Gearbox Prez Calls Valve out on the PS3

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
I agree. Fuck Valve. That's right. I said it. They are punks for crapping all over the PS3 crowd. I say that are either to damned lazy or suck too much to make PS3 games awesome like Insomniac or even Bethesda. Oblivion was one example of a PC game that looked phenomenal and ran smoothly on the PS3. They did not screw the PS3 owners over by cutting it down to make it shit. Like Valve and EA did with the PS3 version of the Orange Box. Does anyone around hear Bethesda bitching over how hard the PS3 is to program for? NO. Gabe Newell is a fat ass punk *****. He is a PC snob. They only reason Valve makes games for the 360 is because it is practically a PC in a box just like the first X-Box. So fuck Valve. I am done with them. Half-Life 2 Episode 3 can kiss my ass.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Isn't this coming from the guy whose company released a broken and shitty multiplayer system on the PC.

Randy Pitchford can kindly fuck off.

-Stranger- said:
gothaggis said:
Having developed a game for both the 360 and PS3, I can assure you that it is way more of a pain in the ass to develop for the PS3 - and yes you need to throw more resources at it.
While that may be true, even indie developers can develop for multiple systems. A big, long running company of professional coders with lots of money like Valve saying "it's too hard to code for!" sounds a little off.
I don't have any doubts that Valve could code for PS3 if they wanted to. It might be a ***** to do, but they could do it.

The thing is that Valve has decided, for whatever reason, that it's in their own interest to not work for the PS3. They may be wrong on that, but I'm willing to bet that they have a better handle on what is good for them rather than some PS3 fans on the internet think.

I also would be hesitant to say that Valve has "lots of money". They are still a medium-sized developer that doesn't have the financial backing of someone like Infinity Ward or Bethesda. Releasing a game that doesn't sell well on a platform is going to hurt them far more than a company like EA or Activision.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
heh, funny to see that when one guy makes a legitimate comment in the PC company "Valve" everyone focuses in "whatever" but the point he was trying to make, Valve is great i know, but Console vs PC versions alway leaves the consoles with the short straw, what i think we should notice more is that valve is focusing on PC (make that Steam) rather than consoles leaving the console versions of their games to be an "incomplete" experience

and he was just stating it was unwise to hit the hand that feeds you, i mean, i know "Steam" is awesome and all that, but i dont see it supporting a company like valve only in "exclusive" titles.

well... this is just my opinion of course, i am not flaming am i??

mambodog

Jul 8, 2009
Randy's just hurt because him and Gabe aren't best buddies anymore. Ever since Gearbox cocked up CS: Condition Zero and had their asses dumped in favour of Turtle Rock Studios, they haven't had another project with Valve. Turtle Rock, on the other hand, were getting all of Valve's second party work, and then during development of Left 4 Dead, Valve bought them up. Randy obviously wanted a job at Valve, but Mike Booth got it instead, and now he's sad.

Poor Randy :(

Or he could just still be trying to drum up controversy to sell a few more copies of Borderlands...

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
I gotta say its seems that Pitchford has gone off his meds. Valve makes games has their own way of getting them to people AND PEOPLE LIKE THE GAMES, i haven't seen the inside of a PS3 or is system bios but i can bet i wouldn't understand them, so if Valve's game dev team says it complex i tend to believe the people that know more about it than i do.

As for Pitchford calling Valve fan-boys ... um isn't that statement in itself a little childish? your calling Valve names.

The Xbox 360 is awesmoe and so is the PS3 but each system has a MASSIVE flaw in that they don't have the storage of a Computer, This is Valves reason for not having the unlockable weapons on the console version of TF2, There is no room left to put the damn things, the game was so large that is uses most of the consoles space. (while the game isn't 60gbs in size the downloadable unlock weapons and maps do add a large chunkc of used memory even on my 500gb hard drive)

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I don't know what to say here.

I like Valve and Gearbox (because Borderlands in my opinion is better than any other Valve game), plus I'm not a great fan of the PS3.

So I'll just say "fuck it".

EDIT: So we have one company who apparently releases buggy ports and another who couldn't realese games in quick succession even if it killed them. And they're arguing about porting for the PS3 of all things.

This shit's messed up.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I just LOVE how outspoken these game companies are getting these days. It think it really shows how personal they take their job (in a good way). I wish the music and film industry were as outspokenly critical of their own industry.

In Limbo

Nov 4, 2008
[blockquote]"I noticed something on the net not too long ago. Doug Lombardi (Valve's VP Marketing) had to take a swipe at the PS3 again, and I thought it was foolish. I read it the same way I read fanboys. Like there's a guy who bought the Sony platform and he's a Sony guy, so he decides he's going to spend a certain percentage of his time bashing Microsoft. And there's a guy on Microsoft doing the same thing. Those guys are childish and narrow minded, it's the same kind of thing."[/blockquote]

Then rise above it and STFU?

Also, if having a swipe at a competing platform is foolish, what is continually swiping at the platform you're currently developing for?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I know the true reason of Gabe's unwillingness to develop for PS3. It's because Ratchet & Clank is on it. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the laws of cosmic balance and even distribution of awesomeness. Or it could just be hard to jump over from PC to Playstation,what with the different architecture and all.
/sarcastic remark

As for Gearbox,that Randy guy certainly does not like Valve,and Gabe personally. Sure,he has a point,but he's also whining.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Croaker42 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Valve is an autonomous developer that has the right to develop for whatever platform it damn well pleases. If Gabe Newell were to suddenly announce that all future Valve titles would be programmed for the Atari Jaguar, then would anyone have the right to tell the developer that it couldn't?

