GDC 2009: GDC's Most Awkward Moment

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GDC 2009: GDC's Most Awkward Moment

GDC is always full of uncomfortable moments, but this one takes the cake.

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
I'd pay someone to come up with the right way to leave those sort of things. Nothing quite so scary as someone who wants to be loved talking about the things that you really don't want to love them for.

Now that would make a good horror game, Valve...

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Heh, I thought you were going to talk about The Path demo where while they debuting the game it bugged out and they had to reset it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Perhaps next year GDC should have a big light up sign at the back of every lecture theatre that says:

"This is not LiveJournal,"

An independant adjudicator gets to control it.

Brainbomb

Jan 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Echolocating said:
So what was this brilliant technology about?
I can't really tell you that without identifying the speaker, and I'd rather not do that.
While I applaud your bringing an interesting article to us, now you've lost me.

Edit: Alright, that came out alot harsher than I meant it. It's just that the advent of new, groundbreaking technology interests me alot more than the awkwardness of the moment.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Brainbomb said:
Susan Arendt said:
Echolocating said:
I can't really tell you that without identifying the speaker, and I'd rather not do that.

Edit: Alright, that came out alot harsher than I meant it. It's just that the advent of new, groundbreaking technology interests me alot more than the awkwardness of the moment.
And I fully plan on writing about it, but to be perfectly candid, until I follow up and get some of it broken down for me, I wouldn't even begin to know how to explain it to you. The lecture was, after all, aimed at programmers, which I am most definitely not. Rather than simply regurgitate words that have no meaning for me, I'd much rather understand the core idea before reporting on it.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Brainbomb said:
Susan Arendt said:
Echolocating said:

And I fully plan on writing about it, but to be perfectly candid, until I follow up and get some of it broken down for me, I wouldn't even begin to know how to explain it to you. The lecture was, after all, aimed at programmers, which I am most definitely not. Rather than simply regurgitate words that have no meaning for me, I'd much rather understand the core idea before reporting on it.
Oh just do it all in Technobabble and then pretend like we're the asses that are uncultured. I mean isn't that the only way to gain respect anyway?

hehe

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
It's a bit cruel to write about this unfortunate turns of event, for whoever this Mr. ashamed-a-lot might be.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Susan Arendt said:
Echolocating said:
I appreciate what you are conveying in your article, but you should have omitted mentioning this cool technology that will blow our minds and only a genius could have even fathomed it for reasons that are probably obvious now. ;-)

Public speaking is huge problem for me as well. I've had to address small rooms of people and it's been alright, but I could never do a radio interview or TV broadcast. That kind of stuff just plays freaky games with my mind. I think it also has something to do with not being one for idle chitchat. Just spewing out expected pleasantries requires a bit of effort on my part. I'm not much of a talker in person and I suspect this guy is the same.

I remember an old friend of mine got in the local lime light a long time ago when he found some holes in Hotmail's security (this was a decade or so ago). This guy couldn't get enough cameras in his face, I swear. He was so well spoken, charismatic, and collected in front of the camera and I couldn't wrap my head around how he was able to handle it and embrace it. Honestly, public speaking is a gift.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Seems to be a common mentality issue with geeks. One of the psych courses I took made it sound like it's imbued by the parenting style ("love withdrawal" as punishment). Reminds me, I need to take my medication...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Echolocating said:
Susan Arendt said:
Echolocating said:
I appreciate what you are conveying in your article, but you should have omitted mentioning this cool technology that will blow our minds and only a genius could have even fathomed it for reasons that are probably obvious now. ;-)

Public speaking is huge problem for me as well. I've had to address small rooms of people and it's been alright, but I could never do a radio interview or TV broadcast. That kind of stuff just plays freaky games with my mind. I think it also has something to do with not being one for idle chitchat. Just spewing out expected pleasantries requires a bit of effort on my part. I'm not much of a talker in person and I suspect this guy is the same.

I remember an old friend of mine got in the local lime light a long time ago when he found some holes in Hotmail's security (this was a decade or so ago). This guy couldn't get enough cameras in his face, I swear. He was so well spoken, charismatic, and collected in front of the camera and I couldn't wrap my head around how he was able to handle it and embrace it. Honestly, public speaking is a gift.
Well, I said that he thinks it's going to be groundbreaking. At the moment, it's a tech demo and an idea. But point taken. :)

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Echolocating said:
Ha!
You've already mentioned his name and his groundbreaking technology, nothing is going to stop us now from checking the internet, finding his full name and making fun of his absence of a spine. Muahawhaha

I don't think anyone is that desperate for a laugh, I actually give props to him for accepting the lecture in the first place. No shame in not being good at public speaking, well unless you are a politician (looks suspiciously toward Bush)

Does anyone care? Me neither.

westx207

Oct 17, 2008
I give the guy props for letting himself get so vulnerable in front of so many people. That would be tough to talk about even if you didn't have a hard time with public speaking.

I wonder if he's still with the same girl.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
The key is to keep doing it, that way you get better at it, as it 'can' be learned (as I found at college and the many business conferences I've attended). Hopefully this guy won't get discouraged to try again given the opportunity! :)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Brotherofwill said:
Susan Arendt said:
Echolocating said:
Ha!
You've already mentioned his name and his groundbreaking technology, nothing is going to stop us now from checking the internet, finding his full name and making fun of his absence of a spine. Muahawhaha

I don't think anyone is that desperate for a laugh, I actually give props to him for accepting the lecture in the first place. No shame in not being good at public speaking, well unless you are a politician (looks suspiciously toward Bush)

Does anyone care? Me neither.
I didn't mention his name, I said let's call him "Frank." I would hardly put his real name in quotes.