Gearbox Sues Interceptor & 3D Realms Over Recently Revealed Duke Nukem Game

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Brian Tams said:
No, Gearbox are a bunch of dicks. No way would they have let it gone through without first getting a paycheck first.
Magmarock said:
DAMN IT! I HATE YOU GEAR BOX. Okay so before Rise of the Triad Interceptor asked GB permission to make Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded. GB said yes as long as they didn't sell it for money (talk about your dick move) Interceptor are a talented team of devs that know what they are doing and GB has only served to gets success from ripping other people (Aliens Colonial Marines)

Go to hell Gear Box and Randy Pitchfored
Once again this is caused by a particular facet of trademark law.

That being if you do not defend your trademark against any infringement, then it will set a precedent that can be used against you if the trademark becomes infringed upon again.

Gearbox do own the rights to Duke Nukem, and as result even if 3D Realms did create the IP, that doesnt give them (and, by extension, Interceptor) the right to do as they please with Duke.

In short, Gearbox are right, 3D Realms are wrong, and Interceptor should have done their homework before committing resources to an apparently doomed project.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
gigastar said:
Brian Tams said:
No, Gearbox are a bunch of dicks. No way would they have let it gone through without first getting a paycheck first.
Magmarock said:
DAMN IT! I HATE YOU GEAR BOX. Okay so before Rise of the Triad Interceptor asked GB permission to make Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded. GB said yes as long as they didn't sell it for money (talk about your dick move) Interceptor are a talented team of devs that know what they are doing and GB has only served to gets success from ripping other people (Aliens Colonial Marines)

Go to hell Gear Box and Randy Pitchfored
Once again this is caused by a particular facet of trademark law.

That being if you do not defend your trademark against any infringement, then it will set a precedent that can be used against you if the trademark becomes infringed upon again.

Gearbox do own the rights to Duke Nukem, and as result even if 3D Realms did create the IP, that doesnt give them (and, by extension, Interceptor) the right to do as they please with Duke.

In short, Gearbox are right, 3D Realms are wrong, and Interceptor should have done their homework before committing resources to an apparently doomed project.
Yeah you're right they do, there's no argument here. I still hate the company though.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i dont touch any games that have "gearbox" written on them. reading this reaction proofs me even more to stay far away from their products.

DocImpossible452

Feb 19, 2014
Reed Spacer said:
Atmos Duality said:
This is just baffling to me. 3DR obviously had to have known they didn't own The Duke anymore.
So either this is a bizarre publicity stunt, 3DR are paint-huffing imbeciles, or there's some other element we don't know about at work.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Is Gearbox pissed someone might release a worthwhile DN game?
*snickers* Not like Gearbox had anything to fear there; it was 3D Realms.
Oooh, snap.

Talk about a low blow...
Don't you see? Gearbox is PROTECTING us from the next Duke game!

They know it would either be terrible, thus trashing the series more, or somehow AMAZING, challenging the opinions of fanboys and causing mass chaos on teh internet.

Well played Gearbox

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
CriticKitten said:
RicoADF said:
Don't be pissed off at Gearbox, they wasted millions on the IP only to get the mess that was DNF and end up with it seriously harming their reputation.
So what was their excuse for Aliens: Colonial Marines? Was that 3D Realms's fault too?

Not defending 3D Realms here, mind, they're obviously in the wrong. But Gearbox hardly holds the spotless reputation you want to pretend it does. I think people are too attached to Borderlands to realize that Gearbox doesn't really have a fantastic game-developing record outside of that franchise. *shrug*
What's ACM got to do with DNF or even 3D Realm's, I said it hurt their reputation not that it effected all the games they developed since.
At the time ACM hadn't happened and so DNF did cause some serious damage to their rep. Personally it was the brothers in arms games I played most out of their selection although did later on get into Boarderlands. I wasn't surprised by DNF, heck the warning signs were there it was a game in development for 13 years or so, there was no way it was going to end well and I wasn't into duke before hand so didn't have the nostalgia effect, just pointing out that it (DNF) cost Gearbox a lot of money and reputation and now here's 3D Realms trying to steal the IP from them and make another game. Seems rather unfair for someone to abuse Gearbox for telling 3DR to piss off :p.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
All things considered, while this IS news, it should not be surprising. Gearbox in this case was clearly in the right. they bought Duke Lock Stock and Barrel, and that means nothing Duke Related happens unless they develop or publish it. why Interceptor thought they needed 3D Realms involvement is beyond me.

had they done their diligence and pitched this to Gearbox they might have had a partner instead of a foe

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Saltyk said:
As for a Duke Nukem RPG, I can't say I care that much. Not that I was ever a fan of Duke Nukem, but making an RPG with him, just seems weird. Like making a rhythm game with Goku or Wonder Woman. Would anyone think those things would go together?
While I agree with most of your post, it's not like Duke hasn't hopped genres before. He's been in FPS and 2D sidescrolling platformers. An RPG might be refreshing, on the other hand it's a very tired IP.

If by action RPG they mean something like an isometric shooter like Alien Shooter, Alien Swarm, or Shadowgrounds, it might work, assuming they cut back on the misogeny.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
snip
Money from this lawsuit will likely be funneled into Borderlands 2 DLC.
snip
Gearbox announced that the 5th head hunter pack is going to be the last BL2 DLC.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
step1999 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
snip
Money from this lawsuit will likely be funneled into Borderlands 2 DLC.
snip
Gearbox announced that the 5th head hunter pack is going to be the last BL2 DLC.
Indeed, because they're hitting memory limits on the consoles and can't really add anything to the game anymore.

Consoles: The reason why we can't have nice things.

Anyway, I would totally be down if they were able to bring on Flying Wild Hog for a new Duke game, since the work they did on updating Shadow Warrior is magical.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
This is wishful thinking, but I hope Gearbox takes over the project and lets Interceptor develop the game(That is possible, right? All that needs to change is the publisher?). A new genre jump could be what Duke Nukem needs.

Fans get a Duke Nukem game that might not suck, the IP gets a second chance to make up for the failure that was DNF, and the rightful copyright holder gets the money - and depending on how much 3DR funded already, Gearbox gets it at a discount!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Interceptor are pretty good devs. Rise of the Traid was a lot of fun and speaking to the devs on steam is always entertaining. They're a really passionate and goofy bunch who can obviously put out some really fun games. I think Duke would have been good in their hands, personally.

Oh well.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't understand how people think Gearbox is in the wrong here...

If some random developer decided to make a Half Life game without getting permission from Valve, people from this forum would be going insane with rage.

3D Realms did something stupid and now they're getting punished for it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
WWmelb said:
StriderShinryu said:
Well, that's rather funny. First, I don't see how they ever expected to get away with it. Second, I'm having a hard time not laughing over how accepting people seem to be of seeing Duke Nukem in a top down action RPG given how much flak other companies get for not keeping new versions of old IP exactly like the old ones.
Well, to be fair, Duke Nukem is a side-scrolling platformer/shooter to me lol. Those are the only Duke Nukem games i ever played.
Haha Yeah, Duke Nukem 2 was the first PC exclusive I remember buying for myself. At least in my memories, it's a pretty damn fun game.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
Duke Nukem is a franchise that continues to hurt me for loving it.

I just want a new Duke game, man..