Gearbox Snags Homeworld Rights

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Klaflefalumpf said:
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this little gem: "with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."

So even if it is a strategy, we're looking at some pretty impressive dumbing down.
This sounds more like they are planning on releasing Homeworld and Homeworld 2 on Steam, GOG and the like. This is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

I only think it would be a shame if Gearbox pulled a Syndicate on Homeworld 3. Or released a game of DNF or A:CM quallity. The lack of RTS experience would most likely lead to massive outsourcing and we know how well Gearbox handles this.
But perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Captcha: foul smelling

sorta off topic: Equating accecebility to dumbing down is a sentiment I can understand, given the nature of this industry, but one I find somewhat problematic. Increased accessebility via the creation of better interfaces, better tutorials and perhaps some optional automations might benefit the franchise without hurting the depths of its gameplay. Given that the automations are designed in a way that skillful players improve their performance by doing it manually. This would keep a high skill ceilling intact, while giving less skilled players more chance to get into the game and enjoy it. This would just be extremly hard to pull off.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Oh....well, this is unexpected.

Gearbox makes shooters. Mostly good ones, yes, but definitely not RTS games. So, I don't really see what they...

Okay, I'll just assume they have a logical plan. Going with this assumption: Please please please please PLEASE learn from XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Gearbox. The RTS market exists, despite the repeated assertions of AAA publishers, and you can make a pretty penny if you play your cards right and give the market what it wants. Homeworld fans will be looking for three major things: story, atmosphere, and multiplayer. Hit those points and keep a reasonable budget, and Homeworld 3 could be extremely successful.

Or...you could do a genre-changing reboot. It would make no fucking sense, but given the business attitudes of the industry right now, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Good lord, Gearbox? Really? Ah well, whatever it was going to be, it wasn't going to beat the first Homeworld anyway.

I'm just going to... *flips table*

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Spectrum_Prez said:
Wait a second, people had problems with the PC version of Borderlands? I hated the game, but it ran smooth as a whistle on my underpowered laptop... it was nowhere close to a memorably bad port (thinking Halo 2 or Saint's Row 2 here).
For about six months after release the PC port of Borderlands was beyond awful. Aside from the many, many, many bugs and stability issues it had, they didn't even bother to change the UI or control options for the PC.

That meant that graphics were stuck at presets, tough luck if they didn't match your hardware. Also, the controls were preset and they were preset to an Xbox controller, even using a KB/M you couldn't alter button mapping and the game would frequently tell you to press X, A, LT or whatever to keep playing. Navigating the menus was, a trial.

'Worst X ever' gets bandied round a lot, but it really was a strong contender for the worst and laziest port of a game I've ever played, it was like getting fired back to the nineties.

Halo 2's port was fine, it was just Microsoft being retarded with the whole Windows Live/Vista thing, strip those out and it's great.

Whatwhat

Feb 23, 2012
Spectrum_Prez said:
Whatwhat said:
(maybe Europa Universalis IV shall quench my thirst for world domination for a while when it finally comes out)
Based on what's been shown in the forums, it looks pretty terrible. Way too deterministic. NIs have been *cough* 'streamlined' *uncough*. The interface looks too polished and shiny. ROTW has got absolutely no love so far and the game is supposed to launch in Q3 or so.
I seriously hope that my favourite developer won't let me down on this one because I was getting pretty excited about the naval combat and trade mechanics (I would bring Brittany or Venice to rule a major portion of the world (again :D) Oh well, better uphold Yahtzee's commandments about hyping games. EUIV is going to be complete rubbish..EUIV is going to be complete rubbish...

Oh and btw. if any CKII fan is reading this playing CKII with all the expansions and on very hard and with the mod CKII+ is "fun" (as in of your twelve quick and beautiful children only your dumb lesbian daughter will survive to carry on the line fun :D )

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Wow. 4 pages on a Homeworld thread on the Escapist?

Imma just leave this here.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Homeworld-fans-group

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
well, I remember people up in arms over XCOM when they showed footage for the shooter, but, when the strategy came out, I could of sworn everyone was pleasantly surprised. Who knows, maybe we will get lucky.... maybe.... OH WOE IS UPON US!!!!

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
A HD remaster of the first Homeworld I'd be all over it, loved those games even if they had a habit of kicking my ass something fierce, and maybe now Gearbox will be able to work on something that isn't tattered remnants of somebody else's game, might be time for them to claim some reputation back by not buggering this up.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
I'm not sure they should even bother making a trailer for this. No one's going to believe it.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
"Nothing Remains"

I think this is a somewhat apt quote...

Oh well, I enjoyed borderlands so i have a little bit of faith that it wont be that terrible. Although, i'd rather a HD Reboot of the Cataclysm and the first Homeworld, they shouldn't try a new story IMO

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Therumancer said:
mirage202 said:
Well, that killed my hopes for Homeworld 3.

RTS really is a dying genre isn't it?
Well, I think the issue is that Blizzard set the mark so high, and has dominated the scene so intensely with Starcraft that most companies are afraid to even try, the last real attempt was from the "Command And Conquer" franchise and it didn't go all that well.

