like that.

We follow a someone who was created the normal way and hasn't got that done, he has big risks of bad stuff happening and we see him try to achieve his ddreams.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
darksusano said:
A movie where in the world they lived in everyone was judged based on their genes. the point of the movie was that we weren't determined by our genetics and that doing so was bad so I fail to see how this is a step in the right direction.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
darksusano said:
Basically it's a movie where who you are is defined by your genetic code. It rigidly dictates exactly what jobs you can take and when you will die, etc etc.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
It's about a non-optimized person (called an "invalid") who wants to become an astronaut and fakes an optimized identity. It's pretty cool albeit very bleary and a bit slow-paced. But I like that about Gattaca. It grants you the time to think about this near-future dystopia.

Sneakist

Apr 12, 2009
That's really interesting, although I think MSN describing it as "seeing your future" is a bit much.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
darksusano said:
It's from a movie set in a future not very far away that deals with genitical ethics.
In the movie,the good jobs are taken by the "superior" genetical elite while the rest of the "natural" born are prone to disease and are doomed to stay lower class,barely even considered citizens.

Ninja'd >.<

lozzab

Feb 21, 2009
Well discrimination based on genetics is illegal unless I'm mistaken, so a think we're a fair way from that yet. Besides, we know so little about the majority of the genome it's just a conversation point for the rich at the moment I guess - though I have heard that a new technique they're developing is expected to drop the price massively, like down to £1000 in 10 years or something incredible...

NDWolfwood5268

Dec 3, 2008
black lincon said:
darksusano said:
A movie where in the world they lived in everyone was judged based on their genes. the point of the movie was that we weren't determined by our genetics and that doing so was bad so I fail to see how this is a step in the right direction.
I don't know if he was being serious, I took it as sarcasm. I see it as disturbing sort of...

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
All I need now is money and I can get my genome mapped. I better start looking for spare change. But if it turns out to be like GATTACA then we will all be considered invalids.

NDWolfwood5268

Dec 3, 2008
lozzab said:
Well discrimination based on genetics is illegal unless I'm mistaken, so a think we're a fair way from that yet. Besides, we know so little about the majority of the genome it's just a conversation point for the rich at the moment I guess - though I have heard that a new technique they're developing is expected to drop the price massively, like down to £1000 in 10 years or something incredible...
We actually know a lot about the human genome, it's the fine details that elude us. People like to think humans are dumb. Mystery makes it interesting I guess... Truthfully, we know a good amount, and humans do utilize all of their brain, just not at once.

SCIENCE! It works, bitches! http://xkcd.com/54/

Aegwadar

Apr 2, 2009
Sneakist said:
That's really interesting, although I think MSN describing it as "seeing your future" is a bit much.
Yeah, its the hook to get you too read it. I would say at the most it tells you your best chances of what might happen to your BODY in the future.

Bibliomancer

Apr 17, 2009
Here in the US, they recently passed a law so that people can't be denied work based on genetic profiling. So no Gattaca yet.