Gay Scene Cut From UK Torchwood

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
I'm not british, but I watch BBC a lot, and a lot of movies get some content cut out; I remember pointing out certain moments to friends only to notice it's not in there.
Anyhoo, I think it has more to do with tv primness in general than homophobic tendencies.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
TimeLord said:
Quote from The Sun newspaper (sorry, only source I could find)

One of the most sexually explicit scenes ever filmed for a TV drama has been torched from Torchwood.

Bisexual Captain Jack Harkness has a gay romp with a barman. The scene, which includes shots of Jack's naked bum, was filmed for the third episode of Miracle Day would have gone out 20minutes after the 9pm UK watershed.
It has already been shown on the US cable channel Starz, which co-funded the drama. But shocked Beeb bosses have cut it from the BBC1 version, fearing an avalanche of complaints from viewers.

Last night, the BBC confirmed the scene had been axed along with another gruesome scene later in the series.
Apparently the BBC and Starz have "very different audiences" according to the BBC.
While the BBC maintain that this doesn't change the story in the slightest, I am rather offended that the show has to be toned down for us British. The sad thing is, if it was aired in the UK then there probably would be complaints.
There would be too in the US if it was aired on one of your major broadcast networks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BBC stations (I know there are at least 3 and a kids channel) are like the US's ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW... broadcast networks beamed in via antennae or basically free w/ any cable package.

Starz is a premium channel, like HBO, Cinimax and Showtime. They are only available on cable/satellite and users must subscribe and pay extra per month. Since they have those safeguards, they are able to show extreme (by many standards) nudity and violence compared with broadcast and regular cable channels, any time of the day.

If that scene had showed on a major broadcast network, they're would be a shit storm 10x worse then anything the UK complainers could do.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
orangeban said:
Verlander said:
orangeban said:
Verlander said:
It wouldn't have had complaints. How can you say that when every TV soap resorts to a gay love story the second ratings drop even slightly?

Fact is however, Torchwood is a show with a large younger audience, and anything overly graphic would have been cut. Hence the violence as well. The US is a different culture and I can't comment on the viewing age of something like Torchwood.

It's a bit ridiculous Torchwood have had to do this at all. I understand that ratings were poor, but this is a pretty sad attempt to boost it's profile. How very Eastenders

EDIT: And, as someone has also mentioned, the US Channel is subscription based, as opposed to the primary public broadcaster of the entire country
Huh? Torchwood has featured gay people from the start, this isn't some new thing designed to boost ratings. And it's aimed at older audieneces, 15+
And it might of had complaints, post 9pm but before 10pm is supposed to be fit viewing for 15+ and I can see how parents might not want their 15 year olds seeing a sex act.
I get the feeling you misread what I wrote. I was slating the "overly graphic" nature of the cut scene. In fact, by pointing out that it was openly homo-friendly, you have helped prove my initial point.
Oh, okay, fair enough then. I was just saying that I don't think the gay sex scene is an attempt to raise ratings, more part of Captain Jack's character, but I guess we won't see till the episode comes out.
True. It also might be the American influence, now that half of it is outsourced over there

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Mandalore_15 said:
spartandude said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Not a big deal. Stuff like that is almost completely unnecessary in a sci-fi show, and seeing as gay people are in the minority, it makes sense to go with what the majority audience would want.
not that long ago the majority of people wanted homosexuality to be illeagle
There is a world of difference between making something illegal and not showing it on TV at 9:20pm... ('¬_¬)
my point was do we always go with what the majority of people want?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
spartandude said:
Mandalore_15 said:
spartandude said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Not a big deal. Stuff like that is almost completely unnecessary in a sci-fi show, and seeing as gay people are in the minority, it makes sense to go with what the majority audience would want.
not that long ago the majority of people wanted homosexuality to be illeagle
There is a world of difference between making something illegal and not showing it on TV at 9:20pm... ('¬_¬)
my point was do we always go with what the majority of people want?
And the majority don't even want gay sex on TV censored I'd be willing to bet, straight doesn't mean grossed out by gay people remember, and the world is getting more and more liberal.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
orangeban said:
PunkRex said:
orangeban said:
PunkRex said:
Dags90 said:
Stormpigeon said:
As proved by the whole "Heinz Beanz" advert thing (for those who don't know, two gay guys kissed in the advert, about 10 people complained, it was axed, and THOUSANDS complained that it had been axed) I'm fairly sure the UK is ready for something like this.
Over 200 people in Britland complained that this ad was "offensive".

It's ridiculous. People are just scared they might actually find John Barrowman's bum attractive.
People in Britain are soooooooo scared of being seen as offensive its actually kind of funny. 200 people is nothing, this advert is awesome, the BBC are idiots, only old people still watch BBC channels... which is proberly why this was seen as offensive.
Only old people watch BBC channels? Bwuh?
Look, people watch the BBC for many reasons, maybe for it's news, which at least tries to be impartial and unbiased. I would confidently call it the best news channel in the world, but that's just my opinion.
They also watch it for excellent TV shows, such as Doctor Who (which is watched by millions for goodness sake) and Top Gear (which is hardly catered towards old people).
And what about CBBC and Cbeebies? Both sections of the BBC aimed squarely at kids. Your comment is very odd.