I also think MOBAs did a lot to hurt the genere just as MMORPGs hurt single player RPGs. The basic arguement being from an investor standpoint is that for the same basic outlay of money you could put a lot of these really in depth and tested games online and then make a ton of money from microtransactions and/or subscription fees. Thus for a long time you saw all the RPG developers working on MMOs, or like with Amalur... doing single player games only as lead ins TO an MMO, a and with RTS games you've largely seen people looking at how what started as RTS mods (ie DoTA) making huge bank so everyone has wanted to jump on that bandwagon. All of these fly by night MOBA games pretty much being in place of what would otherwise have been regular RTS games.

Such are my observations.
Wait, companies are perfectly willing to try to usurp the immortal throne of WoW, but making a decent RTS is just suicide?

Who set this precedent and where is his face?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Double A said:
Therumancer said:
mirage202 said:
Well, that killed my hopes for Homeworld 3.

RTS really is a dying genre isn't it?
Well, I think the issue is that Blizzard set the mark so high, and has dominated the scene so intensely with Starcraft that most companies are afraid to even try, the last real attempt was from the "Command And Conquer" franchise and it didn't go all that well.

I also think MOBAs did a lot to hurt the genere just as MMORPGs hurt single player RPGs. The basic arguement being from an investor standpoint is that for the same basic outlay of money you could put a lot of these really in depth and tested games online and then make a ton of money from microtransactions and/or subscription fees. Thus for a long time you saw all the RPG developers working on MMOs, or like with Amalur... doing single player games only as lead ins TO an MMO, a and with RTS games you've largely seen people looking at how what started as RTS mods (ie DoTA) making huge bank so everyone has wanted to jump on that bandwagon. All of these fly by night MOBA games pretty much being in place of what would otherwise have been regular RTS games.

Such are my observations.
Wait, companies are perfectly willing to try to usurp the immortal throne of WoW, but making a decent RTS is just suicide?

Who set this precedent and where is his face?
Well, on a lot of levels, we did it as gamers. You can also blame the way a lot of foreign E-sports evolved around specific games.

See, with WoW it's always been quite beatable, it's just that nobody has been able to put the design and budget together in order to do so. Typically AAA MMOs wind up failing because there is no decent endgame, and that is where WoW thrives and keeps people re-upping subscriptions and playing. Sure, WoW didn't have much of an endgame when it launched, but then again nobody really did, and it has one now. People max their characters, pretty quickly given that there aren't many true MMO "newbs" anymore, and then find nothing that really motivates them to keep playing. They aren't going to sit around and keep paying for months or years for a company to finally get around to expanding the endgame, instead they will leave for a game that already has one. What's more pretty much all AAA MMOs out there try and embrace the fickle, casual demographic, and set themselves up where pretty much anyone can dial it in and wind up with top of the line gear, something which drives away most of the dedicated players because really if anyone can succeed, what is the point for them to even play? The casuals themselves tend to get their gear and move on, having nothing left to strive for, and being eternally drawn to the next shiny thing sparkling in the horizon. People keep trying because on paper WoW should be beatable but executives keep interfering with forecasts, and in general, as I said, companies who have the budget like EA tend to do stupid things like put single player game developers in charge of an MMO (ie ToR) and then bring in failed MMO developers (like Mythic) to make things even worse. Ironically a lot of the most solid games out there are relatively humble "Free To Play" affairs where they had innovation in spades, but didn't have the budget to develop to a AAA level. Pretty much every attempt to build a WoW-killer pretty much failed in the board room before they even started, and in general Blizzard has been able to tell this just by listening to these guy's own hype which is why they have rarely shown any signs of concern.

When it comes to RTS games though, it's a differant animal, the primary market for RTS games has largely become competitive, with single player existing as a market, but being seperate. You tend to largely see them played by guys like Korean E-sports players, or as MOBA games like "League Of Legends" or "Defense Of The Ancients". The thing is
that with a basic RTS foundation Blizzard has pretty much hit perfect game balance, without mirroring everything, or
at least as close as possible. Before you can even enter yourself into the equasion you have to be able to do the same thing, while still making the game fun, and that is incredibly hard to do. If you can't come up with three very distinct factions and have them be near perfectly balanced you have no real chance against Starcraft. The same can be said to an extent with MOBAs which sees more competition due to the money being made, LoL has it's problems but is also pretty solidly balanced between a huge array of characters as most people will point out (and you can see with their global win/loss percentages) if you can't produce a similar array of unique but balanced characters your dead on arrival, which a lot of people doing MOBAs have learned, you mess up, people just go back to LoL and don't come back. You become the next "I tried it, it sucks compared to this" mention in chat for the next year.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I don't really care about HW, never tried it, but i think it's safe to say that it's doomed.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
SO the same guys who killed 2 FPS franchises forever are dipping their toes into one of my favorite RTS's ever?

It's gotta be a bad dream.

I need more alcohol to wash this trauma away.

amuasyeas

Apr 9, 2013
I can only hope. Age of Empires 2 HD came out, so there's at least one RTS that isn't a Korean autism simulator. But then again, they could cock it up and fill it full of epic maymays and ridiculous DLC.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
welp i guess i should stop hoping for a good new Homeworld game, it's Gearbox they have lost my trust.