Gearbox Claims Reviewers Were Unfair Toward Duke Nukem Forever

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Anyone who says that DNF was reviewed fairly isn't thinking straight. For me, it was obvious that DNF review never truly reviewed Duke Nukem Forever, but a bunch of other things.

It judged the Duke Nukem Franchise. The 15 years in development. The "cancelation" of the series due to the staff being laid off at 3D realms. The massive hype. The impact that Duke Nukem 3D had in FPS, 15 years ago.

The game was good? I can hardly say so. But it wasn't bad neither horrible. It was a average game with a huge name, only that. Most that says that it was horrible, only play "mainstream" games which almost always scores more than a 8. If they picked "unknown" games, with no knowledge about their quality before, they would have a lot more games with the same quality as DNF, but they would say it was "mediocre, at best". They simple think DNF is horrible because it was one of the few games from a HUGE franchise which failed in going past mediocre. Many also say DNF are horrible simply to join the bandwagon.

With a metacritic of 54, DNF is that. Mediocre. Regular. It's neither good or bad. You may even say "Oh, cool!" to a few things, but don't expect anything more than that. You can also say "God damn, that's shit" to a few other things. But either hardly come off as majority. Just as there was a review which gave DNF a 16 score, there was a review which gave it a 85 score. But in the weird review grid we have now days, the 7-10, where anything lower than 9.0 isn't anything impressive, and anything below 8.5 is utter shit, things get distorted.

I never expected DNF to be impressive, or even good. I just expected it to be DOUK. And it was. It was about shooting aliens left and right, with huge guns and big explosions. It was about having many interactive objects, hot girls and one liners. Ok, maybe the humor wasn't top-notch, but I felt it being Duke. For me, it was obvious that it would NEVER like up the hype. How could less hyped/antecipated games, with development sequels almost as long (Too Human anyone?) couldn't live up to its promises, how could a game from such a huge franchise, like DNF?

Get over DNF people. It was a huge letdown? Yeah, it could be a awesome game. But 3D realms fucked up, and fucked up hard. But now Gearbox have the IP. I enjoyed Bordelands VERY much, as I enjoyed Opposing Force. And I trust that Gearbox can build, from zero, a true Duke game. But if everyone keep gonig "BLUNDER OF CENTURY" "NEVER AGAIN DUKE" "BURN ALL THE COPIES!", Gearbox will simply let such a awesome franchise die, because they wouldn't be interested in working on a game from a franchise that the community seems to hate.

They would love to make a new duke Game? Shit, I bet Pitchford dreams about making a game true to Duke. But they are a company, a business, and they won't waste time from their main developer team for a game which won't sell. Stop hating on Duke, or we won't have another duke, not for another 15 years, but forever.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I think Gearbox was more unfair to Duke than we were.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Icehearted said:
"Everybody should really be thankful that it existed to some degree at all."

I stopped reading there. Unless this is sarcasm, or a really bad joke, I was actually happier when it didn't exist at all. I figured things would turn out this way, I knew that a cobbled together cash grab would be a disservice to myself as a consumer and gamer, and to the community as a whole, and I knew, without question, that while there was nothing they could do to live up to more than a decade of waiting there would still be next to nothing redeemable to be salvaged from a game that was in it's early stages way back before shooters had evolved. It was, at it's core, bad.

A completely new work, better thought out, using lessons learned from other releases in the industry (or god forbid new ideas) would have averted things.

I'm not any more thankful for this than I would be for getting served dog food at a restaurant after having waited for hours believing I'd get fine cuisine instead.

Why are pubs/devs shitting on people nowadays? Between this asshole and Reggie's "What's wrong with you?" crap I'm starting to think they don't want our money anymore.
The developers of Fallout New Vegas have turned into cockheads, too:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Higher_level_cap_and_no_post-endgame_gameplay_in_upcoming_add-ons

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Thats right Gearbox, it's all a conspiracy. Everyone gave you bad reviews because they just dont like you. It couldn't possibly be because it was both awful and offensive at the same time could it?

I look forward to seeing the sequel in 20years or so, take your time, there's no hurry.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Take home message here people is that Gearbox will not improve their games based on critical feedback because they won't admit their faults.

I see this a lot in devs and it always makes me laugh. It's why I stopped caring about Fable games after the second one. It's why I have little to no hope for Dragon Age 3. When a developer is unable to face the fact that they made some bad design decisions, they doom themselves to repeating past mistakes and any potential a game had is likely to be lost as the continue to try to justify those mistakes.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Maybe if you didn't want caustic reviews, you shouldn't have MADE FUN OF FEMALE CHARACTERS BEING RAPED. Even, no, especially in a Duke game, that really has no place. I support free speech, but if you say something as ugly as that, you best be prepared to deal with the consequences. Honestly, the only thing your company has done that I've ever found fun is the PC port of Halo. And that was mostly because Halo was a good game already.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Good lord Gearbox, stop being stuck in the God damn 90's. I swear, they're STILL angry at and jealous of Valve over the whole Half-Life/Sierra thing.

I had a mild respect for Gearbox for years, given that they occasionally release a decent game, but it's become so apparent they're still holding a grudge. I've lost almost all respect for them at this point. They seem to still be mad that they don't have a claim to Half-Life and seem jealous of how successful Valve became.

