Gearbox Plans a Duke Nukem Demo

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
This game is going to have to be a master piece for the ages,better than Christ him self, or its going to get ugly...

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
I sure hope the demo for DNF doesn't turn out like the one from Mirror's Edge.

Speaking of DNF, I've been giving it some thought lately, and I still can't decide whether I want to be excited or not o_O
What was up with the demo for Mirror's Edge? Are you suggesting that the demo for Mirror's Edge was significantly better or significantly worse than the game itself?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Actaully, now that I think about it...DNForever is actually reminding me of Gran Turismo 5.

It's gonna be good, but considering it's genre, it's not gonna be worth the wait. (Sorry, saw GT4 in the bargain bin today for $5, and can't stop thinking of how long it's been since it came out...)

It's not going to be worth the wait. But it will be good, all the same.

Relly, the game's gone through some many different forms and graphic engines, that the final product is going to be akin to something made in 2-3 years of dev time.

May 25, 2010
ohgodalex said:
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
I sure hope the demo for DNF doesn't turn out like the one from Mirror's Edge.

Speaking of DNF, I've been giving it some thought lately, and I still can't decide whether I want to be excited or not o_O
What was up with the demo for Mirror's Edge? Are you suggesting that the demo for Mirror's Edge was significantly better or significantly worse than the game itself?
Yes, I am suggesting that the demo was significantly better than the game itself.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
ioxles said:
What it needs is a solid demo showing all the parts working together flawlessly with the promise of much much more. It needs the Duke, it needs humour, it needs perfection.
Don't forget the boobies.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
wooty said:
The demo will probably show it to be just another mindless shooter, and the actual game will probably turn out to be, well......just another mindless shooter.
Just because it's a mindless shooter doesn't mean it can't be fun? Not every game has to have a labyrinthine storyline with gut-wrenching moral choices that leave you pondering our place in the universe.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
icyneesan said:
ioxles said:
What it needs is a solid demo showing all the parts working together flawlessly with the promise of much much more. It needs the Duke, it needs humour, it needs perfection.
Don't forget the boobies.
Agreed.

This game will be fun to play. I don't know how much of my enjoyment will be pure nostalgia, but I won't care, at least I enjoyed it.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
wooty said:
The demo will probably show it to be just another mindless shooter, and the actual game will probably turn out to be, well......just another mindless shooter.
That's what it *needs* to be! Too many shooters today try to be all hip and cool by adding in gameplay mechanics and crap like that. I mean things like that are fun, but sometimes we just need to pick up the Mouse & Keyboard and frag some goddamn alien swine! No perks, no cheesy cover systems, no tactics, just run in shooting rockets with guts flying everywhere.

Back to the basics is key sometimes.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
If they put out a demo

people will play it
realize its not worth the wait
and still buy it

i mean... if they are "die hard" fans of DN then they owe themselves such treat, after all those years whining and crying and defending the "SUPERAWESOMEVIDEOGAME" that DN:F was in their eyes (even after not seen ANYTHING AT ALL of the game) they need to get the game

I will probably download the demo and buy it at its release if its entertaining enough... i too enyojed the DN series (yes, even the ones in the 64) and well... i had fun playing them, BUT i doubt anyone will call it the "best game ever" or even say "it was enough to take all those years in production"

i do hope for the best for this company, the hype it´s got is going to be enough to give them something to "scratch" some of the financial troubles they got themselves in the past, and next time take the idiot that decided to reset production each time a new engine came out, and burry him in the woods.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
if the demo is good, then MAYBE I will buy the game.

Never had a Duke game before, so it should be new and refreshing...

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Zer_ said:
wooty said:
That's what it *needs* to be! Too many shooters today try to be all hip and cool by adding in gameplay mechanics and crap like that. I mean things like that are fun, but sometimes we just need to pick up the Mouse & Keyboard and frag some goddamn alien swine! No perks, no cheesy cover systems, no tactics, just run in shooting rockets with guts flying everywhere.

You just described Serious Sam.

ScruffyTJanitor

Mar 7, 2010
Alon Shechter said:
Zer_ said:
wooty said:

You just described Serious Sam.
What a coincidence, Serious Sam was a throwback to DN3D and other shooters of that era. And the character Serious Sam is a parody of Duke.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Sacman said:
I want it... I've been waiting 14 years for this moment...
I know! It pains me to see all the younguns turning their backs on the Duke! I grew up with him, he's my childhood hero! I don't care if DNF sucks the big one, it will mark Duke's return.

Also on that note, LOOK HOW VIOLENT AND SEX CRAZED I AM AFTER PLAYING VIOLENT VIDYA GAMEZ WHEN I WAS 5.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Just cause Dukes name been out there for a while does not mean negative press is still good press.

DNF is like 2012, as much as the sheep BAHHHH how much the world will end. It will not. It just makes those who buy this moronic crap just the dumber looking like those who thought Blair Witch was -real- or watch any craptastic shaky camera movie and think it's real in the age of information.

DNF is gone people. Everything DNF was to make new and ground breaking has been done.
It's dead. Unless you have Duke become the new painkiller your just clinging to a franchise that has been debunked, shamed and basicly has a FRAUD stamp on it like the Enron of video gaming.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Sounds good. I can't wait too see if it's half as good as it should be.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I was hoping we'd get a demo. And as of now, I've only downloaded 4 demos ever. Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Mirror's Edge, and Resident Evil 5. This one might go on the list as well. I'm actually kind of excited for this game just because it's kind of historic.