I don't see how British people are scared of being seen as offensive. Never heard of that before.

And the Torchwood episode was censored because it was being run too early to have sex scenes in it, not because the sex scenes were of a homosexual nature.
Guy its 20 minutes after watershed, anythings fair game.
As for the BBC, yeah its news is the best in the world... proberly, I havnt seen to many other news channels in different countires. I know the BBCs got alot of stuff going on, many of which is good, I was just "spouting", I take it back.
Well, thanks for being a good sport about it, but I will say that things are only "fair game" after 10pm, at 9pm things get a little more mature, but there is still an age rating. Someone above has the details in their post.
Oh, ok my bad, I always just assumed water shed meant adult time. Anyways, as you seem like a fun person to "debate" with, what I meant by "scarred of being seen as offensive" is the way media/news seem to explode over such petty things. I mean look at the Russel Brand/Johnathon Ross thing or the Gordon Brown biggot recording. I know these people are suppose to be an example to others what with them being in the lime light but the newspapers and TV went mad for aaaaaaaages. Its was so stupid, yes they shouldnt have said it, they bloody apologised, I dont see why these were head line news.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
TimeLord said:

One of the most sexually explicit scenes ever filmed for a TV drama has been torched from Torchwood.

Bisexual Captain Jack Harkness has a gay romp with a barman. The scene, which includes shots of Jack's naked bum, was filmed for the third episode of Miracle Day would have gone out 20minutes after the 9pm UK watershed.
It has already been shown on the US cable channel Starz, which co-funded the drama. But shocked Beeb bosses have cut it from the BBC1 version, fearing an avalanche of complaints from viewers.

Last night, the BBC confirmed the scene had been axed along with another gruesome scene later in the series.
Apparently the BBC and Starz have "very different audiences" according to the BBC.
While the BBC maintain that this doesn't change the story in the slightest, I am rather offended that the show has to be toned down for us British. The sad thing is, if it was aired in the UK then there probably would be complaints.
So you compared Gay sex to a "Gruesome scene" ohhhh I thought you were better then this
The newspapers words, not mine. You thought The Sun was better than this? Where have you been for the last 10 years or so?

ravensheart18 said:
TorchofThanatos said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Jack being gay is kind of the entire point. It is not completely unnecessary because Torchwood try's to be a character driven show. Extra Credits did a episode on adding extra depth to characters. This is the same thing but in a TV show. Also this is not the first sex scene in this show. Jack has made out with guys before and other characters did it (this might be the first gay sex scene though, I don't know).
Jack is not gay, he's "flexible" (as The Doctor put it).

Gender doesn't matter, species doesn't matter.

He is sex crazed and puts out phermones beyond that which "old fashioned" humans like us do, which is why so many people react to him.
The term Jack uses to describe himself is Omnisexual, which is another name for pansexual. Which is basically what you said, gender and species don't matter.

Brockyman said:
TimeLord said:

There would be too in the US if it was aired on one of your major broadcast networks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BBC stations (I know there are at least 3 and a kids channel) are like the US's ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW... broadcast networks beamed in via antennae or basically free w/ any cable package.

Starz is a premium channel, like HBO, Cinimax and Showtime. They are only available on cable/satellite and users must subscribe and pay extra per month. Since they have those safeguards, they are able to show extreme (by many standards) nudity and violence compared with broadcast and regular cable channels, any time of the day.

If that scene had showed on a major broadcast network, they're would be a shit storm 10x worse then anything the UK complainers could do.
You have to pay for the BBC via a television licence. The worst part is that even though you don't need to pay a licence fee to watch ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, BBC 1 and BBC 2 are forced on any TV set. So basically, instead of a licence to watch the BBC, it's a licence to own a TV.

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
Can someone explain to me the logic of writing to the BBC in anger just because they showed a gay scene? What the fuck? What is offensive about it? That homosexuality exists is offensive or what?

I think it would be much better if these apparently scandalized viewers would just deal with it. It's not the BBC's fault they are tight arse puritans or homophobes.

Cleo Cowdrey

Apr 14, 2011
That's sad. It may not totally be necessary but if it was written into the show then it was obviously important in some small way. In my opinion its jack's within character. This show has always been a lot grittier that Dr Who and is quite obviously aimed at a much older audience, i don't see the problem here.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Azrael the Cat said:
Should note 2 major points:

1. The 3rd episode of Torchwood hasn't been screened yet in the USA (the article is wrong on that point). It gets screened 2 days from now in the US (9 days in the UK).

2. Numerous gay sex scenes have been shown on the BBC, including previous seasons of Torchwood. The BBC (like most western TV outside the US) is MUCH more liberal than US television when it comes to sex and nudity, though more likely to censor violence. The issue here is that Torchwood has been moved to an earlier timeslot than previous seasons. In the past, it has been a 'post-watershed' timeslot show, hence giving it a free reign with sex and nudity. The issue with sex isn't that it involves gay sex (gay characters/sex aren't even vaguely controversial on UK tv), but that it is before the watershed.

