Gearbox Promises More "Non-Season Pass" DLC for Borderlands 2

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
God, what's with all the rage? I thought it was pretty clear that the Season Pass is for getting the new campaign DLCs, the ones equivalent to General Knoxx and Zombie Island. You get those and for cheaper. Things they are referring to are cosmetic upgrades and such. Stuff that does not matter compared to the campaigns and are much lesser content. Nobody is getting ripped off, it is not withheld day one DLC, they didn't promise it for you. I see no problem and look forward to what comes out.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'm a bit disappointing, but I didn't order the season pass so I'll just wait and get the GotY version.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Eh, DLC is evil, publishers are greedy, same old jazz. I remembered how nice it was when I read the last Borderlands 2 article and people actually said nice things about a developer for once...I miss it already. Christ, do we ever do anything else on this website?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
When I look the season pass on the xbl market place and in game it says for the next 4 pieces of campaign dlc. No one has lied here, also, season pass doesn't mean all does it? Look at tv series as an example, a season is just what shows for one season, a show can have any number of them. The term never meant anything to do with having all of something, just a portion relative to what they consider a season.

LightningBanks said:
I think we should just shut down DLC for good, as well as a load of other features, until the gaming community can learn to grow up. Gearbox offered you a season pass, which gave you 4 packs for the price of 3. THAT is good in itself, if you're planning to get them all anyway. Just because the deal doesn't cover this stuff, doesn't make it a bad deal at all.

They might as well take the season pass away, so you have no discount, because apparently if the season pass didn't exist, we wouldn't be crying like tiny baby men when the discounted price isn't discounted enough.

Its like writing a complaint to a Tesco store because theres 4 packs of sweets you want and its 3 for £1, not 4.

Its not asif its pay to win like a F2P game, you're not required to spend the extra money.
Agreed, more, but optional is good, and with the season pass it's a discount. It's not like anyone is forcing you to pay just to play co-op for example. It's more content, to get more content on a lot of things you have to pay for them, because someone has to work to make it.

Nicolaus99 said:
That's right sheeple, keep shelling out that dough for a game you already paid $60 for. Once they wring you out for $120 or more total, do you honestly think you will have value equal to a finished sequel to your first $60 product?

Crap like this is just a way to get the gullible to pay $120+ for a damn video game, something not even the most foolish among them would do if that were the starting price tag and all they had to do to punk you was sell you an unfinished product and charge you for the missing pieces.

Spit on their DLC and games that push it, else you only encourage this abusive fleecing of consumers.
I'm sorry, did someone force you to pay for any dlc? What's wrong for paying for more content if it's worth it to the person buying it. The game seems pretty polished and people have been getting dozens of hours of enjoyment from it too, adding on more at a discount price and then saying "Hey, we have even more IF you want it." can hardly be considered a bad thing.

So far it's not on disc, we have to wait and see if the new class will be but Gearbox have yet to really do that (unlike Capcom) so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

You could debate all day with someone about your other point of whether or not another 60 dollars worth of content is the same as a sequel, but you also seem to miss the point of dlc like this. It is a smaller cost, you don't have to get all of it, only what interests you and they probably each have their own little story etc, in a full game it all has to be together and tie together completely and it's $60 off the bat. Individually, the dlc is a smaller cost and you don't have to get more then just the one you want. In the last game, I just bought the General Knoxx one because the others didn't interest me, and it's great to have that option.

This is not to say dlc can't be bad, we all know enough example of this, the Street Fighter games, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and RE5 (all Capcom I know, can't think of any others right now.) nickel and dimed with content not worth the price. $10 bucks for a character, or just for vs mode in a game where you could already play co-op split screen in etc are example of bad dlc, on those ones, I can agree with you, but Gearbox has yet to do anything along the lines of that kind of BS at all.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I for one am a fan of the whole DLC concept. I was planning on buying the season pass and am patiently waiting for the mechromancer. But gearbox is really handling BL2 poorly right now. The creature slaughterdome is clearly advertised in game. But only available to a select few because they got it free because they bought it from the right store. Now (if true) announcing they are going to sell us loot and vehicles on top of the $40 it will cost to buy the real DLC. Which by all rights could suck like Moxxi's Underdome from BL1. And we aren't supposed to complain about that?

Yeah I think we should be getting pissed off about that. We are investing close to 100 bucks if you bought the vanilla version. 200 if you bought the super duper collector edition. And you are telling me that it is ok to not have the full experience? That i might not get all the vehicles and be stuck with the 2? Lets not forget how is it going to work if my co op buddy has the new car and I don't? Will I have to shell out more money to play with them? Will their investment be wasted since they won't have access to the shiny new car because they are playing with me?