In many of their games, they make it a point to make fun of and take jabs at Valve. Including, but not limited to, a bevy of jokes in Borderlands and DNF poking fun at certain aspects and design tropes in Half-Life and Portal.

I'm not above laughing at in-jokes between game companies. Especially if they're made out of respect or are, you know, actually funny. But Gearbox has just become petty about it. Each time one of these jokes comes up it just comes off as whiney and pretentious. And now, using it all as proof that reviewers were "unfair" to Duke Nukem Forever? That's just laughably sad.

Seriously Gearbox, move on. Stop bitching and whining and just start making decent games. Stop trying to be Valve and set your own standards. We don't need another Valve. We need more, different developers. And please, for the love of God, stop making shitty PC ports. Borderlands was barely playable until the gaming community did your job for you and fixed what you broke.

Busdriver580

Dec 22, 2009
To be fair the only real problem Duke had was that everything had been done before and better, when you consider most big franchises get rehashed over and over to the tune of 9's and 10's then he's right in saying it wasn't fairly reviewed.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:
The evidence Martel offered for his claims was that DNF shared much in common with Valve's famous Half-Life series. "We've had this internal debate," he said. "Would Half-Life today be reviewed as highly as it is, you know, even today? As a new IP coming out with the same sort of mechanics Half-Life had.
Seriously? That's his defense for DNF? "It's better than a 13-year-old game"? He might as well join a grade school baseball team and celebrate how he's able to play baseball better than a bunch of 8-year-olds. Seriously? THAT'S their defense? A debate on whether or not Half Life, a game from 1998, would be considered as good today in 2011. What an asinine stance to take.

Okay, first of all? YES! Half Life was a very solid game. It had good controls, was well paced, had fun weapons to use, and basically did damn-near everything RIGHT. Now granted, a game with those graphics wouldn't be shown in the same light as a Triple-A title, so it would be more like "Indie hit of the year" or some such, but the point is that it's was a solid game then, and it's a solid game now.

Secondly. Seriously? I know I've asked that a few times already, but really? Maybe if you were to draw comparisons from today's generation, like finding ways to say that DNF is similar to Gears of War or Modern Warfare. It would still be an asinine defense, but at least you're drawing from something relevant. So what's next, Michael Bay defends all the slack the Transformers movies get by arguing that Citizen Kane wouldn't be as popular if it were released today as a new movie?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I never read any of the non-user reviews, but most the user review ones I saw were dumbasses. Rating the game low because you could only have two weapons, or rating it bad because it wasn't the greatest game ever made and it was in development for 14 years. It wasn't and a bad game and was pretty funny, it just got trashed a lot because of people wanting to hate it. And yes, I understand that some people had legit reasons for not liking it, but a lot of the hate was just to hate it.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Gee, why were the reviewers hostile?
Well i can only speak through my review here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.318766-Red-Pyramid-Thing-Reviews-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Video-Games]
but in my opinion Duke Nukem Forever was the worst first person shooter i have played since Red Faction. It was horribly designed with bugs up the ass and almost as tasteless as Jeffry Dahmer jokes. Gearbox fucked up big time, i'm sure a lot of people can agree with me on that.

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
This entire situation is bust. DNF was by no means bad, or dissatisfying. It was an enjoyable linear FPS with fun levels and immature one-liners. It was exactly what duke was supposed to be. There's a whole slough of people whining that DNF was bad and didn't even bother playing it. It's become sort of a trend to hate this game for some reason. I keep seeing comments like "Gearbox used to be cool" Are people even aware that this wasn't primarily a gearbox project?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The evidence Martel offered for his claims was that DNF shared much in common with Valve's famous Half-Life series. "We've had this internal debate," he said. "Would Half-Life today be reviewed as highly as it is, you know, even today? As a new IP coming out with the same sort of mechanics Half-Life had.

"I think we all have a nostalgia and love for that particular brand. Obviously Gearbox got its start working on Opposing Force so we love Half-Life. But is the current gamer, would they have the same love for that? It'd be interesting. I think the same kind of thing happened with Duke."
And you're telling me that you, as professionals in the business of making video games, were unable to anticipate that releasing a game on a similar level to Half-Life 2 in terms of design and technology in 20-fucking-11 would, in all likelihood, result in some form of backlash from your customers...?
Eat me, Martel.

Speaking as a recreational reviewer, I still feel perfectly justified in giving DNF an unfavourable write-up.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Eidos: "We messed up on Deus Ex's boss battles. We're sorry. We'll fix them in future games."

Square Enix: "We messed up on Final Fantasy XIV. We're sorry. We're going to rebuild it from scratch and dedicate ourselves to fixing it."

Gearbox: "The reviewers were biased against us! The game is better than everyone says! They should be grateful it even exists!"

Nintendo: "No comment on Metroid: Other M".

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
The reviews DNF got were the ones you would give to a game that literally did not work. Duke had jokes, it actually delivered on its promises as far as content and it was playable, but it just wasn't all that much fun.

So...yeah. Give it maybe a 55-65 on Metacritic and I think you've put it just about where the game should be. Much as I've never really been a fan of half-life though, this is no half-life.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
[quote="Mike Kayatta" post="7.321234.13135417"
"Everybody should really be thankful that it existed to some degree at all."[/quote]

What? No. Just no.

The game should have been shelved years ago. There was no merit to it existing.

Unless you count watching LRR and Yahtzee make jokes about it, and even then, they'd be stretching it.