Gearbox Plans a Duke Nukem Demo

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
The Duke doesn't need to use cover.

The Duke doesn't use tactics.

The Duke doesn't hold any truck with destructable enviroments.

The Duke doesn't use hdr or bloom, thats why he wears shades.

The Duke thinks bump and normal mapping are for pansies, he only trusts Awesome mapping, where every texture pops out and punches you in the nuts.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
My world is upside down. Black is white, up is down and short is long and everything I thought was just so important doesn't matter. Time to forget the words and sing along.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
It better allow me to kick, sprint and shoot at the same time like in the original.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Gearbox gives me demo of Duke, then there will be HUGS! I swear it!

Heck with the worries about DNF being a bomb, Gearbox is officially the awesomest studio out there!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
ScruffyTJanitor said:
Alon Shechter said:
Zer_ said:
wooty said:
The demo will probably show it to be just another mindless shooter, and the actual game will probably turn out to be, well......just another mindless shooter.
That's what it *needs* to be! Too many shooters today try to be all hip and cool by adding in gameplay mechanics and crap like that. I mean things like that are fun, but sometimes we just need to pick up the Mouse & Keyboard and frag some goddamn alien swine! No perks, no cheesy cover systems, no tactics, just run in shooting rockets with guts flying everywhere.

Back to the basics is key sometimes.
You just described Serious Sam.
What a coincidence, Serious Sam was a throwback to DN3D and other shooters of that era. And the character Serious Sam is a parody of Duke.
Serious Sam is a big loud shoutout of how the world needs Duke Nukem.
If there is a nod to Sam keeping the faith alive in DNF...gamers will be crying everywhere.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
sunami88 said:
I'd say they have to, just for the sake of proving it's real. Until then, I'll be playing the part of the pessimist...
Agreed. Only when I have played a demo, will I believe it's really real.

fjelding

Feb 17, 2010
I have such fond memories of the Duke Nukem games that I cant help but be a little excited about this.
But, yeah, after all those years in development, I wont buy it without having tried the demo.

(Please let it be as awsome as Duke Nukem 3D was)

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I'm squarely in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. I remember some similar reports from back when Stalker was being fed vapours for a few years.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Actaully, now that I think about it...DNForever is actually reminding me of Gran Turismo 5.

It's gonna be good, but considering it's genre, it's not gonna be worth the wait. (Sorry, saw GT4 in the bargain bin today for $5, and can't stop thinking of how long it's been since it came out...)

It's not going to be worth the wait. But it will be good, all the same.

Relly, the game's gone through some many different forms and graphic engines, that the final product is going to be akin to something made in 2-3 years of dev time.
If you put actual physical work aside, there's ideas that don't diminish after one engine change. In 12 years one can have many different concepts developed and tested. Unlike TF2, for example, where the devs scrapped most of the material because of a theme change or such, Duke was always supposed to be Duke. 3DR knew what their game was supposed to be all along, unlike Valve, where they toyed with a slew of different designs before they decided what the final product is going to be like.

I'm really hoping this will help in setting DNF apart from other games.