Oh hey why not throw down a few bucks got some shiny new gun. One that can easily be duped with friends. One that best case will be scalable like the contraband sky grenade (the most useless grenade ever) and get more powerful as you level. Meaning you will be running through the game with the same gun. Sound fun? Not to me. But worst case is you spend the money and the first chest you find gives you a better gun. Why not just have them give us their paypal info and we can just give them the money. Cut out the middle man. Save them the processing fees and the server space and it is pure profit for them.

We are gamers not banks. It would be good for people on both sides of the controller to remember that.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
I don't think this is a case to be particularly mad about, I just finished the story and it feels like a very complete game. It certainly didn't feel the same as saints row 3 for me, where it actually felt like things were left out purposely for dlc.

If the season pass stuff is akin to the Secret Armoury or Claptrap Revolution I think the price sounds fairly reasonable, but we'll see. The extra stuff they're talking about though is hopefully just new characters or ways of getting loot, which I would happily ignore without any consequence to my gaming experience, since I'll probably not have enough time to play through all 4 starting characters anyway.

If it means gearbox will continue to support Borderlands 2 for a while then extra optional dlc is perfectly reasonable, but they certainly don't win any browny points for it.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
Why are people bitching about the "season" pass? Do they not understand the concept of "seasons" and that "seasons" end? And there are things out of "season". And then new seasons begin?

IT'S A FUCKING [HEADING=1]SEASON[/HEADING]PASS.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Simskiller said:
Why are people bitching about the "season" pass? Do they not understand the concept of "seasons" and that "seasons" end? And there are things out of "season". And then new seasons begin?

I said that in my post too, the season pass even told you what you were getting yet people seem to be mad at Gearbox doing this. It makes no sense, I'm glad to see there are some others that get it though.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
This is a pretty big middle finger to the people who pre-ordered it based on the season pass. I actually gave Gearbox a lot of praise for doing with DLC what should be done.. and now they went and took the EA route. It certainly undermines any confidence that I had in that company.

LightningBanks said:
I think we should just shut down DLC for good, as well as a load of other features, until the gaming community can learn to grow up. Gearbox offered you a season pass, which gave you 4 packs for the price of 3. THAT is good in itself, if you're planning to get them all anyway. Just because the deal doesn't cover this stuff, doesn't make it a bad deal at all
What they said was misleading. They sold people this idea that the pass was all-inclusive then they decided to start making hidden charges. People may be complaining, but they have the right to, Gearbox lied to them.

Some people, on the other hand, are allowing a company to pee on their face and tell them it's raining, then smile and ask for more.

chozo_hybrid said:
Simskiller said:

I said that in my post too, the season pass even told you what you were getting yet people seem to be mad at Gearbox doing this. It makes no sense, I'm glad to see there are some others that get it though.
The "season pass" was just a generic term they used. It is utterly asinine to take it as literal as it was clearly never intended to be. But, suppose you do take it literally, what season are they referring to? The 2012 season? Or just the Fall 2012 season? Is that to mean all 4 expansions will be released before the end of the year and then next year will be the 2013 season? If a single piece of new, paid, DLC is released during the "season", which it certainly sounds that way, your entire half-baked argument goes out the window.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Arizona Kyle said:
Seems to me that the non Season pass DLC is just little things like small stuff that doesnt matter at all. Everyone is getting in a hissy fit over this for nothing

TF2 Hats - All i have to say i will leave that there no one has any problem with those... Basicly the same thing gearbox is doing

Come at me Bro
Valve offers no season pass

Stick Antolini

Jun 3, 2010
redmoretrout said:
Why do people defend business practices like this one, they deliberately misled their customers into thinking they would have access to all dlc with a single one time, which is why they called it a "season pass". If you bought a season pass under the false impression would were buying access to all dlc released in the near future, you have a right to be pissed off.
Well if you thought you were getting all the dlc released then it is entirely your fault, as it clearly states 4.

Pandaman1911 said:
Dandark said:
Are you ****ing kidding me? The whole point of a season pass is that you pay for all of the DLC right?

Congratulations everyone, we are willing to take even more of your money because doubling the games price wasn't enough for us.
What this handsome fellow said. The only reason I got the season pass was so I could have all the DLC. Guess I should have read the fine print.
I don't know what fine print you are talking about it's in the first line of information on the steam page...

Knuckles

Apr 13, 2012
This is why I decided to wait for the "Gold" or "Complete" edition of the game before buying it, because I want it all (read Don´t want to pay more than once) and am in no rush, 1-2 years waiting is no problem with my long backlog of games that I trying to get through. All it means is that it gets in at the back of the queue instead of front of it.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Arizona Kyle said:
Seems to me that the non Season pass DLC is just little things like small stuff that doesnt matter at all. Everyone is getting in a hissy fit over this for nothing

TF2 Hats - All i have to say i will leave that there no one has any problem with those... Basicly the same thing gearbox is doing

Come at me Bro
I'm uncertain about my position on this, not sure if I'm ok with it or not, but I have to say it's not like TF2 hats, and I wish people would stop bringing them up when there's a DLC debate.

