Gearbox Claims Reviewers Were Unfair Toward Duke Nukem Forever

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
o_o... Half life? Half life is a fucking masterpiece, still played my millions, and yes, that's today Randy. What the fuck were they even thinking with this statement?

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
The game sucked, it was boring, slow, only allowed 2 weapons, had regen health that almost always reduces it to a cover based shootout, it felt clunky, looked bland and overall had no soul. When you make a bad game and people say it's bad you don't get to cry about it.

It was also a letdown, leading on a big name like Duke Nukem raised expectations which Gearbox failed to match, granted there are worse shooters coming out all the time but we have low expectations of them as well so when it turns out to be poor we don't care

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
It's funny because in it's current state DNF wouldn't have been good when half-life was released. Yes I do mean the first Half-Life.

Or for something more recent that "shares" a bunch with HL2 check Resistance three. It got everything right. The carrying all weapons at all times and the health packs was actually fun.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Earth to gearbox - your game was boring, unpleasantly humoured waste of time - that's why most people disliked it and it was rated poorly.

Please stop trying to tell us we don't get it, and that we're in the wrong for not liking it. We are real gamers, we have our own tastes, likes, and dislikes. Stop blaming US for your VERY BAD GAME getting trashed.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I think M.R.James put it best, something along the lines of 'If the public dont like it, its pointless to tell them why they should have'

Learn from your mistakes and stop whining Gearbox

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
I honestly don't know what people did not like about DNF.I played it,had fun with it. Regardless of all the over hype this game had around it,just was were people expecting? Was they expecting Shakespeare or some kinda Holy Grail of gaming that would become the be all end all of video games?

I guess the lesson here is if you have a solid first game people like do not wait 11 years to make a sequel.That is unless your Blizzard.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
I have respect for Gearbox, their past games were great, and I still believe that Opposing Forces was the best HL1 spin-off, better than HL1 itself.

But Duke Nukem forever is kind of really bad. I'm not blaming them for being handed a half-finished shoddy re-made several times game and expected to finish it. There's nothing they could have done for it except rebuild it from the ground up, again.

But they could at least admit it was bad.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Gearbox, stop trying to cover your asses. You made a crappy game, no big deal, most developers has at least one or two clunkers under their belt. Just don't make a trend of it, and you'll be fine, just stop trying to make excuses. The game sucked. PERIOD.

blushmoe

Nov 19, 2009
I'm confused. Are you referring to HL1? Because of course this wouldn't be highly thought of today. If you didn't play HL1 when it was first released. It is close to impossible to appreciate. Everything in HL1 was copied again & again.

If you are referring to HL2? Then please, hang yourself. Now i love HL1 & HL2 equally, like picking a favorite child to me. However HL2 is the most smooth flowing, well paced, interesting game i have ever played. It flows so well, so much replay, paced perfectly, leaves you stunned at the end & then the episodes. HL2:EP1 was kinda mediocre, but EP2... This was 4 hours of extremely well polished HL2...
A few hours...of a polished....HL2... One of the greatest games of all time...

Now compare this, to some stupid leveled, tit slapping, poo throwing, short, cheesy, Halo-wanna-be, that we have been waiting 15 years for, 2weapon, regen health game that is unmemorable & mediocre.

The thing is, it wasn't that bad compared to most games. But compared to HL2 (as you have)... Cut yourself, do us all i favor.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
[HEADING=1]WHAT?![/HEADING]
Are they seriously comparing Duke Pukem Forever to Half-Life? Now they've done it. I don't give a shit what Gearbox releases next, I'm never buying another one of their games. They have no integrity whatsoever.
They should seriously take lessons from Insomniac and Eidos Montréal; those companies reacted to criticism with dignity. And their games weren't complete fucking shit.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Actually, they are right. Some reviewers gave it a 3.5/10
You don't give games 3.5/10 just because they're boring. The game has to be unplayable to get such a review. That's not how honest reviews work. It was forgettable, sure, and it didn't live up to the hype. But it wasn't a 3.5/10. It was at least a 6.5/10.

But comparing it to Half-Life? Wow. They just crossed the line.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
well, to be fair, no game ever conceived ever could live up to that games hype. I actually kind of enjoyed the game myself.

I think reviewers were really harsh on Duke, because of its development time. If the game had been in development for a year or two instead of over a decade, the game would probably be seen as average.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
how can you say something where you have a semi-legit point, and yet sound like such a douchebag saying it?

seriously I thought ZP was the kindest critic out there.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
"Everybody should really be thankful that it existed to some degree at all."

I stopped reading there. Unless this is sarcasm, or a really bad joke, I was actually happier when it didn't exist at all. I figured things would turn out this way, I knew that a cobbled together cash grab would be a disservice to myself as a consumer and gamer, and to the community as a whole, and I knew, without question, that while there was nothing they could do to live up to more than a decade of waiting there would still be next to nothing redeemable to be salvaged from a game that was in it's early stages way back before shooters had evolved. It was, at it's core, bad.

A completely new work, better thought out, using lessons learned from other releases in the industry (or god forbid new ideas) would have averted things.

I'm not any more thankful for this than I would be for getting served dog food at a restaurant after having waited for hours believing I'd get fine cuisine instead.

Why are pubs/devs shitting on people nowadays? Between this asshole and Reggie's "What's wrong with you?" crap I'm starting to think they don't want our money anymore.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Hopefully, with all the bad press this got, Gearbox will take a long hard look at what gamers expect from a Duke Nukem game. Yeah its gotta have tits and one-liners, but the core of it is a corridor shooter. If they can find a way to innovate that concept and move forward now that they have the license to the series, maybe we'll actually see a good Duke game come out. As pretty much everyone stated above this game was made by many developers and it shows. Playing it felt like it was a "me-too" game from 7 years ago. It copied the mechanics of Half-Life, Halo, and probably a couple of others. Copying good games does not a good game make.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
*shakes head*

Oooh boy what a situation.

Seriously DNF was well happy it came out. It closed off the big DNF joke. But the game wasn't that good at all! So instead a big joke we did get a weak final.
No If it came out 5 years in this state sure .. why not! But 2010/2011..is not a time where you bring a game like this out full price.