Gawker.com to Shut Down Next Week

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Janichsan said:
While Gawker more than rightfully got what it deserved, let's not forget that Hulk Hogan still was fired from the WWE for spewing racist diatribe, and that his financial supporter Peter Thiel is a bigot neocon with anti-democratic tendencies.

This is a story without heroes.
This. Still, I won't miss the average Gawker headline and its shameless hyperbole.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Karadalis said:
Sorry, but you won't be able to paint Hogan as a poor sacrificial lamb that did no real wrong.

It doesn't matter whether he gave the insult lengthy consideration or acted instinctively out of hurt feelings, since neither alternative puts him into a better light.

If he wanted to express his anger about his daughter's boyfriend, he could have had thousands non-racist ways to do this. The English language is rich on wonderful scathing insults. I don't know much about this Stacks guy, but I assume Hogan could have found a lot to mock about him: his voice, his musical talent, his way of dressing, his driving skills, his dick size, whatever.

But instead, he picked the lowest possible way to insult him: a racial slur.

Not ironically. Not in jest. But in full seriousness and with the full intent to denigrate Stacks because of his tone of skin.

That's pretty much the text book definition of racism. Period.

And Hogan knew that.

He said so himself.

I will admit that there are no other (known) examples of Hogan expressing racism or acting racist. But how much do we really know about Terry Bollea? Not the public persona "Hulk Hogan", but the private person? Hogan is not dumb. He knows (and knew) that expressing certain mindsets could cost him his career (as it in fact happened). Farfetched? You'd be surprised how many people are actually two-faced: acting all nice and agreeable on the outside, but when you actually get to know them, you'd find them to be the most despicable arseholes.

You said it yourself: Hogan felt safe when he made his rant. He was among (alleged) friends, felt unwatched, according to you in a vulnerable state of mind, and just had boned his friend's wife. When if not in such a situation can you see how a person truly is? What you have seen and heard there is probably the purest glimpse of the real Terry Bollea you can get.

Is everything just black and white?

No, it isn't. I might have to remind you that this was exactly what I expressed in my initial post. Hogan was wronged by Gawker, but he is far from being a blameless victim.

And that's all I have to say about this.

FriedRicer

Sep 19, 2010
No. People do not say stuff like Hogan all the time behind closed doors. I wish a non-Peter reason had shut down Gawker tho'.
Like really , I get angry at someone so I just start calling them by a group slur? That just doesn't even make any sense.
Like I argue with a Spanish person , and when a talk about it with my friends - "So the spic says..." , how does that follow?
I wont say that people who do that are maliciously racist , but to actually hear that such a thing should be expected is points of in my book.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
FriedRicer said:
No. People do not say stuff like Hogan all the time behind closed doors.
The heck plane of existence do YOU live in? There's an entire branch of psychology based around the idea that people act differently among others than they do in private areas. Freaking A, Persona 4 was pretty much nothing BUT that idea thematically speaking!

Shoot, just ask retail workers. All smiles and cheers when talking to customers, but wishing a pox on the family of that jerkoff who keeps leaving ice cream on the bread shelves.

FriedRicer

Sep 19, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
FriedRicer said:
The heck plane of existence do YOU live in? There's an entire branch of psychology based around the idea that people act differently among others than they do in private areas. Freaking A, Persona 4 was pretty much nothing BUT that idea thematically speaking!

Shoot, just ask retail workers. All smiles and cheers when talking to customers, but wishing a pox on the family of that jerkoff who keeps leaving ice cream on the bread shelves.
Key-Words [All the time....like Hogan] Also the bulk of my post was about the content rather than its existence.

I did work in retail - and I was 1st in my district. And it wasn't in a High-income area(Bronx). And I got stories....
But , I never went back to my block going racially slurring a customer. Not once. Asshole maybe. Dick , sure. etc etc.
But ******,******,queer,spic,cracker,guido,jew, etc never came up. And if I can be born where I was an avoid all of that(slurs) when a customer is angry and threatens to kill me , or tries to stab my eyes out, or sell crack, or hold me up etc... in private
Then yes I can look down on someone who brings it up(slurs) in discourse - even if it was at home.

The breach in privacy was criminal and I am glad the criminals got what they deserved - fuck Gawker.
But the rhetoric that "everyone" speaks like that is bullshit. Stop justifying your crap by inflating me and others
into your ranks.

Tell me, Why is my vocabulary (in anger) lacking the racist bias?
Will I ,in private, start to call my daughter's boyfriend a "spic/cracker" if he upsets me?

If it sounds like I'm a bit angry it's because I've already had to deal with being painted in a broad stroke.
But I'm not gonna get added in with Hogan just because people want to feel good about themselves.

TLDR: Screw Gawker, but if you say my words takes a shift similar to Hogan when I'm in private - you're buggin'.
By "you" I mean people that say similar things.

lord synfel

Aug 3, 2016
TheLaughingMagician said:
FalloutJack said:
The only way this could have been better was if Sgt. Slaughter had done it, allowing us to say that Gawker was taken down by GIJOE!
Nah man, the Iron Sheik would have been better. Except for the idea that there's be an Iron Sheik sex tape. *shudders*
goddammit man!!! that is stuff of heavy drug nightmares!!

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I love that Gawker is gone. but who will fill the void, there is always someone to fill the void.

What foul thing will emerge from the void to fill the gap?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Given how salty some of the employees like Jason Schrier have been I expect fast food fries to become loaded with sodium from the tears of mediocre "journalists" for a while.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
The Enquirer said:
Well as it turns out Hulk Hogan still has the ability to take down huge opponents for good.

More a case of Gawker being even bigger Heels than Hollywood Hogan was. And that's a FEAT, ladies and gents.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
FalloutJack said:
The only way this could have been better was if Sgt. Slaughter had done it, allowing us to say that Gawker was taken down by GIJOE!
I think Duke kicked him out when Slaughter allied himself with Saddam Hussein. Going with tyrnanical dictators is probably a deal braker with the Joes.

Nov 28, 2007
Samtemdo8 said:
So Kotaku finally go bye bye?
Nope. If you read the article, Kotaku and the other sister sites will keep going along, it's just Gawker getting shut down. That said, with Gawker gone, there will likely be a change in the corporate structure for Kotaku, which will likely affect the site.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
some things... just make me happy.... and how ironic it's bought by the onion.....

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
FriedRicer said:
And neither does Hogan. We know that he said it ONCE. Over the many years since that recording noone could provide any evidence of him doing it more than once. So your all the time qualifier is incorrect.

FriedRicer

Sep 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
FriedRicer said:
And neither does Hogan. We know that he said it ONCE. Over the many years since that recording noone could provide any evidence of him doing it more than once. So your all the time qualifier is incorrect.
That qualifier was taken from another poster - and the context was different than the one you are using.
But if we are to get semantic , you can't say "And neither does Hogan." because iirc there are no other private recordings of him in his "element". Although I agree that one recording isn't always enough to gauge an individual.

I also never suggested Hogan said spoke like that all the time(public or privately) either.

Lastly , saying it once is one more than me, so my statements still stand - if racial slurs are a normal when a your're angry...
I'm gonna look down on ya.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
TheLaughingMagician said:
FalloutJack said:
Nah man, the Iron Sheik would have been better. Except for the idea that there's be an Iron Sheik sex tape. *shudders*
The Camel Clutch can also be used in bed...

Also: