Gearbox Sues Interceptor & 3D Realms Over Recently Revealed Duke Nukem Game

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Actually, I bet Gearbox is still ticked off that it rather unfairly got a portion of the flak for the travesty that was DNF. I can see how they'd be angry when the original owners tried to use an IP that they bought not only with their money but their reputation.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm kind of reading this as "You sold us a giant rodent on the basis that it was a prize showdog. We washed and groomed the giant rodent, and took it to a dog show, and were humiliated. Now you're trying to steal the rodent back under our noses?!"

Gearbox has definitely made some- *ahem*- questionable moves in recent history. But I haven't exactly forgotten 3DRealms' behavior- sitting on their one property of value, licensing it out to bring in tiny influxes of cash, claiming that perfectionism was keeping DNF in limbo, trying to hire people on the promise of royalties that were never going to exist. Basically, the powers that be blew their chance to continue to be a real games company- and it sounds as though they're now trying to pretend the impasse that came about from their mismanagement never happened and keep licensing out their one valuable property even though it's no longer theirs.

The only reason I can't just find it out-and-out despicable is it's too entirely dumb. And sadly, all too in tune with latter-day 3DRealms' head-up-their-own-backside way of conducting business.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, a better bet would be to throw the IP away and pretend you ever had anything to do with it, I think.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Callate said:
I'm kind of reading this as "You sold us a giant rodent on the basis that it was a prize showdog. We washed and groomed the giant rodent, and took it to a dog show, and were humiliated. Now you're trying to steal the rodent back under our noses?!"

Gearbox has definitely made some- *ahem*- questionable moves in recent history. But I haven't exactly forgotten 3DRealms' behavior- sitting on their one property of value, licensing it out to bring in tiny influxes of cash, claiming that perfectionism was keeping DNF in limbo, trying to hire people on the promise of royalties that were never going to exist. Basically, the powers that be blew their chance to continue to be a real games company- and it sounds as though they're now trying to pretend the impasse that came about from their mismanagement never happened and keep licensing out their one valuable property even though it's no longer theirs.

The only reason I can't just find it out-and-out despicable is it's too entirely dumb. And sadly, all too in tune with latter-day 3DRealms' head-up-their-own-backside way of conducting business.
Pretty much this. This is too surreal. If you had told me that a company would sell the rights to their intellectual property and then try to make something with it without the permission of the people who now own the property, I'd laugh at you. No one is THAT stupid.

Well, apparently 3D Realms is that stupid.

Beyond that, I kinda feel bad for Gearbox in this situation. Duke Nukem Forever basically ruined what was a once good reputation and they weren't even responsible for most of the thing. Sure, it wasn't the only thing that hurt their reputation, but it certainly hurt a lot.

As for a Duke Nukem RPG, I can't say I care that much. Not that I was ever a fan of Duke Nukem, but making an RPG with him, just seems weird. Like making a rhythm game with Goku or Wonder Woman. Would anyone think those things would go together?

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Saltyk said:
Callate said:

Pretty much this. This is too surreal. If you had told me that a company would sell the rights to their intellectual property and then try to make something with it without the permission of the people who now own the property, I'd laugh at you. No one is THAT stupid.

Well, apparently 3D Realms is that stupid.

Beyond that, I kinda feel bad for Gearbox in this situation. Duke Nukem Forever basically ruined what was a once good reputation and they weren't even responsible for most of the thing. Sure, it wasn't the only thing that hurt their reputation, but it certainly hurt a lot.

As for a Duke Nukem RPG, I can't say I care that much. Not that I was ever a fan of Duke Nukem, but making an RPG with him, just seems weird. Like making a rhythm game with Goku or Wonder Woman. Would anyone think those things would go together?
Oh, I dunno; I can think of a few ways a rhythm game with Wonder Woman could work...

*snrksnrksnrk*

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
This gets me thinking.

We are at a tipping point of sorts. On the doorstep of a new world but still clinging to failures of the past. Obviously copywrite infringement is not something that should be encouraged when it results in a creator not being paid for their effort because the consumer just downloaded it for free. So when the genuinely wrong aspects of disrespecting the ownership of the products creator by taking it is not even the worst example of infringing on someones copywrite when with seemingly increasing frequency we are seeing developers/publishers/distributors squabble amongst themselves trying to take, acquire or coerce the ability to profit from copywritten material as if it were their own.

Put this on the fire with the Bethesda vs Interplay log and the kindling of kickstarters proceeding to develop an existing IP without even discussing it with the IP holder.

If those people in the industry are out their squabbling over the already picked clean carcasses of dead properties, what does it say about the direction the industry is headed and what that future will hold.

Problems of copywrite has been pushing hard into "somethings got to give" territory. This sort of impractical chaos can only exist so long.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Saltyk said:
Like making a rhythm game with Goku or Wonder Woman. Would anyone think those things would go together?
Actually considering what Dragonball Z combat are, a rhythm game actually fit, basically make it a bit like the game Sequence.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Fox12 said:
Oh no! Where am I supposed to get my masochistic male power fantasies from! I need a game that will allow me to escape from my man child persona, so that I can verbally abuse women even as they lavish me with attention! Where am I supposed to find a decent poop throwing simulator? Should I kickstart one?
I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could have a power fantasy that was masochistic in nature. Maybe you meant sadistic, though I'm not sure that fits either.

OT: I can't think of any reasonable way how 3D Realms thought they could get away with this, it's like they didn't get the memo that they didn't own the ip anymore.

... Or they forgot and needed a reminder. I'm not sure which is worse.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
Fox12 said:
Oh no! Where am I supposed to get my masochistic male power fantasies from! I need a game that will allow me to escape from my man child persona, so that I can verbally abuse women even as they lavish me with attention! Where am I supposed to find a decent poop throwing simulator? Should I kickstart one?
I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could have a power fantasy that was masochistic in nature. Maybe you meant sadistic, though I'm not sure that fits either.

OT: I can't think of any reasonable way how 3D Realms thought they could get away with this, it's like they didn't get the memo that they didn't own the ip anymore.

"Sadism" is a more pertinent term, it's true.

I would say sadistic fits within the context of the game. It was overwhelmingly misogynistic as well. Lets not forget the classic level where the aliens impregnated naked, crying, retching women (whom you could kill) with monsters. The ever classy Duke responds with "it looks like you're fucked," and "why do the aliens always have to take the hot ones."

Anyway, I'm not surprised that 3D realms was actually this incompetent. It's not like they don't have a track record...

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
Well, that's rather funny. First, I don't see how they ever expected to get away with it. Second, I'm having a hard time not laughing over how accepting people seem to be of seeing Duke Nukem in a top down action RPG given how much flak other companies get for not keeping new versions of old IP exactly like the old ones.
Well, to be fair, Duke Nukem is a side-scrolling platformer/shooter to me lol. Those are the only Duke Nukem games i ever played.

crispskittlez

Jan 14, 2010
-Gearbox is well within their legal rights.
-everywhere I go, people are saying Gearbox should suck it up

Because, you know, who cares about that law thing.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Oh god I would love to see a *GOOD* duke nukem game. Even if they released a Duke Nukem Forever version with fixed loading times and high res textures I'd change my mind and probably like it.

But this? A top down? Really?
No. This is not how to fix Duke.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
when they announced it and there was no gearbox name anywhere i was suspiciuos and i was right. cue the legal battles!

RicoADF said:
end up with it seriously harming their reputation.
Gearbox had reputation? Maybe back when they made those Half-Life expansion packs in 2002....

Adept Mechanicus said:
I don't see how anyone thought another Duke Nukem brand game was a good idea after Forever.
when it was announced surprisingly the comments here were cheering that. there still are people who believe it apparently.

Falterfire said:
I love how clearly you can see the hatedom hierarchy based on the comments. Company A announces plans to make game in franchise they don't own and Company B tells them no? Which company is yelled at in the comments is the one the internet hates more.
Such is life internet. It does not matter who is right, only who is likable.

crispskittlez said:

If law is thwarting progress then the law is wrong. and most same people will agree that trademark law is messed up as well i bet.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
DAMN IT! I HATE YOU GEAR BOX. Okay so before Rise of the Triad Interceptor asked GB permission to make Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded. GB said yes as long as they didn't sell it for money (talk about your dick move) Interceptor are a talented team of devs that know what they are doing and GB has only served to gets success from ripping other people (Aliens Colonial Marines)

Go to hell Gear Box and Randy Pitchfored

crispskittlez

Jan 14, 2010
Strazdas said:
crispskittlez said:

If law is thwarting progress then the law is wrong. and most same people will agree that trademark law is messed up as well i bet.
Preventing the development of a game is not so much "thwarting progress."

Magmarock said:
DAMN IT! I HATE YOU GEAR BOX. Okay so before Rise of the Triad Interceptor asked GB permission to make Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded. GB said yes as long as they didn't sell it for money (talk about your dick move) Interceptor are a talented team of devs that know what they are doing and GB has only served to gets success from ripping other people (Aliens Colonial Marines)

Go to hell Gear Box and Randy Pitchfored
Because how dare a company exercise their legal right to copyright, amirite?

Rabid_meese

Jan 7, 2014
Normally I'd say "sue away. You own the property. They sold it to you. End of story." Regardless of how you feel about Duke Nukem's turn, its still GearBox's property.

But, lets be real. The last time 3D Realms tried to make a game, GearBox ended up finishing it. After over a decade of development.

In other words, there's no need to sue. The project will never get off the ground to begin with.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I understand Duke isn't exactly popular these says but Interceptor has a talent for the absurd, and even though they got duped into doing this game I would think Gearbox has the good sense to sit down and see what they got instead of just shafting them because of 3D Realms and their shady shit.

And really this sort of non cannon game is probably one of the best ways to bring back a hated IP if it can be brought back at all.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
So they sold the rights, yet they are trying to make a new game? You can't just recieve money for the rights to make something and then make it anyway, the world just doesn't work that way.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Fox12 said:

Nowadays everyone just tries to find words ending in "ist" when insulting something as it insults who you are as a person.

OT: In a way I am glad since whatever was going to come up simply didnt have anything to do with a Duke Nukem game (they basicly said "I am tired of Duke Nukem being Duke Nukem, I want him to be something else) so they might as well create a new IP.

On the other hand this sort of thing should have been avoided all together, no one wins being involved in this things since both end waisting money.