The reason why the hats work is that they are entirely aesthetic (excluding about 4 that were part of set bonuses) and could be gotten in game as well without spending money. What this is is content that looks like it will change the game (new classes especially), and so not having it means you miss out. If you don't have a hat, it makes no difference, everything still plays the same.

Sorry, just had to say that. It's just hats are not the same.

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
Dexter111 said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Were you expecting them to simply release the game, zero DLC, and call it good?
Yes I'm very much expecting that if a developer wants me to put down ~50-60? on their new game I get the complete product, the same way it worked till about 2004 when Microsoft instated this "DLC policy" bullshit, the same way it works when I go to the cinema or buy a movie/album/book etc. Expansions with large content upgrades seem fine, this does not.

No skin off my back, more money for other games and KickStarters etc. and as I said I might grab it once they've decided to finalize the game and Release the final build instead of the Beta from the "bargain bin".
And yet when you go to the cinema, do you then go ahead and complain when it comes out on dvd/blu-ray and has various extra features, or a director's cut? Do you complain next time the band you bought and album of releases a single, because it should have been included in the album you bought? The DLC model allows developers to make these kinds of small additions for gamers who want them. They're putting additional time into them, DLC is generally given a separate budget also. If you don't want it, fine, but just buying the game doesn't automatically entitle you to all the DLC they make for it.

You're right, it didn't work like this until DLC came along, but you know what? Industries and business models evolve and change. Most people are happy that the DLC model allows gamers to get content for games they enjoy, content that wouldn't exist without the DLC model. A game has deadlines, it has to release eventually, DLC allows developers to go beyond that point, and make more content. Are there bad DLCs out there? Of course, just like there are bad games, and bad sequels. Petty whining about a game being a 'beta' and not the 'final build' reveals, at best, ignorance on your behalf over how things work. At worst, a spoilt and entitled attitude.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I-Protest-I said:
wackelpudding said:
When they first introduced the concept of the "Season Pass", I was under the impression such a Pass would include all the DLC that gets released for a game for a slightly discounted price. Good to see that they can cannibalise everything.
And now with John for the weather!
Thanks..

uhhh

>_>

Back to you Dave.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Aaaaaaaand...adding Borderlands 2 to my list of "Glad it wasn't a day 1 purchase for me".

Let's see who's next. I'm eyeing Black Ops and RE6 right now...

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
FYI for people freaking out about this DLC thing

(From the steam store page, i'll bold the part you need to notice)
Can?t get enough Borderlands 2? Grab the Borderlands 2 Season Pass and get access to four downloadable content packs for Borderlands 2 at one discounted price:

Includes access to four brand new individual add-on content campaigns for Borderlands 2 as they become available.
Add-on content packs are scheduled to be released following the game?s launch through June 2013.
Each campaign will feature several hours of gameplay and introduce new adventures, allies, enemies and environments.

Notice how it says "four" in the description? Because some of you guys act like the season pass was for all DLC which shows that you guys who are whining didn't read the store page and assumed it was for all DLC. I have no idea where you guys got the idea you would get all the DLC with this pass...oh yeah people don't read everything before buying anything.

Oh yeah and people whining about DLC that comes out after the game, let me point this out. PC games have been releasing expansion packs since the early 90's, the only difference now is that we get it digitally. So by this logic any game from the 90's that had expansions packs where not "complete" either. Difference is there is no sign this DLC is on disc locked away like so many other games that pull that crap no a days.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
GamingAwesome1 said:
I thought that was the entire point of a season pass, you pay for all the DLC to be released up front? Nice to see that even a relatively new concept can be twisted a bit.

Can you at least reveal all the details before people buy in? That smacks of trickery since omitting information like that may have slowed some people's decision to purchase.
They did, it's in the store page on steam that you get FOUR DLC items.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218560/?cc=kr

There is a link for other people to see if they don't believe me.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
BoredRolePlayer said:
GamingAwesome1 said:
I thought that was the entire point of a season pass, you pay for all the DLC to be released up front? Nice to see that even a relatively new concept can be twisted a bit.

Can you at least reveal all the details before people buy in? That smacks of trickery since omitting information like that may have slowed some people's decision to purchase.
They did, it's in the store page on steam that you get FOUR DLC items.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218560/?cc=kr

There is a link for other people to see if they don't believe me.
Yeah, but for a good time, that is until now, those four DLC and the Mechromancer were the only known pieces of DLC and it was never said that there would be more down the pipeline until now, so it would've been fair to assume the season pass is all inclusive.

Then they release this information after the game has launched and I find that incredibly suspect. Exact words or no, they've deliberately omitted a detail there until after release when people have already made their choice. Iffy, Gearbox, very iffy.