This exactly this.
All im hearing from Pitchford is his own brand of fanboy crying. Valve will do whatever Valve will do but im sure crying will help when you dont like it.
Yeah, pretty much. It's Valve's choice and this Pitchford bloke is pretty much bitching in his own fanboy warcry.

Have a tissue, Pitchfork.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
All he says is true yet Valve are not the only company that does this.

I mean Valve's most recent major hit, Orange Box, that was released on PS3 yet they took no effort with it, literally, EA just took the raw code and gave it to a third party to port = lower performance.

But the problem is that SO MANY developers don't ever ACTUALLY develop on the PS3, but develop on PC/360 and then have a third party port to PS3 on the cheap, Bayonetta developers Platinum Studios are the most recent example with absolutely startling disparity in quality between 360 and PS3 versions.

I also find it interesting that although Gabe Newall badmouthed the PS3 way back in 2006 he hasn't said much since and most of all he has said nothing in favour of its competitor 360 which his company is releasing games exclusive for. He may hate PS3 but he hasn't got much love for 360 either.

The thing is that 360 gets nothing but the leftovers of the PC development of Valve games because:
(a) it's easy to port PC to 360
(b) large US market = easy sales

But it's clear Valve's 360 releases are for nothing but boosting the bottom line and speaking as a gamer, you'd be fool to not go for the PC versions of any of valve games, they run well on even low spec

And it is a bit rich Pitchfork going on about Gabe when his own company with Borderlands is a huge example of PC Elitisim is you compare the quality of the PC version of Borderlands with PS3/360 version.

Markor8

Nov 6, 2009
I actually don't get is what the beef with him and Valve is, seriously?! Mr. Randy i really like all your games from Opposing Force to Borderlands, for all those games you have used someone's else engine(that i know of ), you don't have to worry about compatibility issues for different consoles and where to allocate your resources which faces many dev who create there own engine from ground up.

Now lets all hush up and watch this vid of our beloved Messiah(where he doesn't trash ps3 for once)
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/left4dead2/video/6238431/gabe-newell-today-on-the-spot-extended-interview

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I thought Gabe made a good point in an interview a whle back. He said he doen't like the idea of PS3 players buying a sub-par Valve product. Who can blame him? It keeps his company's credibility intact and it doesn't mean PS3 owners fork out money for a game from a company that doesn't work well with the PS3 platform.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Superior Mind said:
I thought Gabe made a good point in an interview a whle back. He said he doen't like the idea of PS3 players buying a sub-par Valve product. Who can blame him? It keeps his company's credibility intact and it doesn't mean PS3 owners fork out money for a game from a company that doesn't work well with the PS3 platform.
Yeah but apparently because he didn't say "well we don't have the personnel or experience with the architecture to develop well on the PS3, much less develop on it at all" right off the bat this means Valve is automatically in the wrong...which is what I would think if my brain didn't work. It's really unsurprising to see how not even 1 page in this became a "Valve fan vs. PS3 fan)" argument which, while civil, is completely unecessary here. Certain people need to learn that some companies just aren't going to develop for certain platforms for whatever reason, and bitching about it only makes the complainer look bad. We get it, Sony fans, you're upset Gabe Newell wasn't nice to your Blu-Ray Miracle Machine, please stop trying to use that as a way to defend the words of a complete and utter jackass. Yes that's right, Pitchford is a jackass. He's running his mouth like an idiot again, after he already was shut down in his attempt to claim Steam was exploting the little guy when it wasn't. Why anybody is willing to listen to him now is a surprise, well actually it isn't, he's just playing to the crowd that he knows he can get riled up.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Well, frankly, this guy has a point. I do not get it either. The orange box was released on the PS3 and it handled it very well from where I am standing. Valve has been using the same engine for its recent games and both the orange box and half life 2 fall into that category. If they honestly think that developing for the PS3 is a waste of time, hey, its their money, who am I to judge. But damn right impossible about shooters? I handled Bioshock quite well, I got a motherfuckin platinum trophy, so where's the problem with the controls? The PS3 can handle many games visually, the latest example being Uncharted 2.

I wish Valve could come out and say: we do not support the PS3 anymore and there. End of story. Really. I am ok with that. Sure, I will be missing on great games like L4D but so what? Like there aren't gonna be good exclusives on the PS3 like Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian? Big deal. What I do not like is that they are not being honest. Confess. You do not wanna support that console. What is wrong about that?

Finally, even though I am not on Valve's side when it comes to this since I own a PS3 and hate dishonesty, the gearbox guy sounded kinda funboyish. And for that, he is gonna get beaten up with an ignorance bat (insert L4D2 preorder joke).

Lukeydoodly

Sep 9, 2008
How about calling them out on the 360?

'Don't worry guys, were still working on the update!'

yeah sure, don't bullshit valve.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
I dont get this whole war between Gearbox and Valve, what i can say is it wouldve been great if Borderlands had Steam support for multiplayer instead of frigging Gamespy.