GDC 2011: First Look at Jurassic Park Gameplay

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
wow all these negative comments about graphics from people who play games like minecraft, NEWS FLASH graphics aren't everything! Tell Tale knows this and they made Back to the Future pretty Awesome. HOWEVER i agree with one thing, they really need better animators, or you know, Animators at all, Very stiff but it still works as long as you suspend your disbelief :p

Hey as long as its a struggle for survival game unlike the first Jurassic Park games on say the genesis, where its just arcade shooter, im all for it!

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
I don't like the Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain going on there... But it's gotta dinossaurs in it, so maybe it's fun.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Kazedarkwind said:
wow all these negative comments about graphics from people who play games like minecraft, NEWS FLASH graphics aren't everything! Tell Tale knows this and they made Back to the Future pretty Awesome. HOWEVER i agree with one thing, they really need better animators, or you know, Animators at all, Very stiff but it still works as long as you suspend your disbelief :p

Hey as long as its a struggle for survival game unlike the first Jurassic Park games on say the genesis, where its just arcade shooter, im all for it!
The problem is, for this type of game, graphics matter, a game that is based mostly on QTE like Heavy Rain need good graphics and animation to keep you focused on the story, a game like this with bad graphics shatters the immersion and just makes the whole deal a disaster, as opposed to minecraft where the block graphics add to the charm

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
I hope this is either a very early beta, or designed for the iPhone, because it looks horrible!

I am a major Jurassic Parkfan, my generation's dinofanaticsburden, but even the fan starts to cry a little....

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I wouldn't mind the low level graphics if they got some solid gameplay, but that is clearly just button-mash and quick time events... my two most favorite things :S

Lisa looks nice tho...

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Hell, can't be much worse than "The Lost World", can it?

EDIT- Probably should've watched the video before writing that....

That. Looked. Horrible. I'm not much of a graphics whore, but good god, that was hideous. The Heavy Rain gameplay looks to be just as fun as it was in Heavy Rain....(see what I did there?) and sweet zombie jesus, that voice acting was poor.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
dathwampeer said:
TheAmazingTGIF said:
This makes the worst of the cgi from the first movie look absolutely amazing.
>:\
In all fairness. The first movie had incredible CGI for the time. It's still really pretty good now.

But yea, this game looks like it's been beaten over the head with the ugly stick a few times.
The animotronics are still fantastic, but there are some CGI moments that are pretty bad looking. I rewatched it the other day.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
MasterSplinter said:
So... a quick time events filled cgi movie?
Well, isn't that similar to Heavy Rain? That turned out pretty well.
Yes, but heavy rain had other components. Granted i can't honestly make a statement about the whole game having watched only those 2 minutes or so. And i like what telltale has done more than i dislike.
I just made a statement based on what i saw, and that kind of QTE use really really grinds my gear.

Carlston said:
MasterSplinter said:
So we gone back to the days of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace?
MasterSplinter said:
I actually did not understood this.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
XxRyanxX said:
As much as the game design looks a bit off for our generation of graphics now, I would say we should give it a chance. I mean, Minecraft isn't the 'best' looking ether but it's very fun and addicting all the same so don't be so quick to judge now. They never made a Jurassic Park for Xbox 360 before so I will look into it. But, the only thing I want to point out is that I wish the game was faster paced. It seems like they didn't seem to much in a rush, even their facial expressions didn't change at all at the right moment.

Still, I think it'll be something worth trying out, which I can tell it's going to be based on quick time events. I suggest waiting for The Escapist or Yahtzee to review it and see if we should buy or even rent the game to see how it is for ourselves. I would just go get it hands down, but it's always funner to see what other people have to say about it first, just my opinion.
Minecraft is also trying to look retro. this... isn't.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
SHOOT HERH! SHOOT HERH!

LOL

You have no idea how often I say this, of course it needs the accent. When I was playing wow, it was especially worse. I'd get the whole guild doing it. But now I'd dorking things up. Pardon me.

Thanks for bringing it up.

*highfive*