GDC 2011: Homefront Balloon Release Remix

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
I am stumped. April isn't for a few weeks... How is this anything? I think it's just helping out natural selection. Anything stupid enough to eat a red (being a universal sign of danger) blob deserves to have it's stupid genes taken out of the gene pool. Also, balloons float in the air, and judging from the video, the wind would take them out of the range of at least some sea life. Also, does anyone know which direction the wind was even blowing that day, because if it was blowing inland, then I guess that takes seals out of the supposed danger zone. Also, seriously, fuck seagulls. There are actually people that get paid to scare their huge flocks away from dumps with bottle rockets and kites.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Bobic said:
whaleswiththumbs said:
Bobic said:
This is seriously the best thing I have ever seen on the escapist. Seriously, you should drop all your other uploads and make nothing but these.

Incredible, absolutely incredible.
Rednog said:
Wait...what did I just watch?
Isn't the point of a "remix" to make something that doesn't have a tune or a beat naturally have a tune or a beat when you remix it?
Seriously this felt like something someone brand new to video editing cut together in 5 minutes.
Definitely getting my vote for the worst thing ever uploaded to the escapist.
I don't know what is weirder, the fact you two have opinions on the opposite ends of the spectrum, or that they were one after the other.

OT:
um.. that was definitely something. I'm not sure how good of a something it was, but something. Reminded me of that music trend followed by beatniks where you "just don't get it"
It becomes less weird when you realise one of us was being sarcastic. I happen to know for a fact that Rednog loved every second of it.
XDXDXD

Bleh, now that's over. Yeah those balloons can probably still hurt stuff, they're just a bit less harmful than non-biodegradable ones. However I will admit that the balloons did look cool.

Also at all tha hatuz, te remix was timed to like fully emphasise tha man's words. This emphazes combined with te visual cues of teh animals implies that creatures will be harmed because of this act. Seriously though the remix's purpose IMO wasn't to sound like an actual song but to draw attention to the author's message in a way that's a bit less usual than just some guy writing "THE BIRDS WILL DIE AAAAAAH"

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
But-- What?

.. what did I just watch and why?. There was no comment on the upload or anything.

I am stumped.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
I don't get it. I guess you have to watch the local news to understand a) the balloons and b) the neccessity for this video. Too bad I'm 5500 miles away.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm a bit confused. Were the balloons going to turn into sealion-seeking missiles? Or were they just super delicious?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I'll be over there. You know, RETAINING MY SANITY. I feel like I'm on crazy pills!

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009

Seriously, Escapist? Why did you let some eight year old into your uploading database?

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I'm a bit confused. Were the balloons going to turn into sealion-seeking missiles? Or were they just super delicious?
cairocat said:

Seriously, Escapist? Why did you let some eight year old into your uploading database?
raxiv said:
Please, Escapist, don't push THQ's marketing further.
Azure-Supernova said:
What the... I don't even...
Let the record show that I agree with these men.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
But it said bio-degradable.

I know what that mena,s and what people are so upset about it, but I'm pretty sure that these guys knew what they were doing or put some forethought forward, otherwise the company has to be the dumbest and most oblivious I've ever seen.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Not really a remix, is it? It's more just random phrases from a speech with music in the background.

Edit:
smartengine said:
So is that why the birds got angry?
Holy shit, this must be what caused the Birdemic! (Google it.)

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Ninety-nine red balloons
Floating in the summer sky
Panic lads, it's a red alert
There's something here from somewhere else

The war machine springs to life
Opens up one eager eye
Focusing it on the sky
Ninety-nine red balloons go by

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I feel a facepalm for the maker of this video. I dunno what I just watched, it just was just kind of bad. luckily I tried watching that I hit it with my axe series which was just a slap dash cut and paste job that would have been better as hour long chunks of recorded audio.

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Rednog said:
Wait...what did I just watch?
Isn't the point of a "remix" to make something that doesn't have a tune or a beat naturally have a tune or a beat when you remix it?
Seriously this felt like something someone brand new to video editing cut together in 5 minutes.
Definitely getting my vote for the worst thing ever uploaded to the escapist.
You have my support.

carletonman

Oct 29, 2010
this is stranger than the time I saw a guy dipping doritos into melted neopolitan ice cream...

Krat Arona

Jul 12, 2010
Seems like "Team Hollywood" got a case of ADD while at the convention and suddenly thought the Escapist was a place to make an ecological point >.> No thanks.