Britain basically runs a 2-tier system for tv ratings restrictions. If it is before the watershed timeslot for that day, it has to be family friendly - can still have gay characters and gay sexual innuendo (e.g. during Russel T Davies' stewardship of Doctor Who), but no explicit sexual nudity. If it is after the watershed, you can show pretty much whatever you like. Sometimes you get shows where the watershed falls in the middle, and you get a hilarious mid-show upscaling of sex and nudity:).

The Torchwood issue has nothing to do with any general conservatism on UK TV - it's purely a timeslot issue.

In any event, contrary to what the article says the episode hasn't been screened yet.
Quoted for absolute fucking truth.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I think we should complain. I liked it the last time we did that. There was that time when someone got like 3 complaints for swearing on the radio and they got into massive trouble, so loads of us wrote complaints about how we were offended by their lack of swearing on desert island disks. It didn't work, but I got to send an email to the BBC with the word 'arsebollocks' in it, so I'm calling it a win.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Yeah, a sex scene is kind of unnecessary. And it's a much safer choice to just remove it. Because people all across the land will complain, a lot.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
TimeLord said:
Saviordd1 said:
TimeLord said:

So you compared Gay sex to a "Gruesome scene" ohhhh I thought you were better then this
The newspapers words, not mine. You thought The Sun was better than this? Where have you been for the last 10 years or so?

ravensheart18 said:
TorchofThanatos said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Jack being gay is kind of the entire point. It is not completely unnecessary because Torchwood try's to be a character driven show. Extra Credits did a episode on adding extra depth to characters. This is the same thing but in a TV show. Also this is not the first sex scene in this show. Jack has made out with guys before and other characters did it (this might be the first gay sex scene though, I don't know).
Jack is not gay, he's "flexible" (as The Doctor put it).

Gender doesn't matter, species doesn't matter.

He is sex crazed and puts out phermones beyond that which "old fashioned" humans like us do, which is why so many people react to him.
The term Jack uses to describe himself is Omnisexual, which is another name for pansexual. Which is basically what you said, gender and species don't matter.

Brockyman said:
TimeLord said:

You have to pay for the BBC via a television licence. The worst part is that even though you don't need to pay a licence fee to watch ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, BBC 1 and BBC 2 are forced on any TV set. So basically, instead of a licence to watch the BBC, it's a licence to own a TV.
Here's the easiest way to think about it, it's a tax. But, because many people would complain if we taxed everyone with it, rather than just TV owners, they limited the tax to just TV owners. It makes sense to me and seems perfectly fair, but then again, I support heavy taxation so wadda I know?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
And yet straight people doing the same thing would be passed without a second thought.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
TimeLord said:

So they take out a gay sex scene, despite the fact that the series has had sex moments (both gay and straight) all through the series?

Boy talk about "yelling abandon" ship after you've already sank.....

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
vrbtny said:
Well this is kinda weird. I thought some American states still didn't accept gay marriage, and gays in general, and yet the UK is the one that has the gay bit cut.... weird.

Then again it is UK TV, not exactly known for its daring in it's TV content. Rating's wise.
Well the BBC is not known for it's daring but everywhere else it can be daring as hell in the 80s we had a storyline in Brookside about incest, in Hollyoaks a soap that goes out at 6pm there was a story about male on male rape and Queer as Folk the TV series that launched Russel T Davis was basically thinly veiled gay porn.

British TV can be the most daring in the world it's just the BBC is seen as a more conservative channel where older generations complain a lot so I can this happening if the sex had nothing to do with the plot. Not saying it's good or bad I just understand why they did it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Good?

Because Starz has gotten downright ridiculous in forcing sex into things that it honestly should not even be present in. Seriously, they in effect ruined the spartacus franchise by turning it into soft core porn.

So perhaps they can use that extra time in focusing on making the plot a little less comically ridiculous.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
orangeban said:
Here's the easiest way to think about it, it's a tax. But, because many people would complain if we taxed everyone with it, rather than just TV owners, they limited the tax to just TV owners. It makes sense to me and seems perfectly fair, but then again, I support heavy taxation so wadda I know?
It's not a tax though it's an outdated method of funding the BBC because they refuse to use adverts. Not only is the whole BBC media network out of touch with modern audiences with terrible programming and borderline offensive programming (BBC 3 is a channel featuring youth programming that is both devoid of merit and panders to the lowest denominator) but we have to pay for it no matter if we like it or not.

I would rather have adverts (or commercials for you Americans) than be forced to pay £150 and rising a year for a service I don't use. Wouldn't you if you had the choice?

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Isn't 9pm the watershed? Or is it 10? Either way, I'm annoyed that they're cutting anything from the show regardless of how relevant it is. If the creators decided to put that scene in the show then they must have had a damn good reason. If the watershed is 10 then why the hell are they showing it before 10 in the first place? Hell, why did the BBC even let it be filmed if they weren't going to show it? The BBC are a serious bunch of trolls with this and their seasons that end just as you're getting into the show and then give no hint as to whether or not the show will return at all until 2 years later when they release another 4 episodes. They don't even have that